1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name That Quotation!

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Doctor Faustus, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Doctor Faustus

The first poster provides a quotation from someone or somewhere, real or fictional, living or dead. The next poster must figure out who said that quotation and/or where it is found while also providing a mystery quotation of their own.

I'll start with a relatively easy one:

"To be or not to be, that is the question.
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune..."

2. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hamlet

Hmmm, I'm not good with quotations off the top of my head [let alone one a person could easily guess.] :\

"Loafe with me on the grass . . . . loose the stop from your / throat, / Not wrds, not music or rhyme I want . . . . not custom or lecture, not even the best, / Only the lull I like, the hum of your valved voice."

3. Aeon Magus

Leaves of Grass - Walt Whitman

" God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won’t tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time. "

4. Doctor Faustus

Albert Einstein.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

5. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Declaration of Independence - Jefferson, with a touch of Franklin [I believe.]

Hope this isn't too long:

"The sky lies flat down the slope, upon the secret clumps. Beyond the hill sheet-lightning stains upward and fades. The dead air shapes the dead earth in the dead darkness, further away than seeing shapes the dead earth. It lies dead and warm upon me, touching me naked through my clothes. I said You dont know what worry is. I dont know what it is. I dont know whether I am worrying or not. Whether I can or not. I dont know whether I can cry or not. I dont know whether I have tried to or not. I feel like a wet seed wild in the hot blind earth."

6. Doctor Faustus

William Faulkner. Admittedly I had to Google that XD.

"No man is an island..."

7. Aeon Magus

John Donne.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

8. Doctor Faustus

Winston Churchill.

"Reserving judgements is a matter of infinite hope. I am still a little afraid of missing something if I forget that, as my father snobbishly suggested, and I snobbishly repeat, a sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth."

9. Aeon Magus

The Great Gatsby. :lol:

"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon or star."

10. Doctor Faustus

Confucius.

"“In a world in which there is so much to interest, so much to enjoy, and so much also to correct and improve, everyone who has this moderate amount of moral and intellectual requisites is capable of an existence which may be called enviable; and unless such a person, through bad laws, or subjection to the will of others, is denied the liberty to use the sources of happiness within his reach, he will not fail to find the enviable existence."

11. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    John Stuart Mill (of his own free will, on a half-a-bottle shot got particularly ill)

"Life is not a spectacle or a feast; it is a predicament."

12. Shebbs

George Santayana... I think...

"You may not be her first, her last, or her only. She loved before she may love again. But if she loves you now, what else matters? She's not perfect - you aren't either, and the two of you may never be perfect together but if she can make you laugh, cause you to think twice, and admit to being human and making mistakes, hold onto her and give her the most you can. She may not be thinking about you every second of the day, but she will give you a part of her that she knows you can break - her heart. So don't hurt her, don't change her, don't analyze and don't expect more than she can give. Smile when she makes you happy, let her know when she makes you mad, and miss her when she's not there."

13. Jessica816

The one and only Bob Marley!

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

J

14. Doctor Faustus

Jack Kerouac! :grin: Amazing guy.

"I mean, the question actors most often get asked is how they can bear saying the same things over and over again, night after night, but God knows the answer to that is, don't we all anyway; might as well get paid for it."

15. Aeon Magus

Elaine Dundy.

"Why this is hell, nor am I out of it. Think'st thou that I, who saw the face of God, and tasted the eternal joys of heaven, am not tormented with ten thousand hells in being deprived of everlasting bliss?"

16. Katelynn

Mephistophilis

Asking is just polite d-d-d-demanding.

Since everyone has been posting these really deep, philosphical or literary quotes, I figured I throw in a cultural reference from the 80s. Big hint: It is a fictional character frm a short lived TV show...

17. Doctor Faustus

^ No that would be Richard Brinsley Sheridan.

kiersten's quotation is from Max Headroom.

"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent."

18. Aeon Magus

You caught onto the Faustus quote, did'ya? [​IMG]

Mahatma Ghandi.

"I am not partiall to infringe our Lawes; The enmity and discord which of late Sprung from the rancorous outrage of your Duke, To Merchants our well-dealing Countrimen, Who wanting gilders to redeeme their liues..."

19. Doctor Faustus

Yes I did. :grin:

"The Comedy of Errors" by William Shakespeare.

"I grow old … I grow old …
    I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
    I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
    I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me."

20. Aeon Magus

"The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock" by T. S. Eliot.

Teehee, good, let's jog your memory some more... XP

"All that glisters is not gold; Often have you heard that told: Many a man his life hath sold but my outside to behold: Gilded tombs do worms enfold."