1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

life goals??

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by rene, Jun 21, 2012.

1. rene

I was curious to see if anyones life goals at the moment are as strange as mine is haha, ive been told i need to aim higher in life.. you can post more then one and explain why if you wanna...

mine is i wanna play in a big band in a bar. ive been dreaming of this for a long time and it might happen this summer :slight_smile:

2. Bamber

Well, I wouldn't consider mine odd, per se, but I want to be a Special Education teacher :slight_smile:

I grew up thinking I was gonna be a doctor. I had my college picked out at age two (one of my first words was 'Hopkins!'), and I started taking specialized science classes at 13 to try and prepare. Then I signed up for Latin in high school, and took up to Latin IV, which was the highest you could go.

During my senior year, I moved in with my Aunt, Uncle, and their two kids. One of them has Down's Syndrome. She's basically the light of my life, and words cannot describe how amazing she is. She's got this sunny disposition that can't be beat and the brightest smile I've ever seen.

I decided to become a Special Education Aide the last semester of my senior year. I got to work with my cousin's (the one mentioned above) teacher, and a group of super inspiring kids aged 14-21. Two of the boys in particular were non verbal communicators with severe developmental and intellectual disabilities, and as the days went on, I fell in love. They taught me sign language, and hope, and how to smile again. Now there's no place I'd rather be than in a classroom, learning more from my kids than I could ever hope to teach them.

TL;DR: Being a doctor was my family's dream for me- I want to teach kids with Special Needs.

3. rene

thats so cool bamber.. ive actual thought about doing the same thing my grandma was a special education teacher and says id do well with it. but that is super cool that you got to do all that and realized what you really want to do in life. congrats!