1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning Languages

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Seanathon, Feb 11, 2013.

?

What language(s) do you speak?

1. English

77 vote(s)
    98.7%
  2. Spanish

32 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. French

27 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. Italian

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  5. Portuguese

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. German

14 vote(s)
    17.9%
  7. Hindustani (Hindi and/or Urdu)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Japanese

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  9. Chinese (any dialect)

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  10. Korean

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Indonesian

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  12. Thai

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  13. Polish

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  14. Greek

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  15. Arabic

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  16. Russian

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  17. Persian

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  18. Romanian

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  19. Dutch

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  20. Hebrew

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Seanathon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, I was just wondering if anyone else on here has a passion for learning languages as much as I do. I am in Spanish 4 in school and am teaching myself Japanese at home. I also plan on learning French next year in school and don't plan on stopping with just three. So, tell me what languages you can speak in the poll.

2. Xeveron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's really awesome! Learning different languages is one of the best things you can do. It opens up so many opportunities. Plus you can look totally amazing as you talk fluently to foreign people :wink:

The only other language I know well is French, but I know aspects of Italian. I really want to become fluent in French though, and I think learning German would also be rather neat.

3. Minx

I'm trying to learn Japanese, Vietnamese, and ASL.

It's slow going, but fun. :slight_smile:

4. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I am fluent only in English.

BUT

I've studied (and remember) various amounts or Japanese, German, Spanish, and just a little ASL.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    English is my native tongue, but I learned French and Latin while I was in high school. I won't say I'm like most people who you can have a somewhat conversation with, but I could probably speak it phonetically (is that the word I should be using?) or broken, but I might be able to tell what you said if you wrote it down for me. It's weird that I can read a language to an extent, but I can barely speak it.

On the side, I'm trying to/tried to learn Norwegian, Icelandic, Italian, Greek and Arabic. I should learn something more practical like Chinese or Spanish, but whatever.

6. DeanIsHome

I am fluent in English, Ilocano (Filipino dialect), Dayak, Bahasa Malay, and Cham, Cham and Dayak are actually both my first 2 languages learned English is my third even though I was born and raised in America. Those are all the languages i can read, write, and converse in but I can also read and write Arabic since I grew up a muslim i memorized the Quran and I was mainly with my moms grandparents and they tended to speak Vietnamese and Cambodian at home so I understood those and I tried learning Japanese for about 4 months but all i can do is read and write (not including Kanji)

7. nevashiva

nevashiva Guest

Woops...u are asking who speaks...I thought its about what language are you learning...I speak english and arabic...I want to learn persian (learning right now), and in the future hebrew and turkish, and kurdish....(riiiight....:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)...

#7 nevashiva, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  8. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    English and learning Spanish (although I can't stand the teacher or her teaching style), and really want to learn German.

9. I absolutely love learning languages. So far I've got Latin, German, and ASL. I hope to start learning Japanese and Korean as well, and I'll probably be taking Ancient Greek next semester.

10. Cthulhu

English only. I tried to dabble into French and Arabic, but I forgot most of what I learned in French class and Arabic was ridiculously hard to learn and very intimidating (even my family, who were born and raised in the Middle East, had trouble learning the language).

11. nevashiva

nevashiva Guest

Genuine arabic is horrible even for us native arabs arabic classes and gramar is globally hated by all arabs haha...we slang termed the hell out of it....

12. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a Spanish major and I've also picked up a little Japanese and a bit more Chinese on the side. :slight_smile:

13. Cthulhu

My mom tells me that the language they read is different from the language they speak. What they read is traditional Arabic, while they speak a totally different language (depending on the country they live in, like Lebanon or Egypt). To me, that seems analogous to English speakers learning the language through Shakespeare... oh.

14. nevashiva

nevashiva Guest

yes I would say that too, the shakespeare english kinda thing.

I mean its also one thing to be able to hear out grammatical mistakes, but actually learning them from scratch must be really difficult.....thats why english wins...it is an easy language :slight_smile:, no matter how upset do different cultures get upset about how dominant it is...

15. Suffocation

I speak fluent English, but I know basic "conversational" Japanese.

16. DeanIsHome

When i was younger memorizing the Quran i was confused by the Arabic being used until my Ustaad told me it was classical Arabic a lot different than the MSA (modern standard Arabic) plus he said the Arabic they taught us was Syrian Arabic so i was so lost when i would hear people speak in Arabic.

17. nevashiva

nevashiva Guest

Quran arabic is the worse...it is like more shakesperean than the 'official' arabic lol xD

18. Cthulhu

Plus, when my family says hello in Arabic, they don't say salam. They say "marhaba".

19. DeanIsHome

Well from what i know Marhaba means welcome while Salaam means peace, and from my interactions with many different Arabs Marhaba is mainly used by Christians since most Muslims say Salaam or Asalamualykum

20. Cthulhu

Yeah, we're a Christian Arabic family, so that makes sense.