1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum RP -- Beneath Brymassen (Test Run)

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Tetraquark, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

The village of Brymassen isn't the most exciting place. In fact, it isn't exciting at all, even by the standards of your typical farming village. The only reason you're here is to grab a bite to eat and sleep in a warm, cozy bed for once -- as an adventurer, you've spent more than your fair share of nights on the ground.

Suddenly, just as you finish the last of your dinner, a man bursts into the tavern. "Help! My children! My children have been kidnapped! Please, is there someone here who can help me?"

Do you want to help him save his children? If so, fill out a character sheet and join us for a game of dungeon crawling and roleplaying!

What is this?
    This is a roll-to-dodge-style roleplaying game loosely based on the Basic Fantasy campaign "Beneath Brymassen." The rules are simple: after creating characters, the players post their actions, and the GM (me) tells them whether they were successful or not.

For example, the first poster could say,

I would then say something like,

Of course, more than one person can play at a time, so I would wait for most or all of the players to post an action before advancing the story. Also, you won't always be successful. I will roll a dice (well, run a Python algorithm simulating a dice roll) to determine the outcome. One is the worst and 20 is the best. Your character attributes might add a bonus or penalty to the final value. There will be occasional combat, but I'm not a huge fan of gore, so the descriptions won't be overly graphic.

How do I join?
    Post a character sheet in this thread to sign up. Depending on how many people there are, not everyone may get to play right away (the original campaign calls for 3-6 players; I definitely won't go over 10). This is intended as a test run, so if all goes well, you may be able to join in on future adventures. Replacements will also be needed if someone dies or quits.

To create your character, pick a name, class, and race, as well as your pronouns and starting items. Items can be anything you might need for an adventure, from rope to swords to rations, though you may carry no more than 5 at a time. Mages and clerics may also pick a spell. Your class and race will determine your bonuses and penalties. Your character profile can also contain any other background information on your character (what languages they know, what their occupation is, etc). See the end of the post for a sample character sheet.

Classes:
    • Fighter
    • Cleric
    • Mage
    • Thief

Races:
    • Human
    • Elf
    • Dwarf
    • Halfling

Spells (Cleric):
    • Cure Light Wounds
    • Detect Evil
    • Detect Magic
    • Light

Spells (Mage):
    • Detect Magic
    • Light
    • Magic Missile
    • Shield
    • Sleep

---------- Post added 2nd Mar 2013 at 06:43 PM ----------

Example character sheet
    Name: Tetra
    Race: Elf
    Class: Mage

Spell: Sleep
    Items: Novice wizard robes, staff, scroll of healing

Tetra dropped out of the University of Magi after realizing one day that she was better suited for the life of an adventurer. Now she wanders the country in search of fame and glory. She can speak Common and Elf.

#1 Tetraquark, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013
  2. Just Jess

Name: Mary
    Race: Human
    Class: Thief

Spell: None
    Items: Lockpicks, 2 daggers, backpack, light armor

Mary (who never introduces herself as such) makes her living as a street performer. She'll make some of her money through donations as people watch her juggle, and a little more as they walk away. One thing she'd always noticed is that adventurers tend to have heavy pockets. So she's trying her hand at an honest living and is seeking out an adventuring party.

3. Acobi

Acobi Guest

Name: Pith
    Class: Cleric
    Spell: Cure Light Wounds

Starting items: Basic robes, oak staff, healing wand, novice spell book, potion bottle

Pith is a young cleric who has just finished his basic training in the healing arts at the city’s Temple. With natural talent, he rose through this training faster than all the other beginner clerics. From this he was subjected to intense experimentation by the Temple’s bishops who did not understand Pith’s natural attunement to magic. Pith quickly learned of the Temple’s corruption. After intense planning, Pith was able to escape from his prison and flee the city in hopes of both returning his Temple to the light and thwarting the corruption of the other Temples. Pith now looks towards the path of an adventurer and sets out on his quest.

#3 Acobi, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013
  4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

[​IMG]

Name: Astrid
    Race: Human
    Class: Fighter

Starting items: Rapier, chain shirt, backpack, rope 30-ft, crowbar.

Astrid is a knight errant sent out by the clerics of a neighboring city. She's a soldier, but it's peace-time. Therefore, her mission is more open-ended, to spread compassion and justice. Through prayer, something has called her here...

5. Just Jess

OOC (Out of character): Tetraquark, did you want us to start playing right away? Or wait for more people to join?

If it's the former: I say to the man "Slow down, I can help. I know this town like the back of my hand. But I want to be up front, I don't work for free. What can you offer as a reward?"

6. BudderMC

^ if it's the latter, I'll join up, I just can't fill it out right this second as I'm headed out the door!

7. Gallatin

Name: Alexei
    Class: Thief

Items: Bow, arrows, black cloak, horn, and pieces of a broken crown.

Not much is known about Alexei. Some point to the broken crown and say he was a prince; others think he killed a prince. What is known is that he is one of the finest archers around, and he's come to this place to keep a low profile. It seems he had a brush with the law a few towns over, and is now a fugitive of sorts.

8. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

((I was waiting for at least three people to sign up. Others can still join later if they want.))

The man responds, "My wife and I have 45 gold pieces in our possession. We would give all of it away if it meant getting our children back."

((You're good to go!))

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Sir, where were they taken from? Your home? How long have they been gone? By the grace of god, I shall help you find them! Come, let me off with you to the scene of this dark art!"

10. Munyal

Name: Jesus Christt. (Note the extra 't' making it ok)
    Race: Halfling
    Class: Cleric
    Spell: Detect Magic

Starting Items- Ability to start a not-church, Self-sacrificial abilities, long hair

Jesus Christt has been considered to be an interesting person since birth, when a stipid star would not get out of his face! It was supposed to go down the street to the actual Jesus Christ! He has a strange ability to get people very confused about his gender and will not explain past, "I prefer not to limit myself to one gender." And for that matter, his romantic interests can include those of any race or role playing game. (For Example, Jesus Christt has romantic interests in Miranda Lawson and Carth Onasi.) Jesus Christt is also an atheist.

11. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

The man looks relieved. "Thank you! May the Heavens bless you! They were playing out in the fields before dinner when a band of skulking creatures grabbed them and ran off to the hills on the outskirts of town. Come, I'll show you and any others who will aid me the way."

He looks around the tavern anxiously one more time before turning to face the door.

((Welcome to the game!))

((Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: your hit points are determined by class. Fighters get 5, Thieves 4, Clerics 3, and mages 2. Note that this is subject to change if the balance feels off. Also, everyone gets 1d6 times 10 gold to start with. Of course, everyone also has 0 experience (you almost certainly won't be earning enough to level up in this campaign, but if all goes well, you can carry your character over to future games).))

((Gold:
    • Pith: 40
    • Astrid: 60
    • Mary: 10
    • Alexei: 50
    • Jesus Christt: 10
    ))

12. Gallatin

*rises from his table in the corner* "Children taken, eh? Well, I suppose looking for them is better than just sitting here waiting for the law to show up - count me in."

13. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    can i be a villan?

14. Just Jess

I try to catch up to him and I ask him to describe his kids.

15. Yamato

Is it too late to join? If not heres my character:

Name: Senri
    Class: Fighter

Items: Sword, Shield, Rope, Chain mail shirt, Rations

Senri was taught how to fight and use a sword by his father from a young age. He set off as an adventuerer after finding that he disliked working on the farms in his village. He has since had a few small adventures but nothing hugely intersting or eith much money involved.

16. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

The man says he has four children, two boys and two girls, ranging in age from 4 to 9, all dark-haired like him and tan from spending their days outdoors.

"Thank you. If everyone is ready, I can show you the way now. I will return here afterward to see if I can find any others to aid you."

((There isn't really room for a villain in this campaign. Besides, it would be somewhat awkward to have the villain post in a place where the heroes could see their every move. This may or may not change in the future; keep in mind that this game is a "test run" so that I can get a feel for how to run this sort of game.))

((Nope, it's not too late. You're good to go! You have 40 gp.))

((No one wants to play a mage? Is the one-spell limitation too restrictive?))

17. Yamato

"What did the creatures that took your children look like?"

18. Just Jess

((I'll switch to mage if it's okay so we can test. If it's okay I'll switch my lockpicks out for a spellbook, and my light armor out for a bag with stage magic stuff (deck of cards, cups and balls, etc) and I'll wanna dual class later. My spell would be sleep))

19. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

((Okay. Are you keeping your two daggers and backpack? Basic Fantasy seems to only have one dual-class (mage/fighter), but I'm bending the rules so much at this point that adding additional dual-classes won't be that big of a deal.))

((Also, from now I'll wait for most people to post their turns before updating. So if you want the game to move forward, post!))

20. SecretSheik

Out Status:
    A few people
    (( I leave for a few days to work on audio dramas and I stumble upon this.... ^_^ Awesome!! Just a quick question? Is it too late to add another character to the group?? If not I'll do it next time, and if it's NOT too late... I'll make something as soon as I can just let me know when and I'll post as quick as I can. I would've asked through a private message but sadly...I can't just yet.))