1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essay Contest 1

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Emberblaze, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Emberblaze

Okay, first prompt, so here we go!

What is your story? Tell us who you are? Where you've come from in life? Something about you? It doesn't matter! All I want to know is--what is your story!

No word limit (remember! quality over quantity! Longer isn't better and shorter isn't precision!)

Deadline is: Tuesday July 9, 2013 at 11:59pm

I'll open a thread at the halfway mark (Tuesday, July 2) and that will be the thread where submissions will be posted, and all entries posted after the deadline will not be available options in the voting thread.

So, do your best everybody! (Lemme know in this thread if you have questions comments thanks praise veneration, etc)

2. Emberblaze

Oh, and just to get an idea of how many people are actually planning on doing this, can I get a quick roll-call to see how many people participate?

If you're gonna do it, just say "present" or something in this thread

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Present... In all hopes. :wink:

4. Hexagon

I will probably do this. But you have to help me. I understand there is no word limit, but a general idea? I simply cannot write without a general idea. I think it may be autism. I can't cut vegetables unless I have a measurement, it pisses my mother off so much.

5. Emberblaze

I had in my head for it to be no more than 1000 words honestly because I hate limiting writing.

But something around 500 words I guess? Heh I understand your need to know

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Present.

7. Hexagon

Thanks

You should post the submissions thread in anon or find another way of keeping them secret.

8. Emberblaze

Oh I didn't know if people would prefer being anonymous or having people know it was them. I figured if someone's entry won, then they'd rather everyone know they won

9. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm game, where do u want me to post it

10. Emberblaze

I'm gonna make a thread once we reach the halfway mark of the contest, and that's were they'll be posted until the deadline

11. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Present, though I may not meet the deadline.

How exactly do submissions go? Is it based anonymously?
    I figure that since this is a personal topic, the authors of certain pieces will likely be identifiable which makes an anonymous-based system impractical. Unless if it's vague.

12. Hexagon

Thats not why. It may also be that some people would prefer to remain anonymous for other reasons, but it won't be a fair vote if people know who the entries belong to before they vote. For instance, I might be inclined to vote for a friend, rather than the best entry.

13. Emberblaze

Eh, I guess that's true. Plus this is a personal topic, so I'll probably make it anonymous, and if people have the itch to tell who they are after the vote, then they can. Alrighty, thanks for the tip man

I'm going to make a thread in anonymous when there's only a week left for the deadline and that thread is where all submissions will go. To make the voting fair, the submissions are gonna be made anonymously

14. Gen

Gen

I'm sure they would, but for the voting process it should be anonymous. People will consciously, or unconsciously, gravitate to the submissions of the posters they are more fond of. As far as the world limit, as much as I would hate to have to be the one to assign one as well; word limits are actually much more positive than negative. It's just like those college application essays. They give you 1000 words to write two different short essays, which always pisses everyone off. Though at the end of the day, it really forces you to think and be very particular about the way you use your words.

Personally, I would recommend keeping the essays in the 500-2000 range, because most members on here probably don't want to read multiple 6 page papers.

15. biggayguy

I'm in! I've been wanting to get back into writing anyway.

16. Emberblaze

Heh duly noted about the word limts. i didn't really expect people to get too crazy with it, but I understand completely. I'm probably gonna leave this one limitless but if this succeeds and everyone likes the contests then I'll keep em coming and have limitations on the words

17. suninthesky

Present! But I guess even if it's anonymous, people can look at this thread and guess who's is who's. But, too much energy.. not a big deal. Thanks for doing this!

18. Emberblaze

My pleasure! ^^ And you have a VERY valid point lols

19. animequeen567

I hope you'll take a late entry. Present.

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As much as I talk about myself in short posts, I don't think I'm up for a full-on concise autobiography. Next time for me :/ I'd be okay with judging though, if apps are open.