1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "queer apologetic"

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RainbowMan, Jul 20, 2013.

1. RainbowMan

I just read an article in the Journal of Bisexuality (sadly not free, but linked for those at a university that might subscribe) explaining the use of bisexuality as a "transitional identity" and found it incredibly interesting.

Obviously, bisexuality is something that is very real, heck there's an entire academic journal devoted to the topic. However, for 10 out of 30 study participants (and the sampling was nonrandom, so generalities can't be drawn from this data) they initially came out as bisexual, despite having only interests for the same sex.

There are two main reasons that the participants did this, both related to retaining something of a heterosexual identity. Either they wanted to retain some sense with their parents and other loved ones that there was some possibility of them engaging in a "normal" relationship one day, or they had an internal need to do the same thing (i.e. they were not willing to let go of the social norms that they had been brought up with).

However, something that was mentioned in the conclusion of the article caught my eye:

It goes on to say:

What do people think of this? Did anyone here engage in a "queer apologetic" stance, and why? I think that the author has an extremely good point that people that do this lessen the "validity" (my term) of bisexuality.

2. nguittar

Hello,

I hope you don't mind me posting this message, but I am the author of the article you cited, and I just wanted to let you know that I would be glad to share a free copy with you (email deleted). I am the principal advocate for LGBTQ rights on my university campus, and I am so grateful to see that you've read and enjoyed the article. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know. The theme you read about (The Queer Apologetic) is one chapter of a larger book that will be released in February 2014 titled Coming Out: The New Dynamics (published by Lynne Rienner).

Best,
    Nick

#2 nguittar, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013
  3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am unclear from what you're citing what the queer apologetic is. Does it simply mean "a gay or lesbian person who transitioned through some multisexual identity?"

Also, can we please not sanction the author of the article for making a mistake by publishing his personal information without checking the forum rules? We have an academic interest here...

4. starfish

Wow there is a whole journal devoted to bisexuality. I just googled it and it has been published quarterly since 2000. I had no idea there was that much to write on the topic.

I don't have access to the article, so I can't comment on it as a whole. I would agree that bisexuality is an invisible minority. I can also understand why that happens. To misuse a math term, I would say it is because over time bisexuals asymptotically approach approach either homosexuality or hetrosexuality.

Assuming non-polyamorous relationships you'll either be in a hetero or homo relationship. When you are younger and have many relationships, you'll appear as bisexual. However as you settle down those relationships will become longer, and to the outside world you'll appear either straight or gay.

5. RainbowMan

FWIW, I've asked the author to post a link in this thread rather than sharing his email (which I sadly had to edit out). We'll see if he's able to do that or not.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been familiar with the Journal of Bisexuality for some time, and it feels pretty validating that people study us... I feel left out of, or reduced by most queer academic writing. Before I get too far into it, I think I'll let someone explain exactly what the queer apologetic is so that I know what we're talking about.

All I know is that I hate anti-bisexual prejudice from gay and lesbian people. I've written about my hatred of it at length and yelled at my fair share of people...

Ziester Adrian

7. RainbowMan

The queer apologetic is someone that despite having feelings only for the same sex, identifies as bisexual externally.

Nick - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or have misstated :slight_smile:

8. nguittar

First off, I am very sorry for not reading the forum rules. I simply got excited to see the conversation and I posted without doing my homework. I am posting a link below that the publisher of my article shared with me. It allows 50 free views/downloads. I just ask that people who work/study on a university campus please leave the free copies for people who do not already have free access to an academic library.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

The "queer apologetic" is an original concept I coined in my current line of research. The queer apologetic is essentially a form of identity compromise whereby individuals disclose an intermediate or transitional identity situated somewhere between a) their personal attractions for only members of the same sex and b) society’s expectation that they be attracted only to members of the opposite sex. I'm talking about individuals who, despite having only same-sex attractions, come out initially as bisexual because a) they themselves are not ready to let go entirely of "normalcy," or b) they believe their family/friends will be more accepting of a bisexual identity than a gay identity. The first group identified (at least initially) as bisexual both internally AND externally, while the second group identified as bisexual only externally.

More about info on why I chose the term "apologetic" can be found in the paper. Btw, all 10 individuals who employed the queer apologetic were surprised to find that it backfired as friends and family all but forced them to identify as gay. This outcome is tied closely to the flawed dualistic thinking we employ in the U.S. (i.e., gay/straight, black/white, right/wrong) which trivializes the beautiful and complex realities around us. It is well documented that many heterosexual people feel that they are "100% straight," and everyone else is, by default, gay (I can provide readings if you'd like). This heteronormative ideology explains a lot of the relative invisibility of bisexuality.

I would love to discuss the concept further, but I'll wait until you've had a chance to read the article. The arguments in the paper build throughout, so it's best to read it in full. However, the "applied" elements of the Queer Apologetic (e.g., how the QA affects the bisexual community) is located in the conclusion. In you are bisexual and have friends in the LGBTQ community who are not bi-affirming, have them read the article. I have another pending article about people who previously identified as bisexual but now identify as pansexual, polysexual, queer, or fluid (primarily to try and avoid bi-phobic rants and stereotypes cast upon them by other people).

The crux of my entire research trajectory is to fight social inequality on matters of gender and sexuality--any comments/suggestions are always welcome.

-cheers