1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know who I am, help

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by shadelz, Jul 21, 2013.

1. shadelz

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Please someone help, I need someone to just help me find out what I am. I have recently been questioning my masculinity and femininty. Ever since I was young(from some bits and pieces) had more of a feminine vibe. Till I was 4 years old or five I was raised with long blonde hair(it turned black but still) as part of tradition in my family when you lose a son or if you want him or her to be healthy you are raised opossitly so when the angel of death comes thinks it'd not right because their not the right gender and leaves. Anyway until I was about 13 I was pretty confident as a male but in the last year I just feel no this is wrong I shouldnt be a man I would love to wear dresses skirts paint my nails and be feminine I enjoy being well pretty and not manly. But I guess after I masturbate(really to anything) I say really man stop this shit you know your not a girl look down and see for yourself. And sometimes I just want to be a man and I put that face on and try to convince myself no your a guy. But the rest of the time I feel like a girl and I'm scared because I don't know which is the real me the more facial hair I get the happier I am but also the more depressed I am. Like when something like this or a serious thing happens i dont cry i just get angry or repress like i was taught as part of being a guy because before i would cry and i was fragile until i hid those emotions and now i cant feel much anymore havent cried in a long time. I guess because I feel my dad will be proud and see me even more manly cause since I was young we just talked about my beard and his and when I'm 30 he will love having a drink with his son. I don't know I am litterally confused which I am cause I can't stand being male but I feel like shit will go bad as a girl and that wouldn't pass on top of that. IF I am transgender I feel my family will lose it my parents lost one son and It would cruah them to lose another and my mother isn't to happy about transgender or lesbians( both of which I would be) after my sister came out it was pretty obvious. My dad still loved my sister and he didn't give a rats ass if she was straight bi or lesbian he loved her all the same. But as a son I feel that it will be a little different and he might lose his shit. I just wish I was born female to just not have to go through this:bang:. I don't want to ask to see a therapist just because then I would be judged and raise red flags. I can't see a gender therapist untill I'm of to college where I don't have to tell anyone or ask to go. I just feel like If I became a women I'd be happy till maybe 50 then go awwwwwww fuck. And I'd have to hide everything when I'd come to vist my family, im growing my hair out painting my nails, shaving my legs, trying to get my breasts to grow, i play vollyball to and most of my close friends are female. So please I need some help something please I can't think anymore cause of all this. Please :help::tears:

2. rose94

Hi. From what you've said it sounds like you are trans* and it's the reaction you'd get that is making you unsure. Whenn you 'want to be a man', it sounds as if you want to fit in but it is still not you. I can't give you any answers, but have you spoken to your sister (she's gay right)? Maybe she would be the easiest person to approah first.

I hope you find some peace within yourself.

3. shadelz

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    The sad thing is is that your right. I feel I will lose everyone my friends, and my girlfriend, some family at the least. I have this pit feeling that keeps saying don't, you will regret it and I wish It would shut up. I feel like I have a world of shame, and humility on my shoulders cause I even remember when I was little I tried to shut it out of my mind till now, I rememeber a wrestler and he wore dresses and such and he got so much critisism and hate but never cared I wanted to be like that. Even throughout the years I remember having dreams about just waking up and being changed, wearing my sisters heels and I felt happy but still shamefull and the shame bashed it out of me to stop. I tried to conform to being a guy and that very feeling is keeping me from letting this go on any further.

4. hiddenxrainbows

I know how you feel because I've been going through similar stuff. i haven't told anyone about my gender except my boyfriend, and I haven't really done anything yet to try to pass or anything. Partly because I'm scared to. A lot of people don't understand what being trans means. I know my dad wouldn't. Hel, he doesn't even like gay people, and I haven't even told him I'm bi yet because I'm scared of how he'd react...And one of my coworkers is really transphobic. One day, everyone got on the topic of trans people and he just started going off about how they're so disgusting and stuff. So I got into an arguement with him because I thought it was bullshit. But yeah, I can understand being scared to come out. The possibility of being rejected is scary. But you can't be scared to live your life because some people might get pissed at you for it. If you try pushing it away just to please everyone else, it's only going to make you miserable in the end. We have to find strength to live the way we want because we don't deserve to be subjected to this.

5. RainbowMan

I think that the prior posters have it exactly right. I have no idea what you're going through, I can't claim to as I'm a male that is happy with my body as is.

But with regards to my orientation, I'm feeling the same things - an intense fear that I'll lose people that matter to me. However, you can't live your life for someone else - you have to live it for you. If being authentic about who you are is important to you (and it sounds like it is), then do it.

Of course, the usual safety disclaimers apply - if you feel that you could be harmed (i.e. be kicked out of the house, physically abused, financial support withdrawn, etc) then it's better to not disclose at present, and wait until you're financially independent to disclose.

6. Just Jess

I wanna share a quote that helped me a lot coming to terms with me,

"I’m not ashamed to dress ‘like a woman’ because I don’t think it’s shameful to be a woman" - Iggy Pop

You know this world's got lots of people that feel just like you. I'm one of them. I honestly believe every single one of us feels this pressure to just be what we're "supposed" to be. And I mean sometimes it's a good thing when you're little. I mean when you're too young to have any real empathy, it's what keeps you from hitting your little brother or sister, you know bad things are going to happen to you if you do.

But I really feel like once you have real empathy and understanding, that feeling gets in the way. And I think people that know how to get past that fear (without turning into jerks, that empathy is important) have a real advantage in life. So that's how I try to view being trans. It's a small part of me that pushes me past that fear all the time. It puts me at odds with every person in my life that could make decisions for me, no matter how much I love them, and forces me to make my own choices instead. I mean inside I'll always be a scared little girl. But most of the things I'm scared of, I've experienced. I know how to deal with them, or if I can't deal with them, I know how to minimize the damage and recover later. The mystery is gone now.

See the thing is, some of what you're "supposed" to do, I feel, is kind of messed up. You gave a good example. Why do you feel it would be different with your dad if your sister is gay?

So you know, some of the consequences you are imagining are possible. If you transition some people might not be okay with it. It might put you at odds with your family.

But what happens if you don't transition? Maybe nothing; I don't want to push you in that direction if you decide you don't want to. But if I can share a little bit of my story here.

I met a girlfriend. I told her I cross dressed right off the bat. Spoiler due to TMI and because this is a little personal,
    I've also, with one single exception in seven years, never been able to orgasm with her through either penetrative sex, or oral when she was the one giving.
    . I had many nights when I would be up past 3 in the morning, if I even slept, just so there would be time for me to be me; it was worth being a zombie the next day. I'd watch youtube videos of other people's transitions. I'd admire people for their courage, and just tell myself that it would never be me. Outside, I would always be the one eating the craziest things and drinking whatever you put in front of me. I was incredibly over the top macho because it was an act.

Well before that, I was socialized male, but there are differences between acting like a boy and being a boy that meant that some parts of my life never ever made sense to me. I got by, acting and being exhausted and envious of over half the population and constantly fighting with and policing myself - I'm supposed to do this, I'm supposed to feel this way - for years. At 18 I thought I would definitely transition one day. By 20 I'd convinced myself it would never happen. By 25 I left the military, met a girl, and thought that telling her I cross dressed would be enough. By my second semester of college I knew this house of cards I'd put together was going to fall. By senior year it did fall.

I'd succeeded. See you know how you feel like there are a lot of people in your life you have to make happy? I did. I made them happy. I made every single person in my life except me happy. Except when you're sharing your life with someone, if you aren't happy, they aren't happy. My girlfriend - she was my fiancee then, it breaks my heart and hers whenever we think about the wedding but we both agree it's not a good idea right now - she and I are so very close. We've always been able to complete each other's sentences and had a really good idea what the other was thinking most of the time without saying anything. There is no way to hide anything from someone you are that close to.

So one day she develops a condition that I won't go into, but which leaves us more or less celibate for years. And it feels to both of us like a relief. We're both frustrated, but there are other ways to take care of that problem. But as we go on we're both more and more depressed every day. She's open about the fact that we feel more like roommates than lovers, and neither of us likes it. We're deeply in love of course, but the intimacy just disappears. One day, I'm pulling all nighters for a solid week for college, and I come home, and she accuses me of cheating on her. When I say no, she breaks down in tears and says she wishes I had, so she didn't feel this pressure.

I know, of course, underneath, why things have been going downhill. Well not the whole reason, relationships are about two people, but I have one hell of a deal breaking problem that I'd been able to fully admit to myself some time during college. I know I'm trans. I know cross dressing and the double life isn't going to work. I know the person I am inside needs to shine through, and until she does, things are just going to get worse in every aspect of my life.

So I screw up my courage and tell her, that there is something I could do, that I felt like I needed to do, and it would mean so much more than her hurting herself trying to make love like she feels she should. See that goes back to those screwed up expectations society puts on us about what we "should" do. She felt like it was her duty to hurt herself to make me happy. And really, in a way, I was feeling the exact same thing. I felt like I should continue hurting myself to make her happy, and I realized right then how crazy that feeling is. I tell her we would never need to make love again, and that it's okay if she's straight, but that I've always felt like a woman underneath, that cross dressing was not going to work, and that I needed to transition.

What happened after that was the most pain I have ever been through in my life, and I have not had an easy life. The person I had spent so much time trying to make happy, like you feel you should, had everything ripped away from her. And I knew it was my fault. I knew marrying would be a mistake, of course. I knew what would happen - what was happening already. I knew that she deserved better than a sheep in wolf's clothing, even if she had to learn how to be just as fierce and cunning as a wolf after wearing it so long. I knew I deserved someone that viewed me as I am. I knew that this double life was screwing me over in so many ways. I had to stop fighting myself, right then and there.

But that did not make a thing easier. I went to a therapist for the first time in my life just because the pain of my coming out had nearly destroyed me. I'm just glad I had the courage to tell them about my gender mismatch as well.

Since then my girlfriend and I have told most of her family about me, and almost all of my friends. And what I realized was that everything I had worked so hard to do, all those people I felt like I needed to make happy, it was all just a waste of time. The truth was, if I had come out sooner, and started transitioning sooner, I would already be a woman inside and outside. The pain was just something I'd delayed. Maybe I delayed it until I was ready to deal with it, and it was for the best, I don't know. But the pain was always coming. Transition was just something I needed to do, and if I had done it sooner, I would have spared a lot of people a lot of heartache.

See I am a woman. I'm apparently one hell of an actress, but there is only so long that you can act instead of being you and expect it to work.

I'm not saying everyone with a gender mismatch needs to transition, medically or otherwise. I've seen some people that don't. But I needed and need to. What I am saying, is that keeping this kind of thing secret any longer than you have to, is not good for anyone. But odds are you want to, and if you want to after coming out, you probably should.

Now that said, you aren't in college yet. Just putting my practical hat on, being in college when I came out DID make a lot of things way easier. I was more independent, the university had a great trans support group, my therapist was free. So if you decide to wait until then to come out, that might actually be a good decision. But whether you can handle waiting that long - or longer, again, transition has to be your choice and no is a valid choice too - that's something you'll have to decide.

Hey good luck to you and welcome to EC anyway :slight_smile: Sorry I wrote a book, I think every woman in my shoes writes about that much when they get into their backstory.

7. shadelz

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Thanks for going into everything really was very informative. I just have to ask you did you ever feel like one day you knew you wanted to just be female, and the next you might be doubting yourself like mhhh lets just think this through. I also feel I would br happy dressing in women's clothes and if I had the female shape, boobs, etc. But that I fear I won't pass at all, and that my mindset isn't trully like a women's would be. Like I lack a lot of empathy, I don't feel like I handle things like a girl would, or talk like a girl would. I think these are the last things I need to figure out.

8. Just Jess

As far as doubts? Oh my god yes, we all go through that from what I've read. I still go to work in my "boy mode", and that's usually when it's the worst for me personally.

I mean some of that is, you have lived as a boy for so long. People that grew up girls had to learn how to act like women too. They just got a chance to learn this stuff at 7 is all.

So being transgendered - that's the umbrella term and includes people who have a male identity and dress as women, not just transitioners - to me is all about being yourself. So not "what would a girl do in this situation", more "what do I feel like doing in this situation".

So it's possible that transition wouldn't be for you, sure. I mean I can tell you firsthand just how much the wrong hormones pumping through your veins suck.

Really I think you've got it though. It takes a lot of time to sort out how much of what you feel is fear and how much is real. But I really feel like, once you've taken fear out of it, the right answer for you will present itself.

I would set all the "I am a" stuff aside for now though, and just ask "I need to" questions. That helped me anyway. Not "I am a crossdresser" or "I am a transsexual", but "I need to wear skirts" and "I need to transition". Even "transition" itself is kind of a blanket term. There are some people that transition without any hormones or surgeries, just to living and presenting as female full time, for example. For every surgery or treatment that can help us pass and be who we are, there is at least one woman who doesn't get it.

Also men that present as women, a lot of them are people that women both like me and born female go to for a lot of make up and fashion advice. A lot of them just look incredibly beautiful, and it takes a lot of effort and know how to pull it off. What they do is in my view just as much a transition as what I'm doing. The difference is with me it's eventually all the time; they have to build it all up and tear it down in the same day. There's trade-offs both ways.

So what I'm saying is, underneath words like "cross dressing" and "transitioning" we are really talking about millions of things that people pick and choose. It's all about you figuring out how to live your life in a way that makes sense to you, and just doing that.

As far as passing... I don't remember where I heard it, but the best way I heard it put was "if a cis gendered woman woke up one day with a mustache and a doctor told her her testosterone was too high, what would she do about it". So yeah it's important to some of us. I'm one of them. But it doesn't define the whole transition for me. It sucks, but women really are judged on our appearances, and starting out having gone through male puberty puts me at a disadvantage there.

But I don't take it too seriously. Passing to me is more about looking attractive to men. Society is stupid basically. It's exactly what being either strong or smart is to a man; if you don't have a little bit there you are just going to be crapped on. Worse, there's safety concerns there if they figure out you're trans. But... honestly I don't find men attractive. So yeah I put some effort into it because I have some stuff to compensate for. But it is not what defines my transition. I just want to be able to socialize with other women like a normal woman; that's my bar. I'm not out to land dates or make jaws drop.

And that kind of passing is totally doable for most people; it just takes a long time. Just doing laser hair removal has helped me a ton in that department.

The most important part though is that I know I'm a woman even if other people can't figure it out. So yeah, I totally agree with you. If you still feel like you might be a man, that is definitely something to figure out before taking any other steps.

9. shadelz

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Yeah I just don't want to end up regreting anything even though most thinga are reversable juat sterility which I could bank some sperm and be fine, actually that's a plus, now I cant get a girl pregnant unless I choose :icon_bigg but I guess I need to do what is right for me. I feel I will always hide it to my parents and family I guess in the same way you don't dress as a women at work. I'm already feminine looking but I think hormones are right for me. I just don't think I will get srs I don't think its nessisary. But one of the things that will be a pain is changing how I talk in my languages. English isn't my first but its my best, I will have to cjange my speech in my german, french, russian, spanish, and italian (armenian was my first language but it has no gender) well I guess I don't need to be in a rush to do anything I think I if I transition I needs to be in college. Thanks for everything

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2013 at 12:02 PM ----------

:kiss:Yeah I just don't want to end up regreting anything even though most thinga are reversable juat sterility which I could bank some sperm and be fine, actually that's a plus, now I cant get a girl pregnant unless I choose :icon_bigg but I guess I need to do what is right for me. I feel I will always hide it to my parents and family I guess in the same way you don't dress as a women at work. I'm already feminine looking but I think hormones are right for me. I just don't think I will get srs I don't think its nessisary. But one of the things that will be a pain is changing how I talk in my languages. English isn't my first but its my best, I will have to cjange my speech in my german, french, russian, spanish, and italian (armenian was my first language but it has no gender) well I guess I don't need to be in a rush to do anything I think I if I transition I needs to be in college. Thanks for everything:kiss:

10. Just Jess

Holy crap, 7 languages! I can barely manage English and bad German. I'm really jealous! I saw a few countries around the Med but I never got to see Armenia.

You know I will probably never be out to my GF's dad either. So I totally get that too.

Really glad what I said was helpful :slight_smile:

11. shadelz

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    It's not hard to learn the languages really I picked up french and Italian in six months each so I guess I have a nack for languages. And yeah armenia is in a weird spot we are the pivit point into asia europe and africa that's what screwed us through out time by everyone. Eh its a beautiful place depending on where you go you can see the entire country in about 2 days