1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to therapist?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cynder, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Cynder

Ok guys, so I'm wondering how to tell my therapist that I think I'm trans. I've wanted to get into gender therapy for awhile, and to get into my transition, but my mom doesn't know. I have some issues with my dad, and my mom knows I'm bisexual, so I convinced her to let me go to a lgbt therapist for that, because she has mentioned therapy in the past. The only problem is that my mom talked to the therapist and got everything set up, and I don't know how to tell the person that one of the main reasons I actually want therapy is for my gender identity. Any ideas?

Also, tomorrow is our first meeting, but the therapist asked my mom to come with me so I feel comfortable, so I don't know when I'd be able to tell her.

So does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

2. LD579

Your mom doesn't have to be with you for the whole appointment. If the therapist says something like he/she'd like to spend some time with you alone, hop on that train of thought. Most therapists usually do such things...

If it doesn't happen this time, next time you could tell the therapist. I'm quite sure most therapists are aware there are issues that some just don't want to say in front of their parents.

It's very important that you tell the therapist, though, because then he/she'll be able to help you further because he/she'll will have a better idea of what's bothering you.

3. RainbowMan

100% agree with Luthan. There needs to be some things that you tell the therapist alone, with your mom not in the room. IIRC, the therapist that I had when I was much younger (god, how I wish I would have known about my sexuality at that time....different thread :grin:), she asked at pretty much every session if there were things that I wanted to discuss not in the presence of my parents.

If it doesn't happen, ask for it. I don't think that they'll tell your mom that you're trans, but it will help for them to help you, and eventually broach the subject with your mom.

Help your therapist help you!