1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

26yr old seeking advice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Dreamscape, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Dreamscape

Hello everyone!

This is my second post on this site so... yay! If you're reading this topic it should be kind of obvious what its about, i'm 26 and i'm looking for advice/opinions/guidance etc regarding MTF transition.

Lets start out with this, NO. i have not told anyone yet.... As far as most of my friends know im just a shut-in who loves weed and cant be stuffed putting in the effort to get a girlfriend lol how little we truly know.... anyway i've only just resolved to actually speak to my GP and book in to speak with a gender therapist.

Basically, being that i'm 26yrs old, i feel like i've reached a point where i think this is the right time for me to begin my transition. Unfortunately Coming from a family full of men, it's been exceptionally hard for me to deal with these feelings growing up, and I'm constantly questioning myself... and then questioning why i'm questioning because i feel like this is right, its exciting and kinda scary lol

Anyway i've never had any serious long term relationships, I'm constantly embarrassed and uneasy with my body, that's not to say that I'm unattractive as a man i always have women and sometimes men flirting with me, but it just makes me feel almost uncomfortable and finally, probably most importantly i feel miserable with my life the way it is... and i've felt unhappy for so long, im just sick of it.

I was wondering if others had similar experiences before they began to transition? Also if anyone had advice for somelike me who comes from a pre-dominantly male family and doesnt have many female friends to confide in....

2. InactiveUser1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ur talking about changing ur gender ? i ask because u kinda confused me 0_0

i personaly come from dominantly female family and i have to say im missing the male gender in ma life soo much that im glad with whatever male i speak to and i find it HARD to talk to girl if u ask me but i found out that if u just kinda try to speak to them some might talk some might not i found out that also being prejudiced that girl doesnt like u that also gets emited outside of u and u kinda attract it automatically.
    1 solution i found is u have to fix whatever u can from ur body/mind to feel kinda more ready if u ask me ( example: im fat... i need to lose weight to feel more ok with myself::: i feel evil soo i must try to find what is wrong with me and try to change it for the better) etch.. i hope i wasn't confusing 0_0 this might help u cope with ur surroundings..

3. Dreamscape

yeah, i think i understand what you mean, the biggest problems for me transitioning into living as a woman will be getting rid of body hair, hiding my enormous elephant feet and of course vocalization

When it comes to my feeling uncomfortable though it's really more about me not being seen as a woman, which i suppose is in fact as much my own my fault as anyone else, ive always been very self-concious about feminine mannerisms that i have, my hips sway when i walk, crossing my legs when i sit down, being overly expressive and such with my hands, etc lol i remember once in high school my friends boyfriend told me i danced like a stripper... which was totally awesome and awkward at the same time.... those kind of things attract a lot of comments and insults from people and i guess i was embarrassed about it so id always try to "man-up" whatever i was doing so as not to attract attention...

4. InactiveUser1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    u seem a very funny and nice person to hang out with :slight_smile:
    why u wanna change phisicaly ?.
    i mean sometime in our life some people who CAN understand us WILL apear in one way or another. and i have to some womanish thingies and im clearly ok with the FEW im hanging with and about the hand expresion is OK not all man are like big machos with a hanging mile long Johnson between the legs iv seen people that other call them homos to have some very nice women in their feet's.
    mayby u need to think some things over ? ,
    i may be wrong, u dont clearly explain WHAT u wanna do but u only explain subparts of it, soo can you please elaborate some more ? 0_0

5. Dreamscape

I dont think either of us are communicating very well and its really frustrating.... Here's what my post is about in bullet points

* I want to begin my transition to living as a woman
    * i didn't have any feminine friends/role models growing up
    * i wanted to know if anyone else on this site went through anything similar and if they have tips or advice for someone in my situation.

That's it. pretty easy.

As for why i want to change, i mean, ive already said it, i'm miserable living as a man, what i see in the mirror, i look at myself and its almost like looking at someone else.

My whole life I've had to suppress myself and i don't want to anymore, i shouldn't have to my life is my own to live and i think i've reached the point where i don't have to justify this decision to anyone but myself.

6. Hey there, have you ever mentioned LGBT related subjects with either of your parents? That might give you a starting point, as to see how they feel about these issues. Then you'll know better as to where and how to approach them about what you're going through.. and I would say likewise with other family members that you're close to.

I haven't started transitioning yet but I know who and what I am, and I know it isn't what the mirror shows me. I have an appointment booked with a gender therapist in August, and I know he can recommend me to begin that process. Therapy will help you out a lot, to at least sort out the thoughts that might have been going through your head and to help you clarify what your goals are. I believe there is a site called Laura's Playground that has a list of gender therapists by state, so you might be able to find someone close to you if you haven't already?

You have to be who you are, and and you have to do whatever it is that will bring you happiness. Life is far too short to go around being miserable with ourselves all of the time, because that will reflect in our interactions with others. But yeah it is scary just thinking about transitioning and becoming the person we always knew we were inside. I know, I worry about "not passing" but I'll just have to see what happens and cross that bridge when I come to it I guess? I naturally have broad shoulders, and wear a 10.5 in shoe size but I also know there are women with broad shoulders, so who knows.

I sometimes worry about the company I work for too. I've heard of people being fired by their employer just because they were trans*. It's unfortunate that there aren't laws that are in place to protect many of us depending on where we live. Anyhow I try not to worry about it too much, and just have faith that I'll know the direction I need to go when the time comes. (*hug*)

7. earthlvr510

I can certainly relate to what your talking about, just from a FtM perspective. Im terrified of telling my family, but i know that telling them has to be my first step before transitioning, i owe them at least a heads up. As far as having people to talk to I would seriously consider finding a gender therapist, mine has been a huge help. Also, look for meetings or discussion groups in your area. Depending on where you live you can usually find a PFLAG group and possibly others. These are great because they provide a saf(er) space to talk about what your facing and to meet others with similar experiences. Im at about the same point you are, I want to start transitioning and am going through the scary (and exciting!!) process of coming out, requesting male pronouns, finding a doctor that is able to provide hormones, and all of that crazy stuff. Best of luck an if you ever need someone to talk to feel free to message me.:thumbsup: