1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top surgery for non-male identified people

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by songbird, Jul 28, 2013.

1. songbird

I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but it's been something I've been thinking about a lot.
    Top surgery for FAAB individuals that do not identify as male (non-binary people or cis females).

I've experimented with genderqueer, androgynous, agender, and other neutral labels for my gender in the past. However, I'm fine with female pronouns and would feel uncomfortable if I was fully male. While I feel stuck in between binary genders, I'm okay with being a sister, daughter, lady, and just female. I've grown up with these labels. I feel kind of detached from them, but they don't make me uncomfortable like male titles and pronouns do.

Anyway! I'm okay with being female, but I hate my chest. It makes me uncomfortable, self-conscious, and I think I look very awkward in clothes when I'm not binding (I don't have a real binder but have tried to bind safely with stuff like cloth and tight undershirts). I'm always thinking about it. Even before I knew anything about the trans community and different surgeries and binders that are available, I wanted to get a breast reduction that would leave very little breast tissue/fat. I don't think I want a totally male-looking chest, just a flat chest.

Today I found videos on YouTube of people that want the surgery but still ID as female, and a couple that seem more non-binary and have had the surgery. I really envy this one person and want to look the way they look (they started out IDing as female and had top surgery, then started thinking more about changing their body in other ways and changing pronouns to neutral).

So, I'm wondering. Are there any other female or non binary identifying individuals here that want their boobs gone? Has anybody thought about getting this surgery?

If you're comfortable with your chest or are MAAB, how do you feel about females getting top surgery? I'm very afraid of what my family will think and if they'll be not accepting because "girls have boobs, boys don't" and all that cramp. :b

2. earthlvr510

Just for starters what does FAAB and MAAB stand for? Im assuing female something something bodied and male something something bodied but ive seen it tossed around on here a few times and wasnt sure. Anyways I think you have every right to have top surgery. If you have breast dysphoria than you should have the option to have surgery and be more comfortable in your body. Even though I do identify as FtM and use male pronouns I dont identify with the binary, I dont buy it at all actually. There is at least one top surgery practitioner, Dr. Garramone, that specifically says on his site that he will preform the operation on non-male identified folks with breast dysphoria. Im sure there are more out there as well. If you think your family will be really put off by it and you dont want to tell them you can always say that they were really physically uncomfortable and causing problems. Though I dont really advocate lying about such things depending to your family it might be necessary. Best of luck, and remember, you dont need anyone's permission to be yourself! (*hug*)

3. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm FAAB, feel more male than female, and am not sure I'd be comfortable being totally male, and KNOW I'm not comfortable being addressed as female. I'd consider myself transmasculine, but not necessarily a transman. Depends on who I'm talking to and how much they'll understand what I'm saying.

That stated, I just want my chest GONE, asap, but only if my ass/thighs can go with it. I hate how wide my ass and hips and thighs are, and without my chest they'll look even wider and more girly. I just wish I had a more masculine shape, I'd be a lot less self-conscious then.

As for female identifying and genderqueer people having top surgeries, why not? Girls don't need to have boobs to be feminine, and if you're in between and don't like your chest, then it's your choice to change it, and I wouldn't judge. If anyone has anything bad to say, they can just piss off, in my opinion. Also, I know a ton of guys that like small/no boobs on girls, and don't consider them any less womanly.

And if worse comes to worse, you can pull the "it's preventative" card, since you'll be reducing your risk for breast cancer if you have them off too.

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Female identifying people have mastectomies for multiple reasons, with the majority for the treatment or prevention of breast cancer. Some for cosmetic reasons, such as breast reductions as well.

I identify more genderqueer than male and I'm still all for top surgery. My chest is alright, sometimes it gives me terrible dysphoria, other times, not as much. But I'm still going to have surgery at some point in my life. I don't want them.

There's nothing I see as particularly unusual or abnormal about non-male identifying people wanting top surgery. I've seen a lot of AFAB (nonbinary and genderqueer) folks who still candidate for it. Your body, your choice. :slight_smile:

5. Hexagon

Yeah, FAAB genderqueer people sometimes get top surgery. I think what is actually more difficult that the surgery itself is convincing psychologists and surgeons to sign off on it. Unfortunately, non-binary genders are not widely recognised, and often have no legal recognition.

I'm actually getting top surgery next week. If you'd like, I can give you some info about the procedure etc.

6. songbird

Good luck with your surgery, Hexagon! I really hope everything goes well for you.
    --

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm glad this is more accepted than I thought. I was a little nervous and unsure about what others would think.

Earthlvr510: FAAB stands for "female-assigned at birth", while MAAB stand for "male-assigned at birth". There's also DFAB and DMAB which means "designated female/male at birth". :slight_smile:

7. wanderinggirl

Plenty of feminine straight women get breast reductions, so it doesn't seem like it's that rare. I personally am considering it; I just think I'd look better with a smaller cup size. I'm a cis-female, feminine-of-center. I don't believe in plastic surgery for myself because I don't have strong body dysphoria, and my breasts don't give me back problems, so the resource-intensive, invasive and expensive nature of surgery makes it something that I feel should be reserved for someone else who really needs it. If you are dysphoric about your body and you feel that surgery would fix it, I say go for it!