1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drinking to deal with dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by earthlvr510, Jul 28, 2013.

1. earthlvr510

So i guess that im looking for ways other people out there deal with dysphoria. Mine has gotten worse and worse since it hit me like a ton of bricks recently that I wont be able to afford top surgery for YEARS. I try to work out to deal with it and use other less destructive options but the only thing that seems to work is drinking. Its not that i have a serious problem, just every couple days when its really bad ill have a few drinks, like 2-3. Somehow for me, being slightly buzzed makes my dysphoria almost completely disappear. For some reason I end up getting this huge self confidence booster that I am a man and its ok and i dont care what anyone thinks. I forget all of my low self esteem and destructive thoughts and can just comfortably and confidently be the man that i am. sometimes though I take it too far when that feeling doesnt come as easily as other time and i just get so depressed that i dont stop myself. As a major health nut I am well aware of the effect that drinking this much has on my health and i would really like to cut back but this is almost the only time that i actually feel comfertable in my own skin. Anyone out there have any suggestions on better ways to deal with this? Like i said i work out a lot so im trying that and its not working as well as i would like. Any ideas? :bang:

2. Wolf runner

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If this helps I hope...I'll regurgitate this question as something else...so if it's not what you want, it'll at least help.

I held on to something...to basically pull myself out of my depression. About feeling like a girl and being gay and hating myself for it. I took my mind elsewhere without alcohol and spent my time doing something else. I volunteered as a Counselor In Training at a YMCA camp...it took my mind off of what I was depressed about for a bit. I was mainly worried about what God would think about me when I died. Then I just found out that basically Christianity is about family. I met cool people that were themselves. I wish I could help more...but this probably isn't what you were looking for...

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As hypocritical as it is to say, find other ways to cope with your dysphoria. I considered turning to drinking and let the thought of drugs cross my mind before as a way to cope, remembering how I was the first time I explored pot. I have the resources, so nothing is stopping me from doing it besides my conscious. Before I was drinking in secret, I was self-harming and that was bound to get worse if I kept doing it.

The most I can say is try giving art a chance as a healthy and positive outlet. I try writing when I can and venting to like minded people who can relate to how I feel. It's not much, but it's healthier than bottling it up and hurting myself. (shrugs)

4. boysdontcry

Art is definitely a good outlet. It allows you to put all of your concentration on a healthy outlet, and often I can forget about it for an hour or two and by that time I feel a lot better. Painting and drawing are good, but I find things like sculpture and paper mache are even more effective, because its both physical and mental.

Other ways I use to cope, with varying success, are exercise, reading, blasting music, holding ice cubes in my palms, playing involved video games, and taking naps. Doing things that will take your mind off of your dysphoria and focus it somewhere productively, whether it be completing Halo missions or increasing your bench by ten pounds, help the best with dysphoria.

5. earthlvr510

thanks for the advice :slight_smile: I do try a lot of those things and they help but only to distract me. Im not sure why but having a few drinks doesnt distract me, it just makes the dysphoria almost completely disappear. I can think about it all i want but it just doesnt occur to me that my body is technically female, unless I force myself to see it of course. I just need to force myself to do other things to find that. Maybe having a good workout buddy to keep me focused will help. I've never heard of the ice cube thing, I might try that. Thanks again everyone.

6. Nick07

This one may sound silly, but...
    Try to visualize a safe place in your body. A little room perhaps where you can "go" and hide. No matter what your body looks like and how others see it, if you go there, you will be always the man you feel to be. Concentrate on that safety and let the feeling warm and light your body from inside. Closing your eyes may help or sitting in a dark room.

Whenever you feel doubts or stress, hide in your safe place and let the feeling calm you.