1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I been dysphoric all my life?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by rose94, Jul 30, 2013.

1. rose94

Okay, so recently I've been seriously questioning how I feel as a person. I don't feel like a girl.

All my life I have wanted to be 'one of the lads' but I thought that it was due to being a tomboy and that I would grow out of it. I have never ever liked wearing dresses because I feel uncomfortable. Shorts are cool, but skirts and dresses, make me feel...exposed and awkward.

I keep having 'girly' phases to mainly please my grandma who has been saying that I need to grow up and act like a young woman and not a 13 year old boy. It is very hurtful. I like wearing jeans and hoodies, especially the hoodies because I have large boobs. I've self-harmed in the past (and kind of recently) around my genitals but lately I've had an almost overwhelming desire to just cut my damn boobs off.

Is this dysphoria, or am I just mental? :help:

2. Nick07

no, you are not a mental, dear *hug*

Please, don't harm yourself, though. At least try to fight the urge.

3. rose94

Thanks Nick. I'm am trying to fight it, I'm trying to be pro-active instead of harming myself- going out running and doing exercise and trying to eat better. In a vain attempt to slim down all the 'lumpy bits'. It's so hard though.

I want to cry but I can't. I don't feel like I have anything to cry about really, I'm female, so I should just accept it and 'grow up' to be a woman? That is what my gran says but urgh, just...no. Not me.

It's so confusing.

4. jvn95

It is dysphoria, And you are not mental.

Don't hurt yourself please, I just want to let you know it isn't the answer.

5. Nick07

From what I have read so far, you are not a female :slight_smile:

You just need to figure out how much your body disturbs you. Maybe wearing only men's clothes would be satisfying enough. Maybe changing your name to something gender neutral would make you feel better. Maybe changing your nick to a male name?

Exploring your feelings may take years. Then you will know if transition makes you happy, or if you keep your current body

6. rose94

(*hug*) Oh man thank you! I guess already having mental health issues (PTSD) makes me paranoid that everything about me is just me being a messed-up weirdo loser.

Nick- thanks again, the relief of seeing your words is immeasurable. Looking back on my younger teen years, I can remember being in cadets and keeping up with all the boys, mucking in and handling the rifle like a pro...but then, puberty properly kicked in as well as the PTSD stuff and I can remember being on a camp once and crying myself to sleep because I suddenly couldn't keep up with the boys anymore. They'd all got so much stronger and it didn't matter how many push-ups I did. :tears:

I guess that was me hating being a girl back then.

As for changing my name, I've been thinking about that. 'Rose' is about as girly as it gets (thank you parents- not) so I don't know what to do about it. It's not going to be subtle so I guess it would mean coming out as trans*.

I've not come out to most friends and all family as liking girls sexually, never mind this. The reason I've not come out is fear, like I guess everyone here has experienced. But also because 'lesbian' doesn't fit. It doesn't feel right. I'm a 'straight guy' who happens to have ridiculously wide hips and boobs that get in the way of everything.

Does that make sense? It is sooooo confusing and frustrating. :icon_sad:

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

8. Nick07

Maybe you could start with introducing yourself to your new friends with a new name? And perhaps say that it is your middle name or a name you have been called unofficially for years (something like a nickname).
    Gender neutral names like Alex come to my mind.

I am not sure how difficult it is to change your name in your country.

9. rose94

In the UK it's pretty simple to change your name- you just apply for a 'Deed Poll' and it costs like £50 or something. I've thought about doing it previously, to change my surname as I really do not want to be associated with my family. In a way the surname becomes even more important if I live my life as a male because I don't want to pass on my family's name to anyone! Ha.

Nicknames that are gender-neutral is a great idea. I was thinking of being 'out' as interested in women when I go to uni in September, so I guess I may as well be 'out' from the start as masculine as much as I can be.

I'll check out that video in a minute- thank you.

10. Nick07

That is good. :slight_smile: I would perhaps avoid calling myself a lesbian. It will not be easy to explain your position to your friends, so let's not confuse them with lies. They will need to know that you are sincere and don't play tricks so that they would always support you.

11. rose94

Yes exactly, I don't want to 'come out' as a lesbian because I don't feel I am one. It's just that upon accepting that I like girls, it was the only description I could think of. I am female, I like females, therefore lesbian.

But that only explains the physical er, attributes of me. In my head, I am a guy who likes girls. So I guess the trans* thing incorporates my sexuality somewhat.

So, I guess I shall be out as wanting to be male at uni! God that is frightening, but exciting. My brain is running away with me; what do I say, what name do I use, how can I get rid of these 'things' on my chest etc etc.

12. Nick07

:slight_smile: take it slowly. Start with a name and clothing. You don't need to come out during the first year. See, how it will feel first :slight_smile:

13. rose94

Yes that sounds sensible, thank you.

Does anyone have any tips on looking more masculine? I'm working on overall fitness, but despite all the push-ups I still look scrawny. The strength is there, you just can't see it and it is so irritating.

On the whole I dress pretty androgynously, but I feel guilty that my gran has got me all these 'grown up girly' clothes and I just want to be sick at the sight of them. The only items I like are a couple of pairs of trousers that I picked out because they look, not formal, but they're not jeans (Nan- "I'm sick of seeing you in trousers, especially jeans") so I guess that is something. They are straight leg as well which is cool, I hated the skinny jeans fad thing.

I have a blazer that I like because it fits well and I like the shape the shoulders portray, but it's very definitely a woman's blazer as far as fitting around the chest and waist goes. I guess that's better than having clothes that simply don't fit though.

As for names- I'm totally stuck. What would pass as a 'middle' name that's fairly unisex? I've shortened my name to Rose because it's less...I don't know, feels less girly-girl than Rosie or Rosemary.

Charley is pretty unisex. I like Greg but...might get too many raised eyebrows.

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Hope this helps, mate. Scroll through the site- there's a workout guide for FtMs too. The FTM's Complete Illustrated Guide to Looking Like a (Hot) Dude

15. rose94

Thanks dude, you're a star!

16. Nick07

you can try men's shirts. Shortsleeves often have pockets, mayve that would make you feel more "covered"

I am not sure about names, but try google. There should be some lists of genderless names for.people who go through transition.

17. rose94

Pockets on shirts- that sounds cool. When I was in cadets, I got so used to wearing men's shirts (that was all they had) and I think I still have a couple lying around- they're navy blue which helps. I'll use them for sizing, hoping I haven't put on too much weight!

18. hiddenxrainbows

Guys' long sleeve button-up shirts work a ton on making girls look more masculine because they tend to hide breasts and hips a little better. I have big boobs too, but the plaid button-up shirt I have make my boobs less noticeable. Just make sure it's not too big or it'll just look silly.

19. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would like to add that I love that FTM guide that littlememphis posted. It's just one guy's sense of style, of course, but I like it quite a bit. It works for me. :slight_smile:

Other fashion-related things:

I feel like buzzing your hair pre-transition will emphasise feminine facial features. I know some guys don't care, and they're more comfortable with their hair like this, and some guys can miraculously pull it off pre-T, but it doesn't work on most people. A lot of guys get ma'amed more when their hair is cut that close.

When you bind under tshirts, you might need to layer up to hide it. Unless you don't care if people can tell you're wearing a binder. When you bind under button front shirts, you usually don't need to layer. Always follow the golden rules of binding!

You mentioned having a blazer. Do you like blazers? I found a very nice black velvet men's blazer in a department store, and I didn't need to tailor it to fit! And I am not a big guy by any means - 5'3", 125lbs. It is also most definitely a men's blazer, never gets mistaken for anything else, and has several inside pockets which is just fantastic. Sizing is weird, just try them on until you find a good fit and go from there.

Definitely keep exploring your identity! Feel it out, find out what's right for you. It sounds like you're well on your way to coming to terms with things, which is great! :grin:

Come out as straight? :wink: Sexuality can be confusing when you're trans, I'll give you that. I'm kind of concerned that my parents will think, when I come out, that there was some sort of closeted lesbian attribute to me that they weren't familiar with, and that's why I want to transition (my first boyfriend was a crossdresser, I'm sure that'll be evidence enough for them that I've always secretly been into girls). Problem is I like guys. So I guess I'll need to cross that bridge when I come to it...

As far as names go, good for you for knowing what you like! If you like Greg, go with it. But give it some time before you bring it up to make sure that it's what you really want, especially if you want to change it. I still don't have a clue what I want to go by, and I've known I'm not a girl for quite a few years now.

20. rose94

Clockworkfox, thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

My hair is shortish, but it's not super short because, as you say, that makes me look even more feminine. Also, it brings up school yard memories of being called 'Man-girl' as I used to have my hair that short, so not going there again just yet. It's dyed red too, which I guess is a bit girly but weirdly I can get away with it which is cool. I guess because it's a bit Beiber (is that even how you spell it?!) so I don't know. Loads of guys in my area with similar hair at the moment, as well as girls. Passing through androgyny for a while I think!

Hmm, yeah... I guess that does make me straight?! How novel lol.

As far as names go, I think that will stay private for a while. I need to get my head around it first before I go telling people "Hi, I'm Rose, but call me Greg" and get a 'wtf' reaction.