1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsure about sexuality...any advice how to proceed?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Natsumachi, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Natsumachi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone, so sorry for the long post. I feel like I have a lot of things I want to express and don't really have an outlet for it in my daily life. I talked to my mother about some things but her attitude is that I'm thinking too much and in too much of a hurry to figure things out (she acknowledges how I'm feeling but thinks I shouldn't rush to label myself), so it doesn't feel that useful talking to her about all the things I'm thinking about. I have the benefit though of being mostly surrounded by open-minded family members and people who I could talk to if I really needed to.

I guess this post is basically what I've observed about myself and my sexuality. Right now I'm heavily questioning and a little unsure. I know others can't tell me what my orientation is but I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about how to proceed from here. I'm considering meeting some people in the LGBT community in D.C. (I live within a couple hours from there) and testing out how I feel from there.

I'm 21 and in college - for a long time I never had too much interest in dating anyone - I am an only child and tend to relate better to people older than me and sometimes feel a little out-of-place with people in their teens or early 20s. That being said, I've met some people my age who I do enjoy hanging out with, but it seems to take some digging before I find people I can connect with much.

As a young teenager in middle school when my friends were interested in boys, I didn't really relate to that but pretended I liked some guys just as a bonding mechanism with friends. During this time I often had some girl I didn't know very well who I would notice all the time and think was really interesting or pretty. I always assumed I just thought they were really cool or that I wanted to be friends with them or be like them. I never got particularly close to any of them but I wonder if that was like having a "crush"?

In high school I had one guy who I liked in 9th grade. He was attractive and he expressed some interest in me occasionally (it never amounted to anything) and I was always interested in the idea of someone being into me. I think I was attracted to him but not really interested in him as a person. Often with men I feel excited if someone expressed interest in me but I never have a genuine interest in them. With women it can be more mutual for me I think.

The rest of high school I pretty much showed no interest in dating anybody. I think part of this is that I don't relate to teenagers very well. My friends during this time were almost 100% female. I was quite detached from others at this time. I did have one female "best" friend who I became jealous toward when she was hanging out with another girl I was acquaintances with.

Around Fall 2011 (2nd year college) I found myself questioning my sexuality a lot and was really unsure because I had never dated anybody. I know I am not asexual because I do have sexual desire and have been taking care of that on my own. I thought I might be gay and tried to interact some with the LGBT community groups at my university, but found a similar lack of ability to relate well with the people I met there that I feel toward many people at my school. I also felt a little like those people really were into the "gay culture" and it seemed that a huge part of their identities was being gay. Of course your sexual identity is part of your identity, but I don't feel that I will be much of a different person if I find I am not straight, I just might be a little happier and have a more fulfilling romantic life. I felt a little invalidated and felt like an outsider, so I stopped going to their meetings.

At that point, I assumed I just was having trouble with younger people and would have to meet friends/romantic partners later when I get older. I had one female friend who was 29 and was finishing up a degree in the same major as me. I felt like I had some romantic feelings toward her, but didn't explore it much because I knew she was straight and had some active relationships with men at the time. I tend to be quite reserved and not get emotionally involved with others.

Later I met one guy who was really interested in me and we started dating. At first I was really uncomfortable - I think I might have tighter boundaries than many people - and this guy was kind of overly affectionate and became attached really quickly. I was thinking "Do I even really know this person I'm supposedly dating?" So I told him I wasn't ready for a relationship, and he continued pressuring me a lot for awhile until I finally decided it was easier to just date him then have to deal with the awkwardness (we were in the same major and would have to interact a lot, so I decided to date him until he graduated). I also dated him because I hadn't had the experience before and wanted to see what it was like.

I enjoyed our relationship well enough...it was nice to have the attention and he was really supportive when I had some trouble with health issues at one point. I didn't really admire him as a person much, and the relationship was a little one-sided. I wasn't attracted to him emotionally or physically. We did have a sexual relationship - I did enjoy it at times but it was much less easy for me to enjoy it than if I were to go masturbate by myself. It was almost like having him there was a distraction which kept me from getting in the mood. I would always have to imagine something else if I was going to get any enjoyment out of it. I did enjoy the sensations the intimacy gave me but I didn't have much interest in his body or anything. I didn't often get genuinely turned on when we had sex. If I was going to have an orgasm I almost always had to do it myself and it was never as good as what I could have when alone with my brain free to fantasize about things.

Just about five weeks ago I ended the relationship with my boyfriend, which I mostly stayed in for the support factor, and suddenly after it was over, I started questioning my sexuality again. I noticed that the only people I give a second thought to in public are almost always women. I mentioned to my mother that I was questioning things again (I had told her the first time, too, and she is always supportive and it's not a big deal to her what my sexuality is), and she said she had wondered about it too - that the only people I ever comment on being attractive in TV shows and such are women.

I tend to think men all look the same and rarely feel attracted to or interested in them, whereas I have a lot of preferences about women's looks and I notice them more often. I also have a variety of women I am attracted to in my daily life, including a couple classmates, a secretary in our department office who I work with occasionally, and one therapist I was seeing.

With sexual fantasies and things like that, I have been aroused by both man/woman and woman/woman materials, but have no interest in man/man stuff. I am always focused on the woman, though and the man is just there basically as a vehicle for pleasing the woman. I don't pay any attention to him. If I imagine something, I often do not imagine myself, but usually two other people, either a man/woman or woman/woman pair. Again with the man/woman it is much more important for me to imagine what the woman looks like and all the focus is on her.

I also noticed that when I started thinking about what if I am a lesbian, I suddenly become more excited about the idea of dating. When I assumed I was heterosexual I would always think, "meh, someone will come along..." A therapist once asked me what I would look for in a husband and I drew a blank, like I never really thought of it, nor was I very interested when I tried to think about it.

As I've been questioning more and more I allow myself to look at women more as possible romantic partners - I think when you assume you're heterosexual you just don't notice that much. As a result, I've found myself more attracted to women in real life and indulging a bit more in watching women I find attractive on TV. If I imagine having sex with a woman it sounds good to me. I really like women's bodies and would be more excited to explore a woman's body than a man's. I never particularly enjoyed reciprocating anything on my one boyfriend (though I pretended to) but I think I would be able to enjoy it with a woman.

Though I rationally understand that there is no need to label myself and that my sexuality is likely pretty fluid and I shouldn't rule out one gender or the other, I seem to have a strong desire to identify as lesbian and have a fear that I'm not being truthful with myself and maybe I'm just straight after all. I feel that I'd rather be interested in women than men. I find the idea of dating women more appealing. I don't want to be straight. I don't know if I just want to feel special or something or if it's really true.

I feel like I'm not trusting myself and still have some residual fear from when I met those LGBT people at my school - I'm afraid that I'm not a "real lesbian" despite the fact that I rationally know that fitting into whatever stereotype or culture these people I met seem to have is not what determines your orientation. I just want to be myself and to like girls.

There were a couple guys I "liked" in college my freshman year but I barely knew them and I think perhaps I was lonely and wanted some attention. I guess I felt attracted to them but I don't think I was sexually attracted to them. I'm unsure about this and these couple guys make me confused because right now I don't find men very appealing.

Thanks I'm sorry if that's rambling - I just was wondering if anyone could relate, or if anyone has any advice about how I might proceed. I guess meeting some women and seeing how I feel is what I'll go with for now, but I guess I'm getting impatient.

2. CuriousBunny

First of all, welcome to empty closets! I know it's not your first post, but you're relatively new anyways.

Secondly, after reading your story, I'd recommend trying to be in a relationship with a woman to see if you enjoy it more than you did with the man. Also, do you/have you ever had a strong emotional/physical attraction to women?

3. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

Yeah, I think you need to find a woman to date, or just have sex with, and see how your feelings change. Clearly dating men isn't working for you, and clearly you have some kind of attraction towards women you need to explore.

4. Natsumachi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the welcome you guys, and yeah, I thought probably what I need to do is explore my feelings about women. I do feel like I'm physically and emotionally attracted to women but it's hard to tell since I haven't had any kind of romantic relationship with one.

I suppose I didn't have much of a question here but it was helpful for me to write this up and think a little bit about how I feel.

5. Lovetoski

Lovetoski Guest

Ok, let me begin by saying I am WAY older than you so I apologize for the generational disconnect. However, you might as well be me. I was always the funny girl into sports- friend of all. I liked men and got along well with them bc I had a big family and lots of brothers. I liked women bc they were funny and smart and independent. I wouldn't say I fantasizes about women exclusively, bc I, like you, had heterosexual fantasies that always focused on the girl. I even remember an incident with my best friend where we masturbated together to "see how it was done" but we never touched one another. I also remember looking at women who were half clothed and dreaming about kissing woman scared at the thought that ' I may be gay'. Then I met my husband and we got along and had good sex although admittedly I fantasized about others almost all of the time. Until about a year ago when I met her. She was brilliant funny and soon very sexually attractive to me. We had similar stories, but her path led her to gay self discovery and mine led me to a version is Betty Crocker with a career. After admitting to myself finally that- huh, I think I am gay.. I may have been gay all along, I find myself lost. I am the mother of 2 great kids and my husband is a good man- albeit one who seems at times unable to function alone. I make more money. I am more centrally involved in the day to day dealings with my kids-- essentially I feel trapped. I will never regret my marriage as it brought me some of the greatest joys of my life. I, too, find it hard to stop abruptly and change gears. I was never going to march in a parade or be the person who blazes a path on any issue. I just happen to love a woman. Otherwise I'm me. This is difficult bc I find my husband crying saying our life was a lie while my lesbian friends accuse me of 'not being gay'. Ugh! My advice is be really sure no matter where your sexuality lies. I think you are right-- you are more than who you are attracted to. It is part--a big part-- but not defining in itself. Good luck.

6. vamonos

Have sex and see.

I'm a man and I know I'm gay, but I enjoy close relationships with women. I've been married twice to women. I have sex with women.

I partied Friday night and got a little drunk. Like maybe 4 beers? I had sex with a man. It felt wonderful. Later, I had a beer with a woman and had sex with her. I felt awful.

On my way home I ran into a female friend. She was wearing shorts, a T-shirt and running shoes. She looked good and we had sex. I had a screaming orgasm. I feel like shit, though.

It is what it is. You can have sex with anybody, but it depends on how you feel - what works for you.

Since I have sex with men and women, on papers at work I will mark bisexual. However, I consider myself gay and that I will sometimes have sex with women that I regret.