1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LEG7930, Aug 5, 2013.

1. LEG7930

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So, just to start off I was born female, and currently identify as female. As far as sexual orientation I consider myself "lesbian" for the most part. I hate the word lesbian though, it just doesn't feel right for me...

Since I was little I always wanted to be one of the boys, and now, 21 years old, feel like I should be a guy. I came out to my parents as bisexual a little over a year ago, and that went over terribly, so I can't even imagine coming out as trans* or transitioning or anything. I dress in male clothes for the most part with a few exceptions for work, and I just don't feel like I belong in my body somewhat. When I cut my hair really short last year my parents almost had a nervous breakdown, so now I have long hair again which I don't want. But ugh. I have a good number of trans* friends and I just admire their courage, but don't think I could ever go through with it unless I moved across the country or something and just did it, then told my parents, I don't even know. I am rambling now...

I guess I am posting here more as a rant, but if you have any advice or words of wisdom, I won't turn them down :slight_smile:

2. Mhin

Going to any other country that you think will accept you for what you want to be is not a good option, that's my view. Take everything one step at a time, since you already came out to your parents a year ago, I'm sure they will understand what you really want in life and what will make you happy.

3. Sarcastic Luck

Unfortunately, that's not always the case. My mother essentially said, without saying it, that if I transitioned, I'd be disowned. Then of course, the words "mutilating your body" were thrown around.

Op already stated that coming out as bi to their parents didn't go over well. I doubt that coming out as trans would be any better.

4. LEG7930

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wouldn't be going to another country, just across the country, so a different state. But that would be a last resort. And since coming out about a year ago nothing has really happened. I think they are a little more accepting, but the topic is just avoided really. I fear that if I mentioned ANYTHING about gender that I would be disowned, or maybe not disowned, but DEFINITELY not accepted. I am 99.9% sure it would be a VERY negative reaction.

I guess at this point I am just trying to figure things out internally, and if I absolutely feel like I need to transition or something, I would have to really consider the feelings of not only myself, but also my relationship with my family.

5. CuriousBunny

Do you live with your parents? If so, you should definitely wait until you move to transition or ponder the topic further.

6. LEG7930

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Unfortunately I was forced to move back home due to finances. So NO way I would do it while living with them, I agree with you on that.