1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Jojo1189, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Jojo1189

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I have been thinking a lot in the calmest way possible, and I think I am transsexual. But one thing I've noticed from researching into transsexual people and what it is, is that transsexuals experience dysphoria. But I don't think I do. I don't particularly like my breasts, but I'm not all like "Ew boobs ew". I can put up with them pretty easily. I think the closest I get to dysphoria is my hips. I hate that as a woman, I have hips wider than my torso, and a larger butt than a guy. It's really the biggest thing stopping me from passing as a guy. So my questions are is the aforementioned discomfort with my hips dysphoria, and and can someone be transsexual without being dysphoric?

2. Nick07

Well, I think that many people are trans* without feeling dysphoric. It's the only way to stay sane and happy if the transition is not possible or if your feelings are "somewhere in the middle"

On the other hand I don't think that hating your hips alone can mean that you are transgender. In your age, your body is starting to change and that can bring a lot of feelings, some of them not very pleasant.

Please know that I am not saying you are not transgendered. I don't know you, ok? :slight_smile:

3. Jojo1189

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Yeah, I understand. I didn't mention the other stuff that leads to me thinking I'm trans. This is just me wondering about dysphoria.

4. Dapper

Let me start by saying that there are no "qualifications" to be trans*, lol. That being said, you don't need to experience dysphoria to be trans*. For example, I identify as transmasculine and have very little dysphoria. While I'm not particularly happy about my chest, for example, I don't absolutely hate them; they're just something I have to deal with. Dysphoria, when strong, is often an indicator for some trans* folk, but you don't HAVE to experience it to be trans*. Good luck on your gender journey, my friend :slight_smile: try not to overthink anything too much.

5. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I only have dysphoria sometimes and I'm a total woman. There are no qualifications for being trans* a lot of people don't get that, but you learn it later on. By the way I'm really jealous, I'd love to have hips... T.T

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

If you're transgender, I find dysphoria is experienced in different ways, if at all. So a lack of dysphoria doesn't delegitimize your identity, nothing to worry about. As for myself, I go from either feeling 'meh' and dettached about my body or being hyper aware of everything (especially my chest and the sarlacc pit...) 'wrong' with it and being depressed/anxious because it's not a male body. But it varies from person to person. Some simply would rather have the opposite gender body, others have panic attacks.

7. Hexagon

You don't have to have dysphoria to be transgender, although unfortunately it seems to be the opinion of the gatekeepers that you do. If you feel male, then you are. Even if you don't hate your body. I mean, not hating your body can hardly be considered a bad thing.