1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binding help...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by drwinchester, Aug 7, 2013.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So I'm hoping to get a real binder in my possession fairly soon. Dysphoria's flaring up and I'm hoping in the near future to begin presenting male/masculine out in public, so the sooner the better.

I'm in the closet, as most of you know, so whatever I get's got to look discreet enough that it won't be too obvious what it is. There were a few models on Lesbian Love Boat that were appealing and might spring for, though they're a little pricey.

College is coming up and I'm a bit short on disposable income. Anything under forty dollars would work well for me. I'm a C cup, so for now sports bras have done the job, though it's still obvious I'm endowed... Mom's also a bit of a snoop. I've been using "I'm working out" as an excuse for buying guy t-shirts and sports bras, so I'm looking into binders that could easily be mistaken for tanks or bras.

I've been looking into Underworks binders but I've heard through the grape vine that a lot of guys have had problems with these- that true? Anyone find success with them? Reviews on Amazon seem positive.

Advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. suninthesky

Sho Les Lesbian Tomboy White Black Grey Strapless Chest Binder Tops s XXL J0020 | eBay

Sho New Les Lesbian GL Undershirt Tomboy Chest Binder Flat Slim Vest s XXL J0025 | eBay

Sho Handsome Les GL Lesbian Chest Breast Binder Flat Long Vest Tops M XXL J0027 | eBay

Sho Les Lesbian Tomboy Chest Binder Undershirt Slim Fit Vest Tops XS XXL J0028 | eBay

Sorry for the word wall of links. These are all from the same company, and even though it's overseas, the shipping isn't bad. I haven't tried any of these, but I think I will once I get settled into school again and have a stationary address again. They all seem inexpensive, but I haven't no idea about the quality or sizing or anything on those. I think I'll get one and then get more if I like them.

I have an underworks binder. I can't remember the model #, but it just has chest compression. I like that part, but to save money I didn't go for the one that was 4 inches longer. I regret that. It rides up all the time and is a pain in the ass. But if I wear boxers I can tuck it into them and it's not a problem. But if I wear boxers my jeans fit tighter and my hips look wider. Le sigh. The underworks binder definitely work, but I recommend not drying it in the dryer. I had to because it was so humid where I was that nothing would dry.. and my back has hurt ever since.

My recommendation is to get the least compressive binder you can emotionally deal with. And make sure to work out your back muscles a lot and wear the binder as little as possible. I thought when I started wearing a binder that all the people complaining of their back were just wearing theirs too tight, but it's a real concern. The tighter it is, the better we pass and the happier we are, but the more our backs get screwed up.

I'm hoping that one in the links I listed above is a bit less compressive than the Underworks (that had gone through the dryer).

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Thanks, Sun, mate. Definitely looking into those. Look like they'll work well enough, especially the last one (on account of how tank like it looks...)

I've never bound before so a lot to consider at this point... The model I was looking into from Underworks was this, if this helps: Underworks Mens Microfiber Compression Tank:Amazon:Clothing

I'm hoping by the time I'm able to obtain the binder, I'll be able to have more clothes/resources for passing in general. I imagine my hips, wide as they are, are going to be problematic without some layering. I've heard a full torso binder helps with the hips but haven't heard about anyone who's had success with that.

Thanks. Will see how it goes, I suppose, once I get my mits on one...

4. suninthesky

That looks like a good model. How do black binders work? I haven't had any problems on show through with my white one but I've never had a black one.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I figure since I tend to gravitate towards dark clothing anyway, a black binder wouldn't be too out of place. Black looks enough like the kind of tanks I keep around that it wouldn't look out of place. And as they say, black is slimming. Still haven't ordered it but should be within my hands within the next couple weeks. :grin:

6. Bryar Thorne

Thank you for posting this. :slight_smile: This was actually going to be the next topic I was going to post myself but seeing that someone else is asking the same question, it really helped. :slight_smile: Best of luck to you and thank you both for helping me without knowing it. :slight_smile:

7. boysdontcry

If you're looking for a first time binder, underworks 997 seems to be the go to for guys. I haven't tried it, but word on the street says it does the trick. In general, when picking out binders, here are some things to keep in mind:

body type: just because one binder works for somebody doesn't mean it will work for you. try to find reviews and pics of people with a similar size and weight.

frequency: if you wear you binder often enough, its going to get worn out. pick something durable, or get two.

use: if you work out or do physical activity often in your job, getting a binder with a mesh lining is a good idea. its the binder equivalent of gym shorts. if you wear more professional clothes a lot, a full length binder with a nylon outer layer is good so your shirt wont catch on the material, and it will look more like a tank top.

size: measure as accurately as possible I can't stress this enough. Buying a size down will not make you flatter, it will just make you uncomfortable. Especially since a lot of these places sell to smaller framed people, depending on the binder you buy, you may not be able to wear it at all. yet again, velcro binders are great for size adjustment so you can get a feel for what works for you.

for your first binder, I recommend getting a tri-top (rib length) binder with velcro or a zipper. tri-top binders are easier to adjust, and velcro/zipper allows for easy removal in case you need a break while getting used to wearing it.

I have owned these three binders

SALE & Top Picks 2nd Gen. Jersey Mesh Short Binder

3rd Gen. Velcro Short Binder

Zipper Binders V-Neck Zipper Short Binder

and definitely recommend them. the second link was my first binder, and worked fantastically (I'm a C ) but was totally comfortable.

remember: T-shirts are a transman's worst enemy, and fitting tank tops under your clothes will work wonders.

hope I helped, and good luck

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Definitely helped. I'll keep that all in mind.

One question- I measured and found I was a medium. However, I'm worried that because I'm overweight, will have issues with a larger frame. Should I consider going up a size, when it comes to gut/hips?

9. boysdontcry

If you're on the higher end of medium (near the line by an inch or so), it might not be a bad idea. Otherwise, I don't think it should be too much of a problem. The site I linked to, LesLoveBoat, does have a specific section for binders for overweight people if you're interested. The easiest route might just be to get a medium velcro that cuts off at the ribs above the stomach, so you won't have to worry about that, and you can adjust it to fit you as needed. I wear a medium as well, and my short velcro binder has an adjustment strip about 4 inches wide.

TLDR, if you get a short adjustable binder, your gut/hips won't even factor in to sizing.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Admittedly, I was close to a small, chestwise. But regardless, will keep that in mind. At the moment, the only place I can order from will be Amazon and I can't seem to find anything beyond a pull-over or anything from Underworks but keeping my eye out.

11. boysdontcry

Amazon.com: NEW SOHOEVA Velcro Elastic Chest Breast Binder Transgender Lesbian Cosplay Tomboy (M, BLACK): Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: Breathable Buckle Short Chest Breast Binder Transgender Lesbian Tomboy Tank Top (Asia M = US4-US6 size, Black): Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: SOHOEVA Among Zipper Chest/breast Binder Trans Lesbian (M, BLACK): Health & Personal Care

just in case. good luck on getting your binder man, and post an update once it shows up :thumbsup:

12. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yoooooo! I just ordered this one a few days ago, and I've heard a lot of good things from guys that are D-cups even!

look at this thing!

Dunno how well it works, but like I said, I've heard good things so far. Plus, it's only ten bucks, and it looks like a tank top. You could very well wear just this thing, and with the price you could invest in a few of them if it works for you. Don't know if anyone linked to this one yet, but I wanted to share anyway. Good luck with your binding man! :slight_smile:

**edit**

Just clicked back through the links and saw that it was linked to already. :rolle: But I'll let you know how it works out for me when it gets here, if you're interested.

Anyway...

I have two chest binders, both from love boat. One is their strapless velcro model, the other is their short sport pullover. The sport pullover is the comfiest thing once you get it on, I forget I'm wearing it and then goodbye chest dysphoria. Very nice. I can't say how well it works for larger chests though, I'm a B myself, and it gets me convincingly flat. The strapless actually has a surprising amount of staying power, it doesn't slide around and it's easier to get on and off, but it does lack comfort compared to the pullover, in my opinion. I can generally only wear it for half the time. But I have a passion for v-necks, so I haven't passed it along to another guy yet. I've also noted it makes a funny noise when it rubs on other fabrics, so it's best not to wear it with looser shirts unless you layer.

#12 clockworkfox, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  13. RoguesWolfe

Well answered my questions without having to ask em.

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I take it Lesbian Loveboat should be a company I look into in the future? Thanks. I actually found the same model, Clockwork, from the Chinese company, on Amazon. A bit more pricey but shipping's free and I can access it.

Yeah, will look into a pull-over. Anything that I can forget feels like a boa constrictor around my chest would be great. :grin:

15. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's fantastic really, that particular pullover. I won't lie and say it's not challenging at all to get into, because it is. But I really do forget I'm wearing it a lot. I think after the first few times binding with it, it gets more comfortable too. The only downside, for me, is the neckline, because I like v-necks and the neckline on the binder comes up a little too high for a lot of v-necks. But it's a great binder overall, in my opinion. It doesn't make any noise against other fabrics either the way the strapless does, so it's more discreet when you wear looser shirts. It's thin, too, so I don't need to layer to hide it. :eusa_danc

16. flatlander48

17. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So just wanted to say thanks y'all for your help thus far- I'll be keeping everyone's suggestions in mind since I and I'm sure a number of you shall be in the binder business for some time.

My first binder ended up being a tri-top from Underworks and I'll have it in my hands soon. I've heard good things about it from other guys and seems to be a popular binding choice. But have yet to experience it personally, so see how it goes.

And Flatlander, if you insist. :wink: