1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transexual feeling comfortable with his/her body

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by dudette, Aug 8, 2013.

1. dudette

Can transexual feel comfortable with his/her body?
    What I mean is that can a girl with a man's body feel comfortable about it?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

In short, yes. Not every transperson is uncomfortable with their body or experiences dysphoria. Being trans* is more about how you personally identify than how you look/express. I'd think if you're okay with your body and experience little to no dysphoria you can consider yourself lucky- I wouldn't wish dysphoria on anyone. It's a soul crushing experience at best.

3. June Cleaver

For me NO! I hate it and at 41 I still feel the same since my mom told me I was a boy and not a girl like her. It really sucks not to look the sex you are and it is a bitch to get a man who wants more than sex. June

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think discomfort comes natural to transsexuals. But with the expanded trans* umbrella, some people might very well be fine with their bodies as they are.

5. dudette

This might sound stupid, what I am going to write, but since I came out of the closet
    I started questioning everything even my gender. And it was not because I felt uncomfortable with my body, but I have this feeling that I don't behave as a "true" man.
    I mean sometimes when I am thinking about something, I have this feeling that I am a girl. And there are other things like, I want to hang out with girls and sometime when I am hanging out with them, I want them to acknowledge me as one of them (I don't tell them that, but I have this feeling).

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2013 at 09:23 PM ----------

but then maybe everyone has this

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. What he said. I find, more often than not, that most transsexuals will experience discomfort or dysphoria. I myself do, though didn't necessarily feel it to the same degree before I began questioning and later identifying as male. It manifested as more of a general disconnect with my body- didn't feel like it should've been mine but I had no other choice but to accept it as is. Once I realized I did have a choice, the idea of having a male body appealed to me.

-

So to answer your other question- it depends. Were you to have a choice, would you choose to transition to female? How do you see yourself growing up? As a man? As a woman? Take your time. No need to force a label or identity just yet. See what comes naturally.

7. dudette

When I think about it.
    Neutral gender with the body which was giving me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    But I think no one would understand it outside the EC community :frowning2:

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2013 at 09:58 PM ----------

wow, I've been reading this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer
    and I think that each person does not feel completely as their body
    am I correct?

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2013 at 10:02 PM ----------

I mean that people don't feel fully one gender

#7 dudette, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It doesn't sound stupid to me.

I think that to some degree, it's normal to question your gender a bit when you're coming out. We live in a very heteronormative society, and I think that guys that like to bottom have a particularly hard time because it's not seen as something a "real man" would do. Not that guys that like to top don't have a difficult time.

It's perfectly fine to hang out with girls regardless of your gender. You can even prefer their company, whether you're a man, a woman, agender, purple, whatever. :slight_smile:

Also, it is possible to be gender non-conforming without being transsexual. And it's possible to be gender variant without feeling transgender. I know a lot of women who are in no way traditionally feminine, and a few guys that aren't traditionally masculine, and they still identify as female and male, respectively. It's all very personal.

9. dudette

I have to apologize for two things

the first thing is that that I started two topics on this post, and it became just a mess.
    the first part was about the body because I was arguing with this teacher that he can't acknowledge someones gender by his/her body.
    and the second part, I started talking about my gender identity

and the second thing is that I might have misunderstood transexual at the first place
    is transexual a person who has already when through the surgery or is planning to do so
    or does it mean just a person with different gender identity?

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2013 at 10:22 PM ----------

I mean does transexual=genderqueer?

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2013 at 10:29 PM ----------

I agree with you. maybe I am hanging out too much with girls; therefore, I am developing female characteristic.

this is you after reading this --> :roflmao:

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Transsexual- tends to mean someone whose gender identity chaffes against assigned birth sex and who's planning on, or who already has, physically/medically transitioning to obtain a body closer to their identified gender.

I'm transsexual myself- identify as male, assigned female at birth. Haven't transitioned yet but plan to in near future.

Transsexual does not mean just genderqueer- genderqueer is a term for someone who's gender identity falls outside the gender binary of male and female and emcompasses a variety of different identities or even a lack of gender. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. Some people who are genderqueer might physically transition in order to obtain a body they're more comfortable with.

And mate, most of my friends were female. Did nothing for my gender identity. Didn't make me more female. :wink:

11. dudette

so lets conclude this whole post and correct me if I am wrong.
    1. some transexuals feel comfortable with their body.
    2. Transexual- tends to mean someone whose gender identity chaffes against assigned birth sex and who's planning on, or who already has, physically/medically transitioning to obtain a body closer to their identified gender.
    3. genderqueer is a term for someone who's gender identity falls outside the gender binary of male and female and emcompasses a variety of different identities or even a lack of gender.
    4. it has nothing really to do with a gender identity when a guy has a desire to hangout with girls OR a girl has a desire to hangout with guys
    5. You can't develop female or male characteristics, you are born with them
    6. A lot of the guys are not fully masculine and a lot of the women are not fully feminine
    7. it is ok to question you gender
    8. It means that I am a male with a male body who was questioning his gender because of the very heteronormative society, and I am a person who likes to hangout with girls and who is not fully masculine which was not develop, but most likely I was born with it
    hmmm pretty much shut down case for me.

#11 dudette, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  12. Just Jess

Just a personal preference, but I prefer the term "transitioner" to "transsexual". Makes it crystal clear who I am, and gives everyone else room to be themselves. My brain works better on estrogen. My body seems like it has had masculinity imposed on it. It's taking to femininity well, and it's so nice not fighting myself all the time like I used to, but there are always going to be scars from going through male puberty.

I'm saying that because I think it will help you understand what some of us mean when we say we're uncomfortable with our bodies. It's not just that we aren't "true" men or women, or that we feel like we aren't doing what's expected of us. It's a very natural and real part of us that wants us to change. It's a little like being a caterpillar. You don't really understand why you feel this need to spin a cocoon and stew in your own juices until your old body is destroyed and your new one emerges. It's just there, and you can either fight it or accept it.

So what I'm saying is, you don't have to be a transitioner just to step outside of the gender roles that are out there.

I think a lot of the time, if you're attracted to your birth sex, of course you're going to have some mixed gender feelings. Because being straight is "default". All the love songs on the radio are about straight couples. People don't bother saying "what do people who like women find attractive", they skip straight to saying "what do guys find attractive". Which means if you like girls, there's that unspoken assumption that there's some "maleness" to you.

But you don't need to change your physical sex, or live as a woman full time, just to step outside of that. If you like girls, that doesn't make you a boy. Or if you like boys, that doesn't make you a girl. It might give you more common ground and shared experiences with people you wouldn't otherwise have, and that is awesome. It might mean that you can form closer friendships with people of the other sex, because there's no sexual tension. Also awesome.

So what I'm saying, is if you want to do something that's not expected of your physical sex, it doesn't mean anything as far as your identity.

To me being queer is about just not lying any more. I know that's hard to do when you're not sure what the truth is. But I think if you just focus on wearing your heart on your sleeve and being you, then you'll find the right labels later.

I mean depending on the situation, I can be "a female identified assigned male at birth gynophillic person undergoing transition" or just "a gay woman". I think the label that fits me best is "engineer" personally. Labels are there to help you explain a lot about yourself in a short amount of time, and if they aren't doing the job, then don't use 'em. Sometimes I think they are important. I mean the wrong label - I can't tell you how much I hate the word "sir" - can just ruin my whole day. But they are just words.

13. sguyc

Yes, I am sure it happens. There is a thing called euphoria, ie the opposite of dysphoria.

14. Gender is an interesting thing to study and learn about isn't it:icon_wink? I have always been fascinated by psychology. In short, for those who choose to transition -- it isn't about being girly, or being manly. There are multiple ways to express yourself, but what it's about is being female or being male (respectively).

I don't always feel extraordinarily depressed about being biologically male. Sometimes it bothers me more than others, and like Cassie above I always detested the word "sir" and have asked my own Dad to stop using it when answering the phone and it's me. They are just words however, and I realize I'm not passable yet and when I start to transition there will be an androgynous phase for awhile. I get that.

As far as being a "true man", goes -- I don't really think there is such a thing as a true man, or a true woman. We all have these stereotypical ideas in our head that real men don't cry, that they all love sports, and go out to the bar for a beer. That women are supposed to love shopping, putting on make up, and enjoy taking care of the kids. It's a lot more complicated than those old outdated ideas we've had for so long.

Keep in mind that no one can tell you if you're trans* or not, except for yourself. There are gay men who identify as male and can still come across as very feminine. Just as there are lesbian women who express a very masculine persona and still identify as female. It's a very individual thing, and only you can decide who you are and who you aren't.(*hug*)

15. dudette

Gender identity and sexual orientation are very interesting topics in my opinion.
    But you see there is this moment in every person's life when its time to ask questions such as: who am I? why I have these feelings towards men/women?
    (of course most of the people don't do this, but in EC everyone has done it).
    I've learned through my mistakes that it is a lot better to share these questions with people who have already asked this questions because they will show you the right approach to these questions (by sharing their thoughts and experiences) and then it helps to answer these questions and to understand yourself.