1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this transgender or something else?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by dr3sd3n, Aug 18, 2013.

1. dr3sd3n

Well, i'm in highschool, so i'm still pretty young to be figuring this out i guess... but it's been making me deeply uncomfortable for a while. Sorry this is long.

Since i was little, i was always a tomboy. My only friends were boys. I was bullied in elementary school for having a boyish name and acting/looking like a boy though, so i tended to wear dresses and skirts to school. I wore makeup in middle school, because they also said i was ugly.

At around 12, I started to think about my body, and i was jealous of boys in a weird way. Like, i would look in the mirror and cry because i'd wish i didn't have the genitalia i was born with (i still do this). I would practice walking and talking like a boy, and i cut my hair really short again because it was socially acceptable for girls to have short hair at that age. I would dress as a boy some days, and pass as one, and that always made me feel better about myself. I plan on legally changing my gender, and going to college as a boy.

Keep in mind that i still wear makeup and dresses and skirts, and i'm fine with it. I just hate having female genitalia, and would prefer people use he/him/his (i don't tell anyone of course). I want to be male, but i'm worried that i couldn't pull it off because i still like some things about being female.

I just recently told someone, a close friend, about my gender issues. He said i would be a rather feminine boy, which i'm fine with. I'd much, much rather be a feminine male than a masculine female, if that makes sense.
    I'm not sure what any of that makes me, though... :icon_sad:

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Dude, I think it's safe to say, if you identify as male and plan on transitioning, you are transgender.

Being feminine, masculine- that's a matter of expression. You can totally be a feminine guy and still comfortably identify as male. Need not big game hunt, swill Lagers, and wear flannel in order to be considered a true man. If a cisman can wear a dress and still comfortably identify as male, why can't you?

3. dr3sd3n

Thank you for helping me, it's reassuring to know that what i'm doing is okay ^ ^'

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

No problem. It's totally okay. I'm a somewhat feminine guy myself, plenty of us out there.

5. hiddenxrainbows

I know how you feel! And I think that if you're comfortable with identifying as male and you think about transitioning later, then you probably are transgender, if you're comfortable using that word. I'm in the same boat though. I want to be a guy soo bad, though I hate what I like to call the chest monsters more than my genitalia. But that's just my personal experience. I still don't like the bottom, but my top gives me more dysphoria for some reason. And I don't think I'm extremely manly either. I'd probably be more of a feminine guy, if I transitioned. There's nothing wrong with that though.

6. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like it, Because if you don't like what you have between your legs then you are most likely transgenders

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Yo. There's the thing. You don't have to be some masculine manly man or misogynistic douchebag in order to identify as a transman. I mean, yeah you can lean masculine and plenty of transguys do, but there's a lot of us feminine guys out there also!

Gender roles and whatnot are just stereotypes. You can still very much enjoy wearing makeup or feminine clothing while identifying as a boy. Hell, there's plenty of us. I'm quite feminine, I like female fashion, and I'm not very masculine in terms of my actions/language. I probably come across as a bit 'twinkish' even though I'm not gay, and that's fine with me.

If you're discontent with your body, or if you ID as male/experience dysphoria, you're male. The clothes you wear or how you represent yourself don't discard you being trans. Gender expression is one thing, while gender identity is another.

8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Expression and identity are two different things. I still like dresses, though I don't wear them as much anymore. I detest beer. I couldn't tell you a thing about football, but I could teach you to crochet. I think a lot that because of all this, and because I like guys, it would be easier to "stay" a girl. But I don't identify that way, and I wish I had a chance to have the body I want to have.

I don't think it's wrong to hold on to some of your more "feminine" traits as a transitional male. That whole machismo attitude so doesn't do it for me anyway - it's too hard to keep up, and it's uncomfortable to deal with.

9. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like it, Because if you don't like what you have between your legs then you are most likely transgender, Are you uncomfortable by what you have by any chance because thst could be a clear factor.