1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What If?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by An Gentleman, Aug 26, 2013.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pretty sure that being a cis female would kill me. As far as I'm concerned, I'm male.
    But... what if my brain really does have a female structure? What if my parental units are right, and "it's not natural" and "you'll always be a woman" and "transgender is a choice" isn't BS?
    :eusa_liar Then what?
    I didn't realize exactly who I was until I was 13. I mean, I never liked any stereotypical "girl" things, either. Whenever I (accidentally) refer to myself as female, I curse at myself.

Tl;Dr, I've almost decided on my gender identity but I still hesitate. :bang: What do?

2. Niko

Well if it was all a choice, then you being a woman wouldn't hurt as much as it does. It is natural to be transgender, don't let them tell you it's not. Everyone was born with a gender identity, cis-people included of course. They just don't understand it because they've never had to really think about it.
    If this wasn't true then all of the transgender people in the world would be faking this pain. They wouldn't be happy with who they are once they transitioned, and so on.

I'm not sure if you heard of this story already, but this proves that gender identity is real. Warning it is kind of messed up, so read at your own risk.The Boy Without a Penis.

Now what it sounds like you're going through is self-doubt, and that's certainly normal. I struggle with that a lot; but in the end I know being a woman won't provide me happiness. And so, I think if you believe you're a man, then you my friend are a man. :slight_smile:

3. metalgrrl

Sounds like you already have a strong idea about your gender identity, and your just questioning it because of what others have said. I'm pretty sure there isn't a single trans person who hasn't questioned themselves at one point. You're probably hesitating because your scared of what will happen if you do transition. My suggestion to you would be to try talking to a therapist. Before my current therapist (who my parents are forcing me to go to and i cannot stand) i went to a brilliant therapist who really helped me work past alot of that doubt and anxiety that comes with being trans. maybe you could try something like that? whatever you do, hope you get through it ok (*hug*) i know the feels of what ur going through :frowning2:

4. hiddenxrainbows

I know how you feel, and if you ever need someone to talk to, you can always message me or something if you want. I know how it feels when you feel you have no one to talk to about this and it sucks. So I don't want anyone to feel like they're alone now because there's lots of us out there.

If anyone's telling you its unnatural to be trans, they're wrong. Its not. There are lots of trans people, more than you think. Its just that trans people aren't getting enough media attention yet, to make people realize that it is natural and actually a lot more common than they think. Its just cisgender people don't really understand trans people, at least a lot of them, because to them, its normal to feel right in your body, and I'm a lot of places, trans people aren't exactly common knowledge. Lots of people still haven't heard of trans people. And lots of the ones who have still call us trannies and such and have crazy stereotypes and such in their heads that are just lies to make us look bad. So it'll be a whole before the general population thinks of us as "normal."

We ARE normal though. There's nothing wrong with being trans. The only bad thing about is the stigma we get. Bit its not being trans that's the problem. Its just that society hasn't accepted us yet. But they will eventually. So don't let them get you down and don't let them tell you who you are. Only you can know who you really are.

Though like I first said, I know how you feel. I'm still in the closet because I fear what others will say and think about me, especially my family. I fear employers discriminating against me for it, even with the anti discrimination laws in place in my state. And because I still doubt myself sometimes. I fear coming out to everyone, or even just a few people, only to tell them later that I was wrong and I really just a girl. But deep down, I know that I am in fact a man. I think I just doubt myself because of all the stigma that trans people get and I fear getting treated like a freak for it.

So you're not alone. And again, if you need someone to talk to, feel free to message me.

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice, everyone.
    Now, I need to go and find myself a good gender therapist...