1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender neutralisation surgery...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KazTastic, Sep 1, 2013.

1. KazTastic

Hi,

So my dysphoria has been getting worse, and I don't even feel like I belong to any gender.

I just don't want anything between my legs anymore. I feel like grabbing a knife from the kitchen and cutting it all off.

Do any doctors actually perform gender neutralisation surgery, do I have to pick a gender, or do it myself?

2. Nick07

Hmm. I don't think they call it that way. I am not sure how you are picturing your body to look like. It needs to function properly so there are not many possibilities. But I would dare to guess you could negotiate something. I wouldn't mention no-gender probably. There are still binary laws...

3. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Please do not do this. Go see a psychiatrist immediately (you need one in order to get this surgery anyway). DO NOT physically harm yourself. Also, what you have between your legs has nothing to do with gender.

4. Hexagon

This is unnecessarily patronising, I think. The OP isn't stupid. Ze feels like doing it, that doesn't mean ze will. I've felt like doing that sort of thing before as well.

OP, Unfortunately, I think it will be rather hard for you to achieve this. There are few, if any, treatment paths for non-binary individuals, and non-binary genders are not recognised by states :frowning2: You might be able to arrange something though. Why don't you contact surgeons and ask them if they would be willing to do it if you had the appropriate referrals? And you can also try talking to a psychiatrist. However, as far as I know, there is no diagnosis for non-binary trans people, and they probably won't treat you. Maybe it might be better to say you're binary, and only accept the treatments you want.

5. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm glad you didn't, but people often do outlandish things when they're in a dark place, and I don't think you'd want the OP to bleed to death on the bathroom floor, no?

6. Hexagon

Of course not. But nearly every trans person I've met has said something like this before, and I don't go insulting them all just because they have gender dysphoria.

7. KazTastic

At the moment, I just don't want genitals or a reproductive system any more, at the moment, I don't really care about looking androgynous.

I'm lucky that here in Australia, I can get X as my gender on my passport, so I'm assuming that there might be a chance of getting somewhere. Though I highly doubt anyone will offer bottom surgery to an MtN like myself...

8. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't see how I insulted him. :S

9. Hexagon

Ze isn't a man.

I dunno about the OP, but I'd find it incredibly insulting if I were to be treated as if I were at risk of suicide just because I described my feelings about my genitals.

10. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nodepony, I feel for you. It must be hard to hate your bits and not wanting the female bits, which I totally understand, by the way.
    I have no idea what the possibilities are, but I hope you find a way to get what you want or come to hate your bits less.

It´s not about what you have between your legs, but I can still see how it can bother you.

11. hiddenxrainbows

I know how you feel! Kind of. I can't stand having girl bits. I hate it. Especially since I'm having "that time" right now. The only difference is I want male parts, instead of neutral ones. Though if I HAD to, I would pick having nothing there than having girl parts. And I can relate to wanting to cut stuff off. I've felt like that about my breasts. So if you ever need need someone to talk to, feel free to message me.

12. Just Jess

I don't think backing Adi into a corner is going to help things any. His heart was in the right place and there's no reason to assume malice here. He ended up doing it, but it's plain that he didn't intend on patronizing anyone.

That, and Adi did have a good reason for suspecting the OP was serious,

Adi, I do understand where you're coming from. This is a safe place, topics as dark as suicide do come up here, and this probably seemed like the same thing. I mean how do you know that he wasn't being literal, right? But part of being a safe place is that people need to be able to a little of what the English majors call "hyperbole". I mean I need to be able to say something "just makes me want to be dead" without being told to get off the internet and call 911.

Now if you are still concerned, "go to a psychiatrist" still has some problems. First, you're assuming the person you're talking to has those kinds of resources. That would be a real kick in the teeth if you said it to me. I haven't been able to afford a therapist for 4 months.

And second, it can easily come across as patronizing. Maybe you see a psychiatrist for your problems. Maybe they helped you. Maybe that's why you're recommending this to someone else. Maybe what you said had a shred of empathy. If so, that would have been a good thing to mention. With only what you said, it really does sound like you're saying the OP is a broken person that needs to be fixed in your view. And hopefully you can see how that's othering and patronizing.

And finally, something else you said, "you have to see one for that kind of therapy anyway", is uneducated and incorrect. The conventional wisdom that a trans person "has to see a psychiatrist" is itself one of the problems the TG community has been fighting for a long time.

A lot of the best surgeons do still require up to two letters from therapists saying you are of sound mind, and there are countries with nationalized health care that do require therapists as well. But generally speaking, plenty of people transition just fine without ever once sitting on a couch.

In short, it is always a GP (general practitioner) or endocrinologist's decision, or in the case of the OP's concerns, urologist's decision, as to how they will approach transsexual health care.

We succeeded in getting GID (gender identity disorder) out of the DSM, and our struggle was exactly as grueling as the gay community's struggle to get "homosexuality" out of the same book.

So back to the OP's problem.

Hi!

Not everyone does. This stuff's confusing. I don't think most people really understand the real place these feelings come from or how powerful they are.

(*hug*) Been there plenty of times believe me.

The short answer to this question is, there are doctors that will do this for you out there.

Please don't do it yourself. The reason why I'm saying that is that you are talking about a complicated surgery that takes follow-up. You don't want to go through all that pain and not be able to enjoy your transition? It is very worth it to see a real doctor for this.

If you seek medical help from a urologist, and you discuss your situation and your options with them, it's possible you and I might even have one of the same surgeries :slight_smile:

Also I do want to recommend, if you can, seeing a therapist, for two reasons.

One, because a good one is great at helping you sort through these kinds of feelings. Mine was.

And two, because if you've been dealing with feeling these feelings for a long time, it's hard! I mean not to pick on Adi, but his reaction is mild compared to what some people will say if you tell them you want to be castrated! So you might be dealing with people teaching you to be ashamed of feeling things like that, and a good therapist can help with that.

But do get a good one if you go.

I don't think it would be appropriate to go too into detail here, because there are a lot of people still coming to terms with their identities. But a good forum full of answers if you decide to go forward is Susan's place. Their wiki so you can learn the language when you talk to people,

Castration - Susan's Place Transgender Wiki

and their forum,

Susan's Place Transgender Resources - Index

13. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry, there are only three personal pronouns in the 3rd person in the English language. I will do my best to construct sentences that do not require their usage in the future, as to not offend anyone.

Also, whenever I see someone state that they are planning to chop off a part of their body by themselves, in an unsafe, unsterile environment, I will automatically assume they're just saying that and ignore it, as to not possibly offend the person that's sending out a cry for help by suggesting that they might need... help.

@cassie29

The legislation in Australia (where the OP lives) requires two independent psychiatric evaluations to take place before any actual gender-related surgeries take place (before even hormone therapy actually). No surgeon over there will operate on the OP before that requirement is met. I also don't see what the problem with such a requirement is. Studies show that a percentage (small, but still existent) of people who undergo gender reassignment surgery end up regretting having it. Can you imagine what would happen if psychiatric evaluations were removed as a requirement? That small percentage could became much larger. It's an irreversible procedure (at least in the case of biological males who undergo it), and should not be done lightly.

And there must be NGOs, places that offer free counseling to people who are in need. I'm not some rich bastard who's all like "oh, don't you a limo too?", if that's the impression I was giving. Just that when someone says they wanna start chopping off parts of themselves with the kitchen knife, I get worried.

14. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't offer much advice - but I can tell you you're not alone. I've been wondering the exact same thing for a while now. I do know that knowing you aren't alone helps sometimes though.

I hope you find an answer, and I'll be watching this thread too

(*hug*)

15. Just Jess

We are not just discussing SRS, though. Although if you'll read over my post I agreed you do need letters for most SRS surgeons the world over. Some options available to the OP are performed regularly by urologists without letters. They are usually done for reasons such as testicular cancer. I won't go into specifics, but this is a grey area and nowhere near as cut and dry as you are making it sound.

It's also not something I'm going to discuss further in a coming out forum. I provided links to a forum with people that are very well informed on the topic.

As well, a lot of the WPATH and HBSOC standards have changed very recently.

I would be happy to engage you in this topic in another thread. However, this conversation is in no way benefiting the OP and I won't continue any further here. If you make another thread I'd like to ask that you let me know via wall post; we've taken up enough of the OP's time and thread space.

EDIT: Although I would like to say thanks for looking at the OP's location. I did some digging, Nodepony, and it's a short drive to the coast, but if you go to http://www.tspc.com.au/ , most of their services (including therapy) are going to be covered by insurance. I've talked to some people that live around there and the most they said they paid out-of-pocket was about $30.

And thanks too Adi for looking up whether a letter is required for hormones in Australia. That is probably a good thing for the OP to be aware of as well.

16. FashionDisaster

I'm not sure about complete gender neutralization, but you should look up the requirements for a bilateral orchiectomy. This is the medical term for the removal of both testes.

Here in the U.S. it costs between $3500-$5000 and there are doctors who are willing to perform it for men who want to become eunuchs. Some are even willing to do it without a letter from a therapist. Maybe there are some in Australia or within a reasonable travel distance, that you could find. This could help with your dysphoria since it will mean that you will have a lot less testosterone, will most likely have a lot fewer erections, and with some tight underwear it will be easy to make yourself look completely flat.

I know this isn't completely what you want, but it would be a huge step in that direction.

17. KazTastic

I will probably need to talk to a psychologist anyway to sort a number of things out, so I will bring up my dysphoria with them.

Perhaps I might be a woman, I just don't know...