1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderqueer and Alternate Masculine/Feminine Names

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Meribor, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Meribor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey, in exploring my genderqueer-ness, I'm considering playing around with the name Kristen, in addition to my real name (not Rudo, btw).

For those that are trans* I get why alt-gender names are crucial, but for those that are genderqueer, I'd like to ask what folks get out of using alternate feminine/masculine names? I'm just not yet sure why or what I'd get out of it.

I've yet to introduce myself as Kristen or ask people to use different pronouns. But I'm letting the name crop up here and there. I'm still comfortable enough as a guy, so I don't see pronouns as an issue, at least not yet.

I like the name Kristen, in part, because I didn't choose it: it's the name my Mother said I would have been named if I were born a girl. Slight bonus that it was also fairly popular the year I was born.

Slight snafu, however, in that six years after I was born, my younger sister Christine was born, and she, understandably, feels that I am crowding in on her territory. As I've learned these past few months, people are a bit sensitive about their identities.

Thanks for any and all responses.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're 41 that makes your sister like 35, she needs to grow up!

Also that avatar is cute as a button!

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've considered using genderless names such as Alex, Ashley and Sam. I'm still going with what I have though, since it sounds pretty androgynous anyway.

I don't think it's entirely crucial, but it would probably help hinder the dysphoria, especially if you have a name like "Mike" or "Tim" where it sounds like you play NFL football at day and chop wood in the Alps at night.

4. Meribor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If it comes down to a legal name change, I've considered swapping out my middle name out for Kristen and having all three names printed on my licence.

5. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Personally I use a variant of my name I will legally change it to once I start transitioning.

R.e.e.s.
    Each letter is the first letter of all four words in my name I've chosen.

sounds like reese

6. hof13

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Not trying to be a downer or anything, but I think that if your sister's name is Christine, you may not want to change your name to Kristen, cuz it could get really confusing for people.

7. Meribor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's not being a downer pointing out purely practical reasons why it might be a poor name choice. But what is getting me down a bit is that I had already started to identify with the name, and now the slog to find a new one. Not to mention that I still don't entirely know I'll get out of it