1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First trans* support group

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by transqueer, Sep 3, 2013.

1. transqueer

Ahhhh! Up until today I have been relying on internet support and my one-on-one therapist for my questioning/trans* identity and issues. My therapist finally suggested I go to the local LGBTQQIA center and attend one of their trans* support groups. Tonight is the night and I'm so nervous. The group is a "youth group" that is open to people up to 25, so I'm still young enough (22). I'm just worried because I go by neutral pronouns and I am in the very very early stages of admitting I am FTM that the other people in this group will think I'm not "trans* enough".

I'm also SUPER nervous because the first trans* meeting of the month, friends and family are welcome. What if somebody brings friends or family who know my family and then I get outed? Ahhh! :tears:

Has anybody else gone to local support groups, have they helped? Please tell me I'm not the only one who worries about not being "trans* enough"

2. suninthesky

Think of it this way - if you are outed to someone, they are outed to you. It works both ways and there is a lot of trust in meetings. The very first thing that they will probably say is: what is said here stays here. They might even go so far as to tell you not to let on that you know someone outside of the group unless you've explicitly told them they can.

I went to my first trans* specific support group a couple weeks ago. I think you'll find it is really good. People there understand about finding yourself, using the right pronouns, and how it is a different journey for everyone. They will empathize on the daily struggles and that can be a very valuable thing.

The not being trans enough idea has never made sense to me. We are who we are. I get what you mean though - after coming out I feel self-conscious of a lot of mannerisms and things that I do that might not scream manly man. Just try to forget about it and be yourself and I think it'll be okay.

It's okay to be nervous. I was. But honestly I think it's a great thing that you're going.

In my group, it usually goes like this:

Go around the circle introducing. Each person says zir name and preferred pronoun.
    Then usually everyone goes around and says something that happened that week, maybe a good thing or maybe a struggle. Then we discuss a current trans* related event. Then we just talk about whatever. It might be a little different with family there. The subjects brought up may/may not be as personal, but I think you'll find that it's nice to have non-trans people there that're accepting.

3. hof13

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey Guys,

I'm a 14 year old (almost 15) transgender guy. I am new to the site and I not out to anyone but my best friend. I am tying to figure out how to come out to my parents and brother, but I am kinda nervous. Before I come out I wanted to come up with the name I would like to be called. I was thinking either, Jake, Alex or Alec. Tell me what one you think I should go with and if you have any suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks