1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons for Transition Regret?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by An Gentleman, Sep 3, 2013.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard a lot about former transsexuals who regret transition.
    I'm kind of curious as to why, since the stories I've heard are mostly about how badly they regret everything. Is it the surgery, the hormones, or what?
    What do you guys think?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you think of a bigger change you could possibly make?

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ...If it was possible to change your species, then that would be something.
    Otherwise, can't think of anything.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well consider how easy it is to regret something as minor as saying the wrong thing to someone...

But also, there will always be times when you think 'the fuck have I done?!' with everything. Not necessarily because you really think it was a bad idea but because little things build up and you start to blame it on the biggest thing you can think of. Plus there's the general attitude a lot of people seem to have that transfolk are somehow 'wrong' which doesn't help matters.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I've heard it said that transition has a higher success rate than the detransition "horror" stories would have one believe. But I'd think it'd have to do with going into such a life altering experience as gender transition against a number of factors- rushing into the process without fulling considering the implications, a family and community that may have rejected the individual, finances and economic situation, regretting the changes and loss of prior life, etc.

Which is why transition isn't something to undertake on a lunch break. You consider your options, don't rush, and really consider if it's right for you.

6. suninthesky

Sometimes trans people have too high of expectations of what hormones and surgery and do. Maybe a guy thinks his voice will lower more than it did, or maybe he doesn't end up growing a full beard. Maybe he thought that he could get the top surgery that doesn't leave scar, but the skin ends up loose instead. Maybe after goes through everything, some people still get mis-gendered and that must have to be crazy hard to deal with. Maybe some people think that transitioning will solve problems, but aren't ready for the slew of other problems it might bring. There's a lot of reasons.

7. This ^