1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I went to the gender identity therapist

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by wity, Sep 5, 2013.

1. wity

Today I went to see her for the first time and it was amazing, I felt like I could be myself, and I can't wait to see her again

2. Tic Code

That's really awesome! Therapy can be really liberating, since you know they're there to help you and view you objectively, so there's no fear of being judged! Plus, the whole point of their job is to understand you first before trying to help.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to take that step for yourself! I hope it continues to be a good experience! :slight_smile:

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Glad it went so well. Mark of a good gender therapist right there. Here's hoping your transition goes off to a good start. :slight_smile:

4. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay! :icon_bigg I was wondering how you were doing therapy wise. I'm glad that it went well. :grin:

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

This made me smile.

Great therapists are awesome, and I feel the same way about mine.. I've been in her practice since February and she's motivated me so much to continue living life as best as I can, as well as giving me a safe space to actually be myself without fear of misgendering or judgment.

Congrats to taking the first step, and hope your journey goes well! :slight_smile:

6. Nick07

I wish my first therapist knew he was supposed to understand and not judge. Now I flat refuse to see another one. Too scared I will be hurt again :frowning2:

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Nick, there are therapists that focus on LGBT issues. Perhaps you could request one?

Wity: BMO is happy for your successes :slight_smile:
    [​IMG]

8. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel hun. (*hug*) But don't give up hope; there are good therapists out there. I had to go through 7 judgmental/transphobic ones myself before I found the one that I have now. My general rule of thumb is if a therapist is judging rather than walking with you through dealing with a problem then they've failed their job.

9. Nick07

Wity, congratulations :slight_smile:

Riyuichi and Sinopaa, the guy has built part of his career on gender issues, so I hoped he was OK. It was awful experience, I entered his office in deep depression and walked out feeling even worse :frowning2: I don't know. But it's nice to know the good ones are out there too.

Sinopaa, seven? I can't imagine how you could survive...

10. Bryar Thorne

This sounds so familiar to me.. I've been to so many therapists for years and learn they are transphobic/homophobic before coming out by bringing up experiences with people in my life.. I even sometimes make someone up just to test them. I usually do that within a session or two now though to see if I'm wasting my time. It's hard but there's always someone out there for everyone :slight_smile: You just gotta keep trying at it :slight_smile:

As for you Wity, congrats! Such a great step towards your future :slight_smile: I'm really happy for you! :grin: Hope it works out! :eusa_clap(*hug*)