1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not passing :(

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FightingShadows, Sep 6, 2013.

1. FightingShadows

So, I finally started binding my chest at work and due to being out in public with my binder in other places and being mistaken as a guy before, I thought "The binder is the answer to all my problems!" Yeah, not so.
    I know working as a cashier customer's have seen me before I started binding so obviously they'd think I was a girl no matter what. But there are also customer's I've never had before and even though i'm binding, they STILL call me a girl. It's totally pissing me off because honestly, I have a big chest and I was getting mistaken as a guy a hell lot more when I WASN'T binding than I am now. It doesn't make any sense! I keep asking all my friends what's wrong. Why am I not passing and they say they have no idea that I look like a guy to them. Maybe they're being honest and maybe they're not, so maybe I can ask you guys. I have a pic on my profile. PLEASE tell me what it is that's making passing as a guy so damn hard.

2. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You look like a cute guy to me :grin:
    Maybe the suit you wear to work...

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2013 at 12:28 AM ----------

Or because you don't have facial hair, I don't know. You seem pretty young.

3. Nick07

Perhaps it's all about expectations. You were glad that you were mistaken as a guy, so you always noticed it. Now you are doing the opposite...

Does it make sense to you? :slight_smile:

4. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll be honest.

To me you look like a young teenage boy who is effeminate, but that is all I get from that photo.

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You look boyish to me!

Do you greet others first? It could be a voice thing.

6. FightingShadows

I tend to stay quiet. I've been told my voice is in between (obviously not masculine enoughbut not overly feminine). But I think my voice along with lack of facial hair, and maybe the shape of my face? is what does me in. All things I can't change without T

7. You look like a late teenage guy to me... except I can still the lady in the eyebrows. Trust me, eyebrows make a difference. I thought about trying to pass as a woman before but chickened out because I knew I couldn't, and my big bushy eyebrows were part of the problem.

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, you'd be surprised by how big a difference it makes. I used to trim mine but since they're naturally busy, once I stopped and let them grow out, helped me pass that much more (if only through pics...).

Watch the mannerisms. Little things all add up to one's gender perception of you. And if possible (though at work, probably stuck in a uniform), layer clothes to go for more of a blocky masculine shape. And if it fails, work out and bulk up around shoulders.

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The shape of your face is very boyish. I really think the only 2 things to work on are the things that are on the further end of the spectrum: Facial hair, and possibly voice.

Memphis also just said some things I never thought about.

10. Klutz

You asked for honesty so here it is-

Traditionally men's hairstyles typically have more grooming around the ears. Do a search of how not to have pixie cuts look like boy's hair. For some reason "boy's" gets better results than "men's" or "guy's". Go figure. Or how to have a feminine pixie cut.

This is a decent slideshow to illustrate my point:
    5 Ways To Style A Pixie Haircut, As Worn By Anne Hathaway, Halle Berry And More Stars (PHOTOS)

Look at what they term "boyish". They have short hair in front of their ears. Most the others don't, except some of the "razor sharp?" where the person is wearing gobs of makeup to show off traditionally feminine features and also the hair on the sides is super short.

Other things I noticed (that I really hope you don't do anything to change) was that you have awesome skin tone and really nice lips. Seriously. I pay money to get my lips that shade and my skin tone that even. At your age (or my best guess from the picture) most guys are breaking out like crazy.

Looking at your picture, I would have told myself "androgynous, so don't make an assumption because you are likely to screw up and hurt feelings". You are beautiful, and I hope that what I said helps, because it is in no way any sort of criticism.

11. suninthesky

I think Nick's on to something here. When I used to only occasionally get 'mistaken' for a guy
    I would notice it. But now, when I've started passing more, the times I don't pass make me take more notice and all.

But to be honest, you pass really well. I'm pretty jealous >.>

Maybe try to have more confidence. Just confidence in yourself can help a lot!

12. justjade

Believe me, I have the same problem. I think you pass really well, honestly. It's just weird because it seemed like I passed better when I wasn't trying, when I didn't even know I was trans yet. Now that I'm actually taking steps to look more like a guy, I get called ma'am all the time. I'm not sure what's going on either. :confused:

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say you're a classic exemplar of manliness, but judging by your profile pic, you look like a guy to me.

14. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I think you look like a young guy. I'd only assume otherwise if your voice was distinctly female or your mannerisms came across as feminine to me.

15. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After looking at the pic in your profile - You're not a normal teenage guy? Certainly look like one....

16. sguyc

You dont really pass. You look androgynous. Sorry, im sure you will continue to make progress. If you havent taken testosterone yet that will help alot. You need some facial hair and a rougher face.

17. Sarcastic Luck

The big thing is that your face seems to round, that's what throws it for me.

18. Emulator

It could be the lips and skin tone, but otherwise you look enough like a guy to me.

19. Nick07

I would probably mis-gender you too. I kept blocking parts of your face to see what said to my brain "female" but I can't figure it out. Perhaps it's several little things that connect together.
    Have you tried different shape of glasses? Something more square? Longer hair that would cover your forehead (and) your eyebrows?
    There are websites that allow you to upload your picture and try different haircut, you could try that.

Don't feel bad. Human brain is a strange thing. Sometimes it makes connection that we don't really appreciate *hug*

20. Romy J

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm sorry if I sound harsh here, but first though in my head after looking at your pic was 'Rachel Maddow.' The way your hair is styled and the style of glasses is what made me think that.

For hair, the sides are typically shorter than the top on most guys. Unless they're in need of a cut/trim, the hair around the ears is typically pretty clean cut.

When it comes to glasses, unless they're wanting to be "stylish," most guys I know would just go with a simple wire frame. Most times, the simpler, the better.

Those are just my opinions though. Hopefully I was a little helpful, but when it comes down to it, your personal style has to be in there.