1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning - FTM, What do you think...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LEG7930, Sep 8, 2013.

1. LEG7930

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So as of lately I have been thinking I identify more as male that female lately. I still have a lot of discovering on my part to do before coming out to ANYONE, but I think I might actually meet with a psychologist I know (through an LGBTQ support group) soon to talk about gender stuff.

A lot of what has made me not want to pursue my male side is due to my family. When I came out to them as bisexual it didn't go as well as I had hoped. Also shortly after coming out I cut my hair really short and they weren't too happy about that either.

So this weekend I was thinking to myself, what would I say or what would I do to come out as trans, if I came to that point? And it got me thinking (and I would like all your opinions on the topic), what if I came out really slowly. For example I already dress pretty male, so maybe over winter break cut my hair short again, stop shaving legs, let that sink in then maybe start binding, etc. What do you all think about transitioning (I'm not talking about hormones or surgery at this point) slowly over months then having a conversation with them before I were to start hormones (if a therapist and myself thought that was the best course of action and my next stage in transitioning)?

Do you think it would make it less drastic than if I were to just say tomorrow "hey mom and dad I think I might be trans." Because they would see a progression more towards displaying as a male?

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

2. transqueer

Personally I would say, meet with a therapist and talk to them first. They will probably give you a lot of advice you'll get on this site, but they might also be able to give you a list of local trans* resources in case your parents react badly.

It seems to be pretty common that people start forms of social transitioning before medical transitioning. (dressing more masculine, hair changes, changing deodorant and body wash to a "masculine" scent as well). You could also make an appointment with a therapist and then say either before or after "Mom, Dad, I've been seeing a therapist (or I am going to start seeing a therapist) because I think I have Gender Identity Disorder" A LOT of people in the community don't agree with the term GID, but if you think your parents might react badly it might be best to come at it from a medical point of view. Explain that in the eyes of medical professionals it is an actual thing that requires medical attention; that medical attention being therapy, hormones, socializing as the opposite gender and eventually surgery if you want it.

But it might be easier for your parents if you say "I think I am, so I'm seeing a therapist" and then just keep them updated as you figure it out.

Some people argue against that and say not to come out until you are 100% sure because your family will try to convince you that it isnt true. Which happened to me. I told a cousin and he started telling me what a pretty girl I was, and sending me pictures where I was dressing really feminine to argue against me being FTM.

Good luck!

3. LEG7930

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you for your reply and I think coming from a medical standpoint with my parents will be beneficial because when I came out as bi to them they turned to thinking it was something medically wrong with me. So if they see being trans as a medical issue that I am addressing through therapy, then maybe they will be ok with it (or at least more so).

P.S. I see your location says soon to be Tucson, AZ. That's where I am!