1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not being able to father a child

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MrSmooth, Sep 11, 2013.

1. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So my sister wants a baby and she keeps talking to my mom about it, And how she wants to get married and do it right, Its so fustrating not being able to procreate, And give a woman a baby, I don't wanna adopt or use artificial insemination, Its upsetting that I can't just be normal

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umm, you're 16 and your orientation says straight? What are you worried about? I don't mean to be harsh but unless you're already known to be sterile for some reason (such as if you're a transguy), I would say your situation sounds A-OK.

I get that feeling sometimes too though. Occasionally I really want to be with a guy and might end up with one someday. But I do want to be a father and adopting would not quite be the same thing.

3. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think adopting is just fine, some non-biological parents love their children 100 times more than some biological parents who take their children for granted and see them as their "property". Plus, by adopting, you save a child's life from being brought up without love in orphanages and random foster homes.
    Bear also in mind that science grows more potent each day, and now if you find a woman who is willing and doesn't want the baby, you can merge your sperm with her eggs without sexual intercourse and let her have your baby and then give it to you and your husband. It does sound like a sci-fi scenario but we live in a world of countless possibilities you never know what life will bring to you. :slight_smile:

4. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Dude Im a transguy I like women, I said I wish I could produce sperm

---------- Post added 11th Sep 2013 at 03:58 PM ----------

Im a transguy I don't wanna adopt

5. Zac

Zac

Sorry that I can't help. Must be a horrible feeling (*hug*)

6. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yea it is

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Alright. I will admit, this isn't something I really try and think about. Never wanted kids but I will admit the lack of ability to father one cuts me up.

Anyway. You won't be able to have one the way you want. Not there yet in terms of medical technology and in the immediate future, perhaps there will be options for transwomen and transmen to have biological children. For instance, the first womb implants are occuring around the world- transwomen may one day be able to carry a child. A similiar option may one day be available for transmen.

But we're far from there yet. And I take it if you want a family, you won't be willing to wait thirty years for science to catch up.

I get it's dysphoric inducing and hell to know your body's not going to work the way it should have. Believe me. Not a new feeling for me either. But think of it this way- plenty of cismen are infertile. Hell, ciswomen as well. The inability to have children doesn't invalidate their gender. And while obviously, our case isn't quite the same, point being your manhood isn't dependent on what's in your pants. Despite what you've heard.

I actually like to think of myself as something of an amputee. A man loses his leg- he may never be able to run or walk like a man with two but technology's bringing him closer every day to being able to run a race or what have you not. So I'm a man without a penis. And it'll never be the same as the 'real thing' but transmen have options, we're getting closer every day to having functional options.

So if kids are what you want, you have options. Artificial insemination could be something you and, I assume, your future wife may seek out. If you so wanted, you could always save your eggs before you begin HRT. And I've been reading up- there also may be an option to take your bone marrow and convert it into a sperm cell.

It won't be the same as simply plugging it into your lady and having the little swimmers do the job. I get that it sucks but you can make it work. Can't let everything get you down. Then where does that leave you?

Hope this helped. Hang in there, man. (*hug*)

8. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thats something that won't go away, Everytime anyone talks about sperm o pregnancies I get mad, Like know

9. SilverGirl

this also saddens me, it would be an amazing feeling to be able to get pregnant and have a child, i would love my child so much :icon_sad: (not that i would not love an adopted child, but giving birth to a child would be so special)

10. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It always fustrates me

11. DhammaGamer

Yea, I wish I could bear my own children. I will hopefully adopt one day. There are many motherless children in this world who need a happy home and loving parents. I don't need to be able to get pregnant to be a good mommy.

12. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Yea but I want to see m wife give birth so I can be their as a father to see my son or daughter grow into a man or woman

13. DhammaGamer

Why is that so important? There are lot's of cisgender people who cannot produce children of their own. This isn't an issue that is confined by the terms of your gender identity. It is an issue of acceptance of the limitations of your body and the choices you have in this life to raise and father children, regardless whose genetic material was used to produce those children.

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Seconded.

Man. I'm sorry but this is something you'll have to accept sooner or later. It's hard to deal with, knowing your body has limitations, but that certainly doesn't mean you can't find a way to live a productive and fulfilling life anyway. You can't let shit like this destroy you. Too easy to let it. Believe me, I know.

15. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's interesting when people use the term "normal" it's a vague concept that people have created as a standard.
    People have family (IE children that they make) but sometimes you have to build a family in a non-traditional sense. Adopting or artificial insemination doesn't make them any less family then "normal" kid making.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every mother/father I know that has adopted children will tell you that there's no difference. They wouldn't love the kids any more or any less if they had actually conceived/gave birth to them.

I knew one couple that had adopted a teenage girl's baby, and they were there for the birth, so it was just as special for them as if they had actually given birth the old-fashioned way.

17. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Why would it not be important seeing a woman give birth to my child, That I helped create, I don't want to adopt or use someone elses sperm, You don't understand I already have to pay for surgery you expect me to pay more money for adoption to, Why buy one when you can create one

---------- Post added 12th Sep 2013 at 02:53 PM ----------

Naw bro this aint just shit, It's very important to me, and I can't just let it go you honestly think it's that easy, And you got all these no good fathers out here that walk away and their taking advantage of what they have their taking it for granted, Yet Im willing to the best father I can possibly be when I get older but I came out with the wrong body and can't even procreate

---------- Post added 12th Sep 2013 at 02:57 PM ----------

Again I just said I don't want to adopt, I wanna see me and my future wifes baby grow, I want to see the wonderful gift of life, That's so much better

---------- Post added 12th Sep 2013 at 02:58 PM ----------

Never said doesn't but I don't want to do that

#17 MrSmooth, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

But then what are you supposed to do? Man, transition isn't magic. We're not magic. Not at a point where you can be bestowed with sperm and baby making abilties. Can't be done.

My advice? Look into Stephen Whittle. Transguy, professor, and father. Transmen are fathers everyday. Not conventionally, perhaps, but what difference does it really make?

19. Just Jess

I think she understands. It's hard for all of us. Some of us just found a way to come to terms with things, and we felt like sharing how we did it with you hoping it would help.

It would be nice if we found a way for people like you to father kids and people like me to get pregnant. I would say you have no idea how jealous I get of my friend who likes to talk to me through IM about her pregnancy. But you probably do.

Even if I could get pregnant, I'd have being gay on top of everything. What would I do, cheat on my girlfriend and let someone get me pregnant? Artificial insemination? A surrogate?

This stuff will eat you up if you let it though. So I deal with it the way a lot of us do. I view myself as a woman with a "free" hysterectomy. Maybe some day they'll find better options for people like us. And if that happens I will feel so happy for the next generation.

I really hope you find something that works for you. Tell then I can just say, yeah, this really sucks. You're not alone.

But if you've found someone that loves you, and you're really ready to be a dad, and you do decide to play with the cards you've got, then you can make your kid's life a million times better than it would be without you in it. You and your wife could still be awesome parents and see a kid you raised play baseball and have their first kiss and maybe go to college. And you would still be able to look at that kid and say "I did that". Raising kids is the hard part. I couldn't do it.

20. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

IIRC, there was some work being done to fertilize an egg with the genetic material from another egg or oocyte. Won't really have the random chance of boy/girl, unless one of you has AIS (Androgen Insensitivity) or is a chimera (multiple genetic makeups, possibly XX and XY), but still...