1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronouns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ConfusedRunaway, Sep 13, 2013.

1. ConfusedRunaway

So, I've been wondering if anyone else has ever misgendered themselves or used the wrong pronouns on themselves from time to time. This has been happening to me ever since I started to discover I was male and every time it does, it makes me feel like I'm lying to myself and I am not really trans at all and I hate it. So I ask, has anybody else every misgendered or used the wrong pronouns on themselves?

2. Sarcastic Luck

Yep. Happens from time to time.

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've gone through 2-3 years of gender confusion. Intense confusion, at that. So while I'm totally okay with being "ze" or "Hir", I'm also totally fine if people label me as "he" or "him" because I really don't want to put them through the confusion I had in those years.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, even I mess up my own pronouns. But I definitely prefer being referred to as male, so all just a matter of being referred to one as a new thing. Give yourself credit, man. You've had fifteen years of having female pronouns used on you, takes time to get used to what feels right.

5. yep, usually people I'm not out to yet... I misgender myself just to avoid explaining...

6. transqueer

It happens to me even with people I'm out to! Its just a part of socializing as that gender for so long, it's in my head just like it's in the heads of the people who knew me for years and years as that gender. Be patient with yourself. It happens on accident, or to avoid explaining, or because you're subconsciously insecure at that moment.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do this sometimes too. I'm glad to hear that I am not the only person that does this..

8. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Oh, I do often. Sometimes to the point where I even forget that I go by male pronouns and if someone accidentally misgenders me, I don't even pick up on it.

I guess that's what I'm used to after seventeen years of female pronouns.

9. suninthesky

Sometimes I stumble over my words a lot, but that's only because I try to talk about myself w/o using any pronouns. I guess it helps me have some empathy for my friends struggling to feel comfortable using male pronouns. It's different and take time to get used to.

10. Evil Monkeyz

I have a strong dislike for pronouns outside of the fact they make writing easier. I never know what to call myself as a sort of androgynous person and saying "I'm a girl" just doesn't feel right...

11. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, on my voicemail, I once used the first person plural...

12. IzCassie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I absolutely hate when people use masculine pronouns to refer to me in conversation.

My family still does it, and it's very irritating. They're still adjusting, though, so I guess that's excusable.

I still don't like it. Meh. :dry:

Anyway, I never have any problem with pronouns. I've never "mis-gendered" myself, but I don't correct people. I just let it be, because I don't enjoy answering questions from prying individuals.

13. AlexTheBlogger

This happens sometimes with me, specially when I back to my house after visiting my mother (I'm not out to her yet), but even if I use the wrong pronouns to refer to myself, it feels weird.

14. Niko

It happens to me too. Though I try to avoid using any pronouns when referring to myself around anyone. It just feels wrong when I use female pronouns.

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did it a bit when I was at a crossroads of being open and stuck in the closet. It sucked.

16. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've come to mentally gender myself properly now. I've also managed to avoid referring to myself as a man completely over the last year, but I had a number of mental slip-ups until the last couple of months. It takes to time to undo all the bullshit programming. Try giving yourself a mental pat on the back when you get it right, rather than being sad about when you slip up. Chances are you get it right most of the time.

17. DhammaGamer

It took about 6 months to break out of the habit of calling myself the wrong gender. Just like any behavior, it takes time and practice. If it's this hard for you to change your own behavior, imagine how difficult it must be for some of your friends and family. Patience with yourself and others is incredibly important.

18. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to slip up with pronouns when I'm really tired. I wouldn't fret over it too much though; we all have that awkward adjusting period. In my first 2 months I would even slip on my name. X_X

19. JustAnotherSoul

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, I've experienced both misgendering myself and not noticing when someone else misgenders me. It's pretty awful. I feel like my mind's betraying me, and of course it causes all sorts of trouble with not feeling "trans* enough." Le sigh.

20. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I'm talking with people I'm out to, I refer to myself as male. Since I'm pre-T, they think I'm nuts.:dry: But I sometimes refer to myself as "she" in my thoughts, and end up arguing with my own brain. The voice in my head is pretty masculine, but it occasionally reverts to a female voice. I think you just have to get used to using the right pronouns, like the rest of the people you've come out to...