1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dear trans* people further along than I am,

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by transqueer, Sep 14, 2013.

1. transqueer

I just need a little reassurance right now. I'm at that "just starting to come out, dealing with losing the person I'm in love with and a few friends" part of transitioning. My life is changing big time, and I am coming out to my family this upcoming week so who knows what else could go wrong or who else I could lose.

I just wanna hear from people who have already gone through all this stuff. Please tell me it gets better! Tell me some good stories. I keep trying to focus on my life after I start transitioning but its so hard with the weight of my relationship ending. I just need to hear the grass IS greener when you are finally being yourself. :confused:

2. DhammaGamer

I'm two years since coming out. I ended a relationship of almost 4 years just prior to coming out to friends and family. The first 6 months were very difficult, prolly the hardest time of my life. However, I never could have guessed how happy comfortable I could be. Two years later the dust is finally starting to settle amongst my family, and the rest of my life is beautifully ordinary. I'm an A student, a waitress at a fantastic restaurant, I have lots of friends and freedom, and every day I become more and more comfortable with my body and with my identity. Stresses don't go away, but I can say with absolute certainty that my life is a million times better now than it was two years ago. Keep strong, hon. It gets better.

3. AlexTheBlogger

I came out crying to my dad and stepmother. And you know what? Everything went perfect! They are very supporting, and so are my siblings and my uncle :slight_smile:
    But the best part is my mother: she was very transphobic, homophobic and racist, but now she is being very supporting of the LGBTQ* community and I plan on coming out to her soon!
    Things can change and become better than expected, believe on it!

Good luck!

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in the coming out process since 2010 and I currently have an amazing partner who is super accepting and loving. He's told me in many phone calls we've had that he doesn't see me as a trans*guy, but a guy. Like fully, and that's so awesome since I rarely experience validation.

While my family has been a bit of a pain for me, and my dysphoria has landed me in the hospital a lot this year; things are looking pretty positive for me. I haven't engaged in self-harm in four months and I haven't had a drink of alcohol in two; two things I used to do quite a bit earlier this year. I'm becoming more confident and happy with the man I see looking back at me in the mirror, something that would trip me up when I was 17.

I'm hoping to get my name changed before I turn 21 and with my luck get closer to getting approved for T and top surgery. Things take time, but in the end they'll work out. Just keep your chin up and try to be confident, positive and patient.