1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can one be trans* without experiencing much dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by wonderstruck, Sep 16, 2013.

1. wonderstruck

For the past few months, I've felt really confused about my gender identity. I'm AMAB, and for a while I've privately used "genderqueer" as a label, but recently I've explored the terrifying frontier of the possibility that I'm MTF. I've never particularly felt uncomfortable with male pronouns, or my somewhat gender-neutral name (Jack). I usually don't feel passionately about my gender, but there are times when I feel particularly uncomfortable and misgendered, mainly when my mom tells me "you can't wear (x), you're a boy!"

However, despite my preferences in gender expression, I've never experienced much discomfort about my body. I mean, I almost want my face to look more smooth, I shave my legs, and I'm repulsed by the concept of having chest and facial hair, but I don't want breasts, or different genitals. I've occasionally had vague feelings that I might feel better with a different body, but these feelings are never passionate enough for me to want to pay to transition. My question is, can one identify as trans* whilst somewhat satisfied with the body he or she is assigned to at birth? And does it sound as if I should continue calling myself genderqueer? Also, my apologies if anything I said is insulting to the transgender community, for that was not my intention.

2. SWAGboy

SWAGboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In a short answer, yes

3. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use to think I was FtM but decided to label myself as genderqueer afterwards, since my dysphoria for certain parts wasn't as strong and I was pretty flexible with wearing any type of clothing including female, and I also didn't always feel like a male. My feelings often shifted back and forth, and several months I just decided to accept my true identity. This might not be your case, but in a way I can relate. What I'm saying is, go with your gut feeling and what feels more right for you. Anyway, to answer your main question, yes you can be transgender and not have much dysphoria. Not everyone starts off the same. Some people knew they were transgender since a child, others didn't figure it out till later. Same thing like sexuality, really.

#3 Gipsy, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The amount of dysphoria you have doesn't make you less trans*. So yeah, you can be trans* without experiencing much dysphoria.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a question that I had for a long time as well. I really don't feel too much dysphoria. I does not make you less trans* if you don't feel as much dysphoria.

Edit: Daydreamer1 posted while I was thinking..