1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pride Idea--Please read and comment!!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cynder, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Cynder

Please read and comment what you think!!

I heard this idea, and thought it was cool, and I was wondering what other trans people thought of it. The idea is that in November(not sure why this month) all Trans* and trans* supportive people would color their right hand purple, and keep it that way for the whole month (except for special occasions and whatnot). Basically this would be done with body paint, hair dye, food coloring, skin dye, or other non-harmful methods of skin coloring. Purple would be the color showing how we are in between male and female(weather that is our gender identity, or we are just in that position with transition, being raised as the wrong gender, etc.) The hope is that if enough people do it, it will raise trans* awareness, and if people don't know about it, but see it and are informed, they can join in. It is specifically not done on pride month because pride month is for all LGBT support, and by doing this on pride month it would seem like trans* people are only focusing on themselves and not the whole LGBT community.

So would anybody be up for it? What are your ideas(please tell even if you think it's really dumb)? Any questions? Or suggestions? I know the person who came up with this so I can ask or recommend things.

2. I don't think it's dumb at all! Increasing visibility and starting a cultural conversation is a lot of times really helpful. It's a simple enough thing that anyone can do if they want to speak out about trans* rights and issues. And it would certainly get attention if you got a lot of people to do it.

And people obviously wouldn't have to if it's not safe, they aren't out, etc. Of course.

Really the only issue I would have is that I just don't think doing this for an entire month is all that practical.

3. 2112

I can see this spreading, but I'm not sure about actually coloring the hand purple, maybe just a small (but noticeable) symbol or bracelet specifically for trans people?

4. Cynder

Not to sound like I am insulting you idea, because I'm totally not trying to AT ALL, but we are trying to make it a noticeable as possible, without "disrupting the learning environment", making people/ourselves uncomfortable, etc.

---------- Post added 16th Sep 2013 at 08:39 PM ----------

Yeah, we were thinking it might be. Would something like two full weeks be okay, or would it have to be only one?

5. Theoretically, the more people you get to do it, the shorter the time you'll need to make a splash.

After Day of Silence became popular, some people in my state got together and said "hey, we don't feel like being silent this year, so let's say screw that!" so they organized a march to the capital with a rainbow flag and a bunch of cool stuff. They organized by contacting LGBT groups in a bunch of the state schools and LGBT groups in our more liberal areas and hundreds of people showed up.

I think they noticed us that day and it only was a few hours.

Think of what you can do with only a few days of speaking out. Or a week. I personally think it's easier to organize (this is more for events) if it's just a day. But really, do it however long you want to do it because you'll be doing something and that's awesome. (&&&)

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What if I wore a glove so that I wouldn't have to worry about getting paint on food or something like that? Also not having to worry about the paint coming off of my hand?

I think it's a cool idea :grin:

7. Ceruleann

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Personally I'd be very in favor of the bracelet take on the idea, I feel like we could do that year round. By the reverse of the logic that says a more impacting thing to do could be done over less time and still make a splash, something less noticeable and more practical could make a splash just by being done over the course of a long period of time.

8. justjade

I work in fast food, so I couldn't do it. I could wear a purple bracelet or something though. Maybe one with a purple hand on it. Hm....

9. sammy1

Yah that wouldn't work too well for a lot of people...and depending on what dye u were to use it would just fade with every hand wash anyways

10. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I don't know if I could possibly dye my hand purple, but I'd absolutely be willing to wear a purple bracelet. (Hey, also my hair is purple so that counts, too?).

I don't think it's a dumb idea, just perhaps a bit impractical for everyone to colour their right hand purple for an entire month considering requirements at work or school (I doubt having a coloured hand would be allowed). So, I'm all for the bracelet idea. And we could wear those year-round, not just one specific month.