1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on clothing? (Bigender)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by theBigBadBonobo, Sep 20, 2013.

1. theBigBadBonobo

Hey there, everyone. Just stopping by due a need for advice.

You see, I am bigender. I've only learned this recently, so I'm still in the process of obtaining supplies necessary to pass as a woman (I was assigned male at birth). The problem is that I'm 6'1" and I weigh 190 pounds. Any advice regarding where I can get feminine clothing that would fit me? For that matter, any advice on making my body look feminine (creating cleavage or the illusion of an hourglass figure, for instance)?

2. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Are you bigender or transgender?
    As I understand it bigender is feeling as both genders either at the same time or changing back and forth.

Being born one gender and feeling the opposite is transgender not bigender.

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, bigender falls under transgender, but it's a non-binary identity, unlike with transsexuals who identify as strictly male or female. I had a period when I considered being a transwoman, but it went away, so now I'm seeing where it goes... same with my bisexuality: as soon as I noticed my attraction to men, I thought that was it, but then it shifted again, and I still notice women. These things might change in the future, but that's not a concern for me right now.

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Sure that's what I'm referring to in the second sentence of my post.
    What I'm trying to ask is: Does she feel like she's a woman or does it fluctuate?
    Because his/her post comes across as wanting to be or dress like a woman.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going by the assumption that they're bigender, so they probably want to get in touch with their female side. At least, with a lot of the ones I've met online, they'll usually fluctuate between the two, with a few of them presenting androgynous during others. For instance, one keeps their hair long and has even partially transitioned, while another wears female ear rings even in "male mode".

They're probably used to presenting strictly male and looking to experiment. Since I'm just as clueless and coming from a similar spot, I'll be following this thread closely for tips from other members.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they're called big and beautiful, but they are stores for larger and taller woman. Just Google big and beautiful stores, you'll find a bunch.

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I've tried dresses and skirts before, just didn't find them all that comfortable to jeans or shorts.
    I think it's a bit simplistic though to reduce gender to the type of clothes you do or do not wear.

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Some people find that changing their outer appearance to express themselves helps to validate their gender identity, and while it might mean full-blown transition for some, for others, it might be as simple as a change of wardrobe, adopting certain mannerisms, and/or being referred to with specific names and pronouns. Everyone is different.

I'm going for a more androgynous appearance, myself, but even if I were to present as female, I wouldn't be the strict dress and skirt type (well, alright, a few skirts are really cute...)

Really, this all transcends sexuality and gender.

9. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I get that.

:icon_bigg
    I just go with what fits comfortably.

That's my point, I fully agree.

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm wanting to go for a more androgynous appearance too. Right now, the bulk of my wardrobe is polo shirts and khakis or cargo pants... Do you have any tips?

11. StormySea

Dang, 6'1"? What I'd give for your height! xD
    Anyway, hi! I'm from the opposite end of the bigender scale so I'm afraid I can offer much advice except that in my experience, creating as androgynous as an appearance as possible is a huge help so you can focus really on clothing, because clothing is an easier thing to change from day to day. There are also smaller things you can focus on such as mannerisms; the way you walk and talk when identifying as male or female. (For example girls walk with more their hips (like walking on a tightrope really) then guys and tend to swing their arms a bit more freely.)
    I have friends that are female and in the 5'10"-6' range (so your hight won't necessarily give you away ;D) and I know many stores tailor to taller customers. As for specific stores, I tend to see a lot of LGBT peeps at my local Urban Outfitters. I mean, I could buy board shorts and boxers there and no one'd bat an eye :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: No idea of that's just how it is at my local one though...

However, if you really don't care what people think when you're buying clothing (and if that's the case I mean go you holy crap) or just buying online, I know Long Tall Sally is a big name (Tall Women's Clothes at Long Tall Sally | Tall Girl apparel and TallCrest shoes), Old Navy has a tall section, Nordstrom is great for large shoe sizes, and Victoria's Secret has just about everything. Avoid J.Crew though- they have a wide range for tall clothing, but the material they use in their clothing just falls apart after 2 washes. :/

Hopefully this helps you a bit- sorry I'm not very useful in this scenario! >~<

12. theBigBadBonobo

OP here. Thanks for the advice so far! Just to clear things up...

By bigender, I mean that I feel masculine and feminine in equal measure. I am okay with any pronouns, and I'm comfortable with presenting as male; it's just that I do often fluctuate, and there are periods of time during which I definitely feel more feminine. I'm mostly interested in feminine clothing because I don't feel dressing in an androgynous manner would really cut it for me.

Thank you so much for your advice as of yet. I appreciate it.