1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MtF in need. Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Momosboy, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Momosboy

Hey, EC. It's Momosboy again. I'm an MTF transgender, but I only know very basic things. I know a bit about makeup, but I kinda want to know more. Also, hair styling or tips. I want it long and femmy. It curls up, and I can't fix it, so I cry at night.

Also, how do I revamp my wardrobe? It's so dreary! I think I have, like, ONE shirt that's a little girly, but that's it! No pink, (I love pink, so it's torture), no pastels, nothing! Please, anyone... help a poor girl!

2. SilverGirl

hi there! (*hug*)

well, im starting too so i dont know much, i want to try make up but im not sure what im supposed to buy and how do i use it...

anyway, its not hard to make it straight and more feminine, first let it grow and then just use a hair iron and in most cases it looks very good, at least for me lol, you can also do it in any hair salon if you dont want to do it yourself, its also cheap, my hair is very curly but i straighten it often so people dont even know its curly lol, if you want you can take a look at my album, i really love what the hair iron can do to my hair!

i already know what kind of clothes i want to buy, but i cant because my mom would be angry if i bought them, and i still dont know if i would look good or pass in them so im not sure im ready to use them yet, but you could go to stores and try a few on, if you dont want to buy female clothes yet, try looking for more "feminine" man clothes (if there is such a thing lol)

you can also try painting your nails pink or any other color you like! or even make cute nail art!

another tip is choosing an eyebrow style, i dont like mine too arched so i mostly refined it a bit, and i will be testing other styles in the next months

waxing is also good to get rid of body hair, its cheap, fast and its not as painful as people make it to be, actually it will make you feel so good (if you dont like body hair and want to get rid of it that is) that you wont even feel a thing lol

you can also try on jewelry such as bracelets, rings, earrings, necklaces, anklets and such :icon_bigg

3. Andrea Langley

There's a lot that can be done if you want to show the girl you are inside, even if you are apprehensive about being completely out to the world.

I myself am in transition and not ready to be full-time quite yet (need electrolysis, and more confidence...) but there's many things that help.

1) I too would get really down about my unruly hair. There's only two things that have helped me: A flat-iron and smoothing-oil treatment (spray). A flat-iron will work wonders on hair that is way too wavy or curly. Just a couple rules: Never flat-iron wet hair. Use a smoothing spray/product that has oil and is designed for ironing/blow-drying (I use Keratin). ...Anyway it is a total life-saver and helps me exit the house with more confidence.

2) Clothing! No worries, probably the first step is simple observation: What sort of clothing do girls your age wear? You'll notice that lots of girls wear shirts and jeans, just like guys do. The trick is that girls wear clothing that fits (guys tend to like baggy clothes, but not all the time). Also, girls layer tops much more than guys - tank, shirt, sweater, jacket, etc., and simply looking around at what others do, or watching a movie (etc.) can help with what-goes-with-what. I usually wear clothes in monochrome (grays, whites, blacks), which are neutral, and also flat-colors, not necessarily pink (but it's still ok!), even greens, blues, yellows are fun.

3) Shaving really feels nice and is a great confidence/self-esteem booster. I have an epilator (automatic hair-plucker) but even shaving with a razor is fine. Smooth skin is very feminine and yet it in-and-of-itself isn't overtly "girl-only" if you're worried about it. Even under jeans and a long-sleeve top it still feels awesome. Also, if you are on hormone replacement therapy (HRT), body hair thins and eventually goes away in many areas.

4) Behavior cannot be underestimated. Good posture in sitting/standing/walking, clear annunciation of words, smoother steps with loose (not purposefully swaying) hips, gentle hand movement, relaxed shoulders, calmer speech... All those add up and are very noticeable, in a good way.

I dunno, there's probably more, but those might help, I hope.

Like the first reply stated, accessorizing and shaping your eyebrows is another nice way to feminize ^_^

#3 Andrea Langley, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  4. Momosboy

Thanks SO much, you two!

5. artiewhat

I can't really help with the stuff other than the makeup...
    Check out youtube for tutorials etc.. It really depends on the style you want.

If going to a store and buying some is a problem or someone is being rude and asking why you're buying makeup and you want to stay on the lam say you're gf wanted you to pick some up. Or you can order online. Oh! Also, I don't know what your area is like or if you have a good Target but some Targets train their staff in LGBTQ issues so they can be quite welcoming. (This is my experience at least.)

If you aren't sure what style of makeup you want, look at women's and teen's fashion magazines and makeup blogs. A lot of the teen ones have tutorials too.

Once you know your style, look for you-tubers/bloggers/vloggers that share it with you and pick up ideas from them.

Hope this helps, have fun and experiment! (*hug*)

6. StevieB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like to go to department stores (mainly Dillard's) for makeup. The are very friendly to me when I need help. They even help me out in the hosiery and womens' departments.

7. Thea

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not sure where you are and what resources are available there, but do you have any friends in your community who can help you out? I started transitioning recently and hadn't dressed as a woman since the early '90s when I was just 20! I am rather lucky to have friends who are in fashion, hair and makeup and theater arts. They have offered advice and help with picking things that are age appropriate, hip and fun, and flattering and that I feel comfy in. To make it easier for them I've also been going through fashion mags and catalogs picking out looks I like so I am not just accepting what somebody else says but coming up with a "style" that reflects my personality. I cannot overemphasize how important a support network is for me. I would never have the strength to do this without a lot of help.

8. AvowingAvery

You're going about it all wrong.
    There's no guide book to looking a certain way. Just go to the mall and buy clothes that you want to wear. Go to a hair stylist and look through one of the many books they have to find a style you like. Go through Google images or YouTube for tutorials or pictures of doing makeup if you're not great at yourself.
    It's not about what you think you should look like, it's about looking like you.

9. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you can't get your hair to straighten, you could try soft, loose curls. They're very chic and feminine, though I couldn't tell you if they're difficult to do or not myself. :slight_smile:

Also, try adding a few things to your wardrobe at a time. You can make major changes little by little, and nobody will find the changes dramatic or shocking. It worked for me, though I'm going the other way and already had a tendency to wear muted hues and monochromatic colors.

The best advice I can think to give though is just to observe. Look at how other girls about your age dress. Look at magazines and online. And think about what you like, and how to go about working it into your wardrobe and everyday look. :slight_smile:

10. Momosboy

That'd be great, if I lived near girls my age! I am the youngest in my area. Actually, that's not true. But there are no teens or 20-year-old girls.

11. Momosboy

Already handled it, Jess.

12. raven35

raven35 Guest

Momosboy, I'm glad you asked that question because I had the exact same question.