1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Risky situation

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ConfusedRunaway, Sep 20, 2013.

1. ConfusedRunaway

So, I have my next therapist appointment on the twenty-fifth, for non-gender related reasons, and I'm not sure if I should tell her or not about my gender identity. Has anyone under eighteen ever done this? I can't have my parents find out, it'll end horribly, but I really could use any advice and references she has for this. I'm just afraid she'll tell my parents, even if I ask her to keep it a secret. Will she keep it confidential? Or will she end up telling my mother and father? I'm just very afraid, but I could really use any advice she has.
    Thank you.

-Kisa

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe I was 17 when I came out during my very first session. After all, it was the reason I was there in the first place (or at the very least it was the root of my problem). I knew it would probably eat me alive if I didn't say anything from the start.

Will she keep it confidential, yes. They have a policy of keeping things hush unless you give consent or you're life is in danger (like being suicidal or implying that you're such). Both people I've seen have kept it confidential until/unless I gave them a thumbs up to let my parentals know.

Honestly, the only time my family ever got involved was when I said they could bring one of them back to report about how I was going at home or if the therapist and doctors said I should go back to the hospital (when I was deeply depressed and heavily suicidal).

So basically, they can't tell your parents shit for confidentiality reasons which should be mentioned in a paper you signed with them if I'm not mistaken.