1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderqueer?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by wittyusername, Sep 23, 2013.

1. wittyusername

I've been thinking about this constantly lately, and I'm just curious. Now, I know only I can say what gender I am. Just wanted to get others opinions. I appreciate any help. :slight_smile:

So, when I was a kid, probably until I was 10 or 11, I wanted to be a boy. I dressed like one, acted like one, had all boy friends. After that, I was happy being a girl, back to wearing girl clothes. So I just thought the whole dressing like a boy, wanting to be a boy, was a phase. But recently I'm questioning again. Mostly because I just learned that there are other genders, and I don't have to fit in the male or female boxes. I don't want to be a guy, or, I'm not a guy, I know that. Here are the reasons I'm questioning:

-I wear almost all guy clothes, and I'm happier when I look more like a guy, sometimes wearing sports bras to make my chest sort of flat. I also tend to act and think like a guy, it comes naturally.

-Pronouns. I try to avoid using "she/her" for myself. I don't know, it just feels weird. Wrong. I also never call myself a woman.

-I think that had I been born a man, I would have been perfectly comfortable. I've always felt that way, it's just now I realize maybe everyone doesn't feel like that.

-I like the masculine features of my body, but not so much anything feminine. I wouldn't say that I hate my female body parts, and I wouldn't be comfortable with male body parts, but they're just...weird. I don't know if that's normal or not.

Maybe I'd be fine identifying as "female" forever. I honestly don't know. Thanks for any insight, I'm a little confused here. :slight_smile:

2. Dijit

Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel pretty similar, although I was born male. I don't think I could just straight up say I am or want to be female but calling myself a male feels wrong too. I don't know if it's from all the years trying to fit in as a proper boy or if I'm just not either one.

3. wittyusername

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I always think of myself as me, I just don't label myself as "male" or "female". Maybe I'm neither or somewhere in between. Maybe agender, though I'm not 100% sure what that means.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Agender simply means "without gender". Some agender people see themselves as having no gender identity, while others might see it as a gender identity in itself, so really, it's up to you to decide which fits best.

Genderqueer is basically a catch-all for non-binary identities, meaning other than strictly "man" or "woman", so there's quite a bit of diversity. I choose genderqueer since I'm fairly certain I fall outside the binary, but also like the inclusiveness, which helps while I try to get a better grasp whether or not I'd like to find a more specific term to describe myself down the road.

5. wittyusername

Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying that, I wasn't sure. Thanks everybody for the input. :slight_smile:

6. Skyline

For years I've refused to allow people to know my gender on the internet, because I'm uncomfortable with being referred to as a man, but I don't want to lie about my gender either. I too avoid using identifying pronouns, and I love it when people just assume I am female. It makes me feel happy. I'm still not sure if it's because I want to identify as a female, or just because I don't like the assumptions people make about me just because of my sex. I don't like stereotypes at all, but pretty much every common conception about males isn't true for me. I stand apart from men, and I've never really understood them.

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Reasons I identify as genderqueer (not saying these are absolute criteria though):
    1. If I were to wake up as a woman tomorrow, I wouldn't mind at all.
    2. Half the time I identify with and communicate with women easier than with my male peers.
    3. Some of my behaviour is considered quite feminine, yet it feels right/natural to me.
    4. I do not care whether someon calls me he or she. (Often strangers on the phone assume I'm a woman)

8. Techno Kid

All of those seem to fit me pretty well so I was wondering if we could PM about it? :slight_smile: