1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a point when Trans folk don't have to use hormones?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Techno Kid, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Techno Kid

I'm just wondering if, say after 10 years, their biological hormone gets replaced with the introduced one? I'm just thinking that it must suck if you have to give yourself a needle ever week (I think) for the rest of your life.

2. Sarcastic Luck

No. Transpeople always have to use the hormones.

Also, injections aren't always the only method. There's patches, creams/gels, subdermal implants, etc

3. Techno Kid

Yeah I thought as much. I've heard that some people go on and off them at different times in their life. Some doctors don't aprove of this though.

Oh I know, I was just putting the one I was more familiar with and I believe is more common?

4. Hexagon

As Sarcastic said, we always have to use them. Hormones have to be generated by something, and unless we figure out a way to make the body do it in the future, there is no other way than artificial hormones. But needles aren't the only method, and they aren't usually every week. The injection I was offered was every 12 weeks. I declined, though, because I didn't want to have to get someone else to do it for me, and I take a gel every day.

Really though, the occasional needle isn't that bad.

5. Techno Kid

I gel does sound a lot nicer.
    Yeah I guess you are right, for example I have to take two allery shot needles every 4 weeks. :slight_smile:

6. toushirojaylee

Good topic though, so by the time I start my transition, it will be like..Hey I'll inject Testosterone for the rest of my life!I'm just afraid of the complications when I get old. :-(

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. It's a lifelong thing. Hence why transition isn't something you do on a lunch break. :wink: I like to think of it as akin to any other needed medication, allergy shots or insulin. It's a way to maintain the treatment for dysphoria- and going back to my example is a disorder (in this case, absence of the correct hormone for a brain wired to receive it) to be managed.

8. Just Jess

Just a quick add, but that's one of the reasons that a lot of us get gender corrective surgeries later. Once we get rid of the things producing the wrong hormones, we can take smaller doses.