1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Started going to group therapy for gender issues...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LEG7930, Sep 28, 2013.

1. LEG7930

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So if you are not familiar with my previous postings on here, I am questioning my gender, born female, but question whether or not I identify more in the FTM spectrum.

So, last week I went to my first group therapy/support group type thing for gender nonconforming people. It was a small group, but it felt good to finally be able to tell someone (even if they were strangers). I'm planning on going again this upcoming week.

Since group therapy is all kind of new to me, what should I expect to get from going, what should I talk about, etc? Does anybody here have any helpful tips from experiences of their own?

Also, not that I intend on starting testosterone any time soon, but hypothetically, say I wanted to start soon, does group therapy "count" towards time spent with a therapist and then getting a referral from the therapist leading the group?

Because I know in the Standards of Care it mentions
    "The duration of the referring health professional’s relationship with the client, including the
    type of evaluation and therapy or counseling to date;" in what the referral letter should include, so I'm wondering if group therapy is part of that.

Thanks!

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's great that you went to the group therapy session, and I'm glad to read that it felt good to be a part of it, and be able to share your story.

I don't have any experiences with group therapy myself but from what I know about it, is that group therapy is designed for participants to feel less isolated, build up self-esteem, be able to share their experiences and thoughts, and be able to relate their experiences to others. It is also designed for participants to gain a sense of hope, and to build self-awareness.

As with any therapy session, be open to suggestions and ideas, as well as experiences of others. Try to relate them to your own, and see where your experiences fit, which will give you the chance to gain further insights.

It is possible that the therapist will gave 'guiding questions or themes' for each of the sessions. You can however, also ask the therapist, if she/he would be willing to share her/his plan for the upcoming sessions, or how future sessions are structured.

The best person to ask that question, would be of course the therapists. Given that the therapist is leading the group, I'd imagine he/she would be. But confirm with him/her. :slight_smile:

3. sguyc

Well, it completely depends on the group. Many of them are straight up depressing, they are support groups after all. MtF groups I think tend to be more depressing for obvious reasons. Its a good way to get your thoughts out there but don't let the people in the group influence you too much, you don't have to do the same things they do or act like they do. Finding people in your age range will make it a much better experience.

4. LEG7930

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks both of you for the reply. I went again since posting the original post, and I just kind of let all feelings I had been holding up go. Felt good.