1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to push gender-boundries more

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LateNightWolf, Sep 30, 2013.

1. LateNightWolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always known that if I had been born male I definitely would have worn jeans, a t-shirt, ripped cargo pants with chains and an open jacket one day and the next would have worn skirts or dresses, possibly stolen and stuffed my younger sisters bras or even put on make-up (which i don't wear at all- I actually disagree with the ideas of make-up- it's the feminist deep inside of me.), just to mess with people, and enrage them, and have them be angry and confused. I'm not trying to disrespect any transgender, bi-gender, fluid, or cis person by saying this, so please don't take that the wrong way. I just love to mess with people, to have them question something, frustrate them. As well as expressing myself in so many different ways.

If I had been born male my dad definitely wouldn't have approved if I wore skirts like I know I would have, so I'm unsure about where that might have lead, definitely not to physical violence, maybe teasing verbal or emotional abuse though, but I can easily put up with that. My mom wouldn't care, would most likely encourage me, and all but one of my siblings would probably have no problem. So thoughts on family is not something I worry about. Really my family is very open-minded and I have too many siblings for them to worry about something as small as my orientation or gender-identity/expression.

Again, I love to mess with people, frustrate, enrage them, confuse them, I love to push gender boundaries, the way you can express yourself and present yourself. The possibilities, the ideas, the thought of ripping out of the social 'norms' and generally causing outrage among the homophobes in my school and class and society excites me. It fascinates me. I love to shock people.

I was born female though, and have very feminine features, although I dress masculine and have the 'I don't give a crap' attitude that is typically ideal in males so before people hear my voice I'm usually mistaken for male, which I love to hear or see someones face when they realize I'm actually not a 'man'. So I don't think I can be as shocking when dressing as a man as a man dressing as a woman might be, really a girl wearing jeans isn't pushing gender boundaries as much as it was forty-or-so years ago.

Really I consider myself genderless and dress as gender neutral as possible although one day I may be more masculine or feminine than another depending on my mood or the time I have in the morning to give a shit about what I wear. I don't think gender should be or is just limited to male or female. So really, I think I'm already pushing gender-boundaries in away, I know I am actually.

But I want to push them more, again frustrate enrage, confuse people further, explore myself and express my lack of gender more, my ability to be whatever I feel like, to show that I am ME :icon_bigg . Unfortunately I'm a 'girl' and have usually been addressed as one (which I usually despise, considering the things that are usually connotative with 'girls'), so no one will think twice if I wear jeans and a t-shirt nowadays, and usually I avoid skirts and dresses.

I'm curious about what other ways to push the boundaries. I talked to my, self-proclaimed, gender-queer ex but they're not really any help since they are, in-fact, female and prefer to be referred to as female and dress typically in a feminine way. One of my best friends is bi-gender and like me will often switch from male to female but doesn't really explore anything in-between. I think it'd be best to get the opinions/facts/help from people themselves instead of from odd news-articles online or similar things.

So, what are more ways I can push the boundaries? What do you think would be best? (Bullying really isn't a problem for me, I have high-tolerance and scared most bullies away years ago with my personality.) Any tips or personal thoughts?

Thank you for reading through all that! Some responses would be awesome! :smilewave

2. DoriaN

I had a similar sickness, but idk how give tips =[

3. JustAnotherSoul

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, have you thought about binding? I think it's also pretty cool to do stuff like bind while wearing dresses, etc. Neat stuff can also be done with artistically drawn stubble/facial hair.

4. Nick07

lol, this is not the first time I hear this. You certainly have fellows.

What about a beard and women's clothes? I know there are women who have a real beard (hormonal thing?) and I was surprised to learn how good and natural it looked. I would have never guessed. It has perhaps a lot to do with the selfconfidence the women certainly have.

5. Just Jess

Oh yeah? OH YEAH? OH YEAH?

Seriously don't worry about it. You don't need to walk on eggshells, and I hate that people sometimes feel like they have to with this stuff.

Honestly I felt a little bit of that the first couple times I tried on peep-toed flats in the store. I was doing it in boy mode and the IDGAF of it all felt pretty good. Like I had just won over all that pressure that had kept me in the closet and terrified for so long, it wasn't a big deal any more. If it didn't make me feel even more like crap about myself wearing skirts when I have facial hair I'd probably do it too. But yeah I think people that do gender bending are pretty awesome people on the whole.

Really I think the reason a lot of us feel the way we do and say what we say about the whole obviously-a-guy-in-a-dress stuff is because that's all that's out there, and it's always the butt of a joke. I don't take myself overly serious, but you know, when there's nothing else but, it does make things harder to come to terms with yourself.

Ironically enough, I think personally if there were more people like you that just do it just to screw with people and have fun, then it would be easier for those of us that do need to transition to come to terms with who we are and have more self respect. People like me that need to go the whole 9 yards have to spend some time in the middle anyway, so if there were more people making the middle feel good, then I think it would be easier to transition, is the way I look at things.

Just the way things are right now... well you said it yourself, you'd be gender bending to express yourself, right? Well, a lot of us can't express who we really are, and sometimes when it all gets overwhelming, we just need to be able to get it out how much it sucks being viewed as a Mrs. Doubtfire every day, and I think maybe you overheard some of that and were worried you might be offending people? I can only speak for me, but you so aren't.

Also, and this is really a big thing with a lot of us, when we come out the most common reaction people have is "why can't you just ______". That's all coming out, gay, trans, a superhero from another planet, whatever. Well, our fill in the blank when we say "I need to change my physical sex" is... and here I am worrying about offending you, but people will tell us "why can't you just be a cross dresser" or "why can't you be genderqueer" or the far more common and even MORE offensive "why can't you be gay". From people that would probably do the exact same thing if we told them we were gay nonetheless, and nevermind what our actual sexual preference is. In fact, I usually think about this onion article where they joke about people being one sex change away from a gay marriage, Conservatives Warn Quick Sex Change Only Barrier Between Gays, Marriage | Video | The Onion - America's Finest News Source . Everyone's got to go through this stage, it's called bargaining. And a lot of us have dealt with a lot of people's bargaining phase. Which, again, we need to be able to complain about sometimes.

So please do NOT let that crap get in the way of you expressing yourself. It's got nothing to do with you. There is plenty of room for both of us and again I think you're pretty awesome :slight_smile:

Right so practical advice. You know when I hear the word "genderqueer"... did you ever see the Keanu Reeves "Constantine" movie? The angel from that? That's my idea. Really angels are the first thing that comes to mind when people tell me they don't have a gender. Or Desire from the Sandman comics if you've ever read those.

If you haven't there's something useful for you there, 'e wears a lot of suits. I think suits and uniforms of any kind really are good for that androgynous, both-sexy-and-handsome look.

And yeah if you are going for just screwing with people's perceptions you can't do better than a beard and a dress. When I was in drama (and too young to grow any real facial hair yet) the way we would do it was, there's some kinds of glue that are safe to put on your face like this stuff,

Amazon.com: Water Washable Costume Theatrical Face Facial Adhesive: Clothing

and then for hair, those cheap hair extensions at the dollar store, cut one up in the kitchen and voila, beard hair for a buck.

6. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

That was my dad. He hated the idea of me doing girly things.

:icon_bigg

#6 Starry Eyes, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013
  7. JustAnotherSoul

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you Cassie. I wanted to quote your whole post and then put five million smily faces, but that seemed excessive. So instead I'll just say, you're awesome.

8. LateNightWolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the links and advice! You guys gave me a couple ideas. Halloween is coming up so it should be easy to get some cheap extensions to try out the facial hair things, I hadn't thought about that before and so far is sounds awesome. I'm worried about how to wear it though, (i have no idea how you would put it on.) Thanks again.