1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Specific products to cover beard shadow

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by solarcat, Oct 4, 2013.

1. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Even after shaving all smooth, there's still beard shadow, and it keeps me from looking in mirrors. I've looked up some tips on how to hide it, but I'm wondering if anyone has any brands/ products they'd recommend. I'd hate to spend money on something that doesn't work. Any suggestions?

2. Rivers Shadow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Having the same trouble myself... Would love to hear from others on this.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to use regular liquid foundation from whatever random shop I happen to buy it from...

4. Just Jess

I still have this problem. Even though I'm doing laser the parts that I haven't gotten to yet show up even more.

Foundation + blush usually does it for me. I'm like ElliaOtaku, I get the cheap stuff. Except I do try to match my skin tone, if you've got guts one day they have sheets of plastic in the cosmetics section of most stores you hold over your arm that will tell you. Also just 'cause I like having fun with it, I buy one shade lighter and one shade darker.

But even if the shade you buy doesn't quite match, as long as you blend it in well you should be fine. The blush does the real magic (for me anyway, I have dark hair), just put it on where you expect a little more red is all.

Also when you shave, if there's lots of steam in the room, you'll get a closer shave and will be less likely to get cut or razor burned.

If you do ever razor burn the crap out of yourself like I do sometimes, there's aloe of course, and I know you are going to call me a crazy woman, but oatmeal helps with that too, seriously. Just don't feel like "ha ha joke's on me the internet told me to put oatmeal on my face and I did it and now I look ridiculous". They sell powdered (called "colloidal") oatmeal at the dollar store sometimes, so this isn't just me being weird, lots of people do it. But yeah, it clears it right up.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Plus it covers up razor burn and the odd slice quite nicely! Last time I went out I accidentally made about 30 small cuts from my chin to my neck in a thick line (damn broken blade!) and didn't realise it until I washed my face and found blood in the sink xD. Dried it off, bit of foundation later you'd never know!

Probably not a CLEVER move, introducing cosmetics to an open wound but still...

6. Just Jess

Oww!

I've done the same thing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So, I actually put some makeup on (it's still on, but I'll remove it before bed). I reeeeeallly wish I could have found a makeup girl to advise me on what to get, but I live near nowhere, and none of the stores nearby have a cosmetics department with a salesperson who could help find my shade.

So I got some powder, hoping that'd be all I need to cover my shadow. Nope. The next day, I got some liquid foundation. Both were Covergirl brand, 'cause I figured they're a trusted brand. I think what I got was a shade or two lighter than what's optimal for my skin tone (I really wish there was a salesperson who could have helped me there), but what I got really helps. Doesn't hide it all, but really makes the beard shadow almost not noticeable. Except for above my lip; dunno why, but mustache hair is thicker/ darker than beard hair. So it's still visible, but bot as much as before. Happy me :slight_smile:

I shave in the shower, so plenty of hot steam. I've heard it's best to put off shaving til you've been out of bed at least 10 minutes (to let your face de-puff from a night of being on a pillow), and once the shave cream is on to leave it for about 3 minutes before shaving. Then I shave twice; once with the grain, reapply cream, then shave against. I've heard some say not to, but I've heard some say yes, and it works for me.

After I'm dry, I put lotion on my face, let that soak in a few minutes, then put on foundation. Let that dry, then I put on the powder. I think concealer goes on after foundation, but I have none (maybe should get some). Afterwards, I look okay. But practice and experience makes perfect, I guess.

8. tranwoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    when you get readly to shave, have the water as hot as you can get it. use conditioner
    not shaving cream ur face will feel much smoother and u have less cuts and the shadow will stay away a little longer

9. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    conditioner, like the kind normally used in hair? That's an interesting suggestion.

I got some concealer, but it's not quite enough. Would a darker shade help better (I'm fairly certain what I got is a shade or two too light for my skin)

10. Lipstick Leuger

Amazing Cosmetics.

You can get them at ULTA or Sephora. The stuff is made to cover up blemishes, scars, and burns, uneveness ....and it works. It is a bit pricey but the stuff lasts forever!

Also, go to one of the above stores, find a male associate, (but truly the girls are used to guys buying makeup there), and have him/her show you some techniques to cover up. You can get good videos from Youtube on how to apply these items correctly also.