1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Father vs. Mother?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by bluerain, Oct 4, 2013.

1. bluerain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ive been thinking a lot about my gender recently, and I'm almost positive that I should be a man. Except the only thing that I still have an issue over (and I don't know why) is the fact that I don't know if I want to be a "dad" or a "mom." If I'm a guy I should want to be called a father, right?

2. Zac

Zac

Not always.
    I want to be male but I never want to be called father or mother, probably because I don't want children

3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Well, I think it makes sense how If you spend most of your life thinking of yourself in female terms, it might be a bit hard to see yourself in male terms. May I ask how you feel about other terms?
    If you're not sure whether you'd want to be father or mother, what about terms like Boyfriend/ Girlfriend, Son/ Daughter, Him/ Her, etc?

4. JustAnotherSoul

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remember also that there's lots of other terms. There's Baba or Papa or pretty much any other name you can think of. There are also names for father, mother, or simply parent in languages that aren't English.

There are lots of ways to think about parent titles. Some people do define a dad as any male parent, but some people define dad as a non-birth parent (so if you adopt or use surrogacy, both/all parents are dads), and some define a dad as any parent who has a particular sort of relationship with their child (although what that relationship is varies wildly). So maybe the reason you don't feel like dad would be a good fit is because your idea of dad doesn't mesh with your vision of dad. That's okay, it doesn't mean you're any less of a man.