1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to doctors

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BookDragon, Oct 6, 2013.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I am gradually working my way down the list of people I feel compelled to actually TELL that I am trans.

My friends know, and I'm working on my family. However I have hit a snag.

I am stuck living at home, there is nothing I can do about this. My mum is under the impression that my sisters aren't ready to know about this yet. To her credit she is taking steps to introduce them to 'diversity' (our town is probably the least diverse place I've ever been!) and plans to tell them 'at some point'. Problem is there first 'diversity trip' is in mid November. So she probably won't be telling them until after christmas.

I on the other hand am getting impatient. I know I have to wait and I will, but I can't decide if it's worth going to the doctors and telling him to refer me to wherever it is he needs to refer me to. As I understand it there is a period of RLE you have to go through before you can get HRT, but I don't want to be referred only to have them tell me it was a waste of time because I can't be me at home!

Should I just leave it for now or do it anyway?

2. rin101

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think (and this is just my opinion--I've been known to be a bit bull-headed) you should just go ahead and tell your doctor. There's doctor-patient confidentiality, so he can go ahead and give you a recommendation right away, and you don't necessarily have to start the next day. As for your mother, I'd tell her how frustrated you are, and that this is hurting you in a lot of ways. You want to be out, and she has to accept that. You believe fully that your sisters will accept you, and you want her to do the same. I would also explain to her just how hard and time-consuming the process of transitioning is. Maybe that can help give her some perspective.
    I hope everything comes out alright for you!

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the response rin. I might go anyway next time I need more tablets...

As for persuading mum to speed things up a bit, I think it's unlikely. I've tried explaining to her, but she maintains this idea that I must be fair to everyone else. Which is fine, but she doesn't seem to quite grasp how unfair it can be for me, not matter how much I tell her...but equally I don't want to force her to accept anything too quick because she will just get stand-offish and start being difficult again!