1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to explain it to children

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BookDragon, Oct 8, 2013.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So here is my situation. I currently live at home and have 2 younger sisters. I used to work in my sisters school so I know like, 200+ local children and their families, some of which my sisters are close to and I see fairly often. My current job involves working in the home of a family friend who has 6 children.

Once my mum decides I can tell my sisters and I can be Holly outwardly I intend to be Holly as much as possible, if not all the time. However, I'm not sure firstly how to explain it to my sisters, but also what to say to any of the other children who at some point will ask about it. My village isn't exactly a diverse place so I'm guessing they probably don't know any trans women.

Any thoughts?

2. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

This is a question I have always wondered about because I know if the kid grows up with an adult in their life who is trans* they are pretty used to the idea.

Critically thinking, would the kids ask you? Or would the parents?

You sound concerned about explaining your life to kids, when they may not be that bold.

A more likely situation is the kids asking their moms and dads about it first.

And it'd be a lot easier to maybe explain to an adult then it would be to a kid. (For obvious reasons).

Hope this helps.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've found the best way to explain things to children is simply and honestly. When a kid asks me why I have a boyfriend, I say "Because I'm the kind of guy who likes other guys instead of girls." They don't need a long explanation about alternate sexualities. Maybe they'll have other questions, but you'd be surprised how often that one sentence explains things fully to them.

You might try something similar. Just say your name is now Holly. If they ask why you changed your name, you can say "I was given a boy's name when I was born, but I'm actually a girl, so I wanted to make my name match who I am."

Lex

4. Emberblaze

I think what Lex said is pretty good advice. You just have to tell them in kid logic.

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, kids generally accept things quickly. Most kids don't have much of a filter, and won't think to stop from asking "are you a boy or a girl?" or other such questions. And most of them will just accept you as whatever you say you are. Some kids are brats, but most of them are pretty unbiased about these things.

It's parents I'd be worried about. They're the possibly biased, usually "concerned" ones. :dry:

I feel you though. I have a young sister, and I'm trying to build up enough confidence to come out to my parents, which eventually means telling her. She's already sheepishly asked me if I'm a boy now, a few times, but until I'm out, I can't really tell her. :confused:

6. suninthesky

This is one of my experiences:

I work a place with 300 kids, the first times will be interesting, but after that you'll be fine. Just be confident and answer their questions as honestly as you can while keeping the detail to the age group. Make sure to help them learn how to be respectful by correcting them on pronouns and any offensive words immediately, once they learn boundaries they will stick with them.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would just say that some boys like boys, some girls like girls, and some boys and girls like both boys and girls. I don't really think you would need to go super in depth to littler children about sexuality.

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The kids will ask because for whatever reason they love me...I could care less about the parents asking. The parents I'm in contact with will probably be OK with it and the ones that aren't are irrelevant.

I have no intentions of going into any depth, that would be completely inappropriate! I'm hoping the years of them all saying "Tee hee ***** is a girl!" to me when I had long hair will make life easier xD