1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do they say that just because it's more interesting?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Skyline, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Skyline

Hi,

So, I have a bit of a complex question. I want your opinion. Sometimes when talking about my gender identity to someone I just met online, I'll flat out tell them that I'm not sure if I consider myself male or female, and that I'm probably somewhere right in-between. Then they tell me that they think I'm a little more on the feminine side... (and this happens in almost every case!) Now, I don't mind being told that; in fact, it makes me rather happy. I think I really would like to be considered more feminine than not. But here's the thing... how can they know? They just met me! Sometimes we've only exchanged a handful of messages! They say they judge based on how I talk. But how much does how I talk really say about me? And if they just met me, they're probably not putting too much thought into it, right?

While it does make me happy to hear that I may have more female in me than I am willing to admit, my concern is that they may only be saying that because it is the more interesting option to them. Aren't the people I meet who want to hear about my gender confusion the people who find gender queer people to be interesting? Maybe they just want me to be more like the opposite sex because it is still exciting and different in their lives. I can't shake the feeling that it may be for some selfish reason like that.

What do you think? Am i reading too much into this? Maybe I'm just denying the fact that my feminine side may be more obvious to others than I thought? After all... I'm struggling to fully and completely accept my male heritage. It is almost counter-productive to admit to wanting to be female.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you ever asked them why they think that?

3. Skyline

No, I haven't asked them directly. But they usually give me a brief sort of explanation, like "it's how you talk," or "based on what you described to me."

I know it's just their general first impressions, so I never really gave it much more thought until now. Maybe I should ask next time it happens.

4. maybeanna

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    IMHO, you should not put much value on such opinions, especially if you have only just "met" the person. The person may be supremely perceptive and/or very very experienced in judging male/female characteristics/behavior, but how would you know that?
    Not to mention the possibility that the person may have an agenda that affects his/her judgement of you.

5. Nick07

haha that's funny, even before getting to your question, I pictured you as a woman. Because "you talk like that" lol

I know that I am not a native English speaker, but this is the first post I have read from you and that was my impression :slight_smile: