1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there something wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by shiro, Oct 17, 2013.

1. shiro

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This might not make any sense, but I'm going to try my best to put my thoughts into words...
    I feel like my mind doesn't connect with my body. They are two separate things with two different personalities. My body's personality is one that I created to be how people want me to be. I hate that personality so much, it feels very fake and I don't think I can be truly happy unless I destroy it. My mind is where my true personality lives, but I keep my true self locked up because I don't want anyone to know about it for some reason. I think it might just be because I'm a shy and private person. Inside my head is the only place where I can be myself and still be comfortable. It's where I can feel free and live the way I want to without having to worry about other people.
    When people call me by my birth name or use feminine pronouns I try to block out what they said. I hear people and I know that they are talking to me, but I pretend that they are talking to my body not me. The strange part is that I don't get upset or angry, I just become completely emotionless. When I know what they are going to say is what I don't want to hear (only things related to gender) I start hearing a noise like this. I can still hear their voices, it's just quieter. It's like I separated from my body for a little while so I don't feel like they are talking to me just my body. The only thing that makes me upset is when people literally say I am a woman, and oddly I don't usually block that out with noise. At first I get a bit confused why they are calling me a woman and then I remember...
    Also, my appearance makes me feel terrible no matter what I do with it. If I look like the young lady I'm supposed to be I feel extremely uncomfortable/wrong. If I look the way I want to I feel completely fine when I'm alone, but when other people are around I feel really ashamed. I think the way I feel about this has less to do about what I actually look like and more to do with how people will see me. I just can't be satisfied with a physical appearance at all. The thing I hate the most is when I look into the mirror and I feel like I'm looking at a stranger. My head/face seem to belong to me most of the time, but when I take off my shirt it feels strange and wrong. Like I'm looking at something really disgusting but for some reason I can't look away. Sometimes I feel like if I stabbed my body I wouldn't be able to feel any pain.
    I really wish I could stop feeling so detached, but I don't know how to control it.
    Is this a common thing for trans* people to experience?

2. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I often feel detached from my physical self, and almost always feel uncomfortable with my appearance. I don't know how common it is for other people, could be a manifestation of body dysphoria.