1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgenders

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ylee022, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Ylee022

Out Status:
    Some people
    How long does it take for you to get used to your sex change? I am still confused right now and I have been questioning myself a lot lately. It doesn't feel right to call myself a lesbian so I never labeled myself and just allowed people to call me whatever they want. I've had multiple dreams of me as a man and when I was younger I used to have that desire to have a man's body. So I just want to know how it feels like after you've had your sex changed. Was it scary having to make that big decision?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not like it all happens at once, it's a really long process.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, it'll take years to transition and your path to transition may not necessarily follow the model another guy (or woman) may take. For instance, assuming someone's FtM (since I'm FtM and may as well use what I'm familiar with) they may follow the traditional path of testosterone treatment -> top surgery -> hysterectomy -> metio and/or phalloplasty as far as medical transitionining goes. Other guys may do only top and hormones, others just top, or even none of the above.

By the time you decide whether to transition and what that entails, keeping in mind your views may change as you go about life, I'm sure along with that will come changes in your quality of life as well. A sex change isn't the end all, be all. When you transition, there's certainly a lot of adjusting in terms of living life as your true, albeit unassigned, gender, with much of it social.

In the years before and while transitioning, I'm sure one will have plenty of time to come to terms with it. Now if you mean how someone feels once they've had bottom or sex confirmation surgery, that's another story I unfortunately can't answer yet, seeing as I have yet to get to that point.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't happen all at once as others have said. It's a long process that takes years.

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

It's a long process that takes months, years of therapy even just to begin considering the basics (such as starting hormone replacement therapy). Surgery, such as sex changes, don't happen right off the bat. And some trans* people don't consider (bottom) surgery at all. I'm one of them.

6. Ylee022

Out Status:
    Some people
    I know it doesn't happen all at once. I know it takes time but what I am trying to say is that once you've completed the transition, how it would feel to live differently from before.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well your transition could be considered complete when you feel comfortable in your own skin. So...you know, you would feel comfortable.

8. Ylee022

Out Status:
    Some people
    Has anyone ever give you any negative comments? Whenever I am around my relatives, they all stare at me and talk about how I am. They all disrespect me and forbids their kids to hang out with me because they think I am a bad influence.

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah my mums full of 'em even though she thinks she's being quite reasonable. The difference is I feel good about myself. I know who I am even if she thinks I'm an idiot or insane or whatever.

10. Ylee022

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well that's good. Some people are ashamed of who they are. I like how I am and I'm not ashamed but I still have a lot to learn about myself. Do you like the idea of labeling a person or yourself? Whenever someone ask me if I'm a lesbian, I tell them I don't like labels but I am attracted to women.

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Labels can be useful but I'm not fond of them. They rarely apply properly and nobody seems to understand them anyway!

If you tell someone you're bisexual, your gay. If you tell them your trans, your gay. If you tell someone your gay its a phase. You can't win with labels.

12. Ylee022

Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly! Some people take them as a joke.

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I asked mum why her initial opinion of trans people was so negative she said it was just a gut reaction. In other words she learned it from others and never questioned it.

When I questioned it, she told me that she had never ever thought about it because it never came up. Most people don't consider their opinions on things at all, but if it doesn't affect them personally they just ignore the issue. Hence the inneffectiveness of common labels.

14. Ylee022

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like labels and I don't think people need it. Some people who finds out that you are either L/G/B/T, they treat you differently from before knowing that about you. And some people treat us like we have some kind of mental illness. And those who are still questioning about themselves stress over which label best fits them. And I struggled with that at first but then I figured I don't need to label myself.

15. Mortimer

Out Status:
    Some people
    So considering this is a transgender question thread and I am not hijacking the thread by any means.

But is it normal for a transgender to like their original body? For me, everyone sees my physical female body as physically female. When I look in the mirror I see a male with my own body. I just wish I didn't have breast. But thats easily acheived I suppose.