1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Katiesoundsgood, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Okay, hi, I kinda need some advice, I'm a guy, physically at least, I've known I was bi for a long time, but recently I've been thinking I might identify as a girl a lot better, I know back when I was young I thought I'd rather be a girl a lot, but I pushed it back because frankly I was bullied enough as it was and didn't need that on top of everything, and eventually I stopped thinking about it at all, but for a while now I've been having weird dreams that got me thinking about it again, and I have to admit it feels more comfortable to think about myself that way, but I'm worried that rather than discovering who I really am I'm just running away from all the stress and crap I've been going through, is there any advice you peeps can give me? Tbh I'm pretty freaked out about it all.

2. rin101

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't blame you for being a little freaked out. It can be some scary business at first.
    There's nothing wrong with being transgender--I know some MTF people who do it quite well, and love their lives. Or, maybe you aren't trans--you might be genderqueer, depending on how strong that inclination towards being a woman is. My honest advice is to start small. Maybe wear slightly more effeminate clothing, shave your face and legs/arms, maybe let your hair grow out a little. Things that can be reversed easily. See how you feel while wearing them. Then, if you decide you want to transition, you can go on to the next step, and the next, and the next. Start small, live happily.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rin's nailed it. Don't rush into anything, just experiment and see what happens!

4. Thankyou for the responses, I'll try what you said, though I'm not sure what counts as more effeminate clothing that would suit me because I'm very self conscious, always wearing hoodies and jeans even in the middle of summer. :slight_smile: Also, Ellia, you're cute and otaku culture is epic. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. rin101

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For cute effeminate clothing that you would feel comfortable in if you're self-conscious, try fitted dress shirts and tighter jeans, maybe with flare legs. There are lots of cute women's clothes that you can feel comfortable in--just take $20 or so and go to Goodwill. Pick out things that make you feel confident and comfortable. You'll look beautiful in anything you choose to wear.
    ((I love otaku culture too, wow. Just finished watching SNK))

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started with underwear. Then a skirt in my bedroom when nobody was home!

7. Joanne

For me trying all kinds of female clothing that caught my eye in the privacy of my bedroom was the first step to processing what my gender identity was.

I would look around stores online and order in things, then keep them in a locked filing cabinet and whenever i wanted I'd put the doorstop under my door so it was "locked" and I would try those items on and see how I felt about it all. Trying it all out in the safety of your own room in my opinion is a great first step.

Combined with shaving everything and having long hair, how feminine I looked the first time I saw myself in a dress blew my mind, was amazing to me how good i Iooked. Was a huge help towards figuring it all out.

From there I decided to take the next step and I ordered some female neutral looking t-shirts that show off my shape and started wearing them normally, it was a huge confidence booster for me, very liberating.

I feel a slow gradual shift is the best way to deal with it all, as it gives your mind time to process It all and figure it all out, and if you decide to eventually go for a major change and come out, the slow process of subtle changes has a way of giving you the confidence to be proud of who you are and it also gently hints to those around you that something may be up, so when the time comes to tell them their subconscious offers all these tiny signs they didn't really pay much attention to, opening their minds up to the idea of it all.

Also a bit too far ahead for you currently, but I find when explaining things to people, it helps you if you avoid using labels to explain. As usually what happens when someone associates a label or movement to you, they immediately assume they know everything there is to know about you and don't listen to you any further. That really isn't how to have a conversation, id much rather explore each others ideas in real time. So for me, when it comes to explaining who I am to those I'm not fully open and close to, I intend to avoid loaded words and labels to decrease the chances of them making assumptions that don't apply to me.

Also, I find that times of stress and suffering have a way of wearing down our guards against problems were avoiding, so it ends up that these periods are actually the best time to start learning about ourselves and sorting out our problems, so with that in mind, I advise that you listen to your thoughts and feelings, and begin exploring what you find.

#7 Joanne, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  8. I tried shaving my legs, it's a nightmare lol, I love how it turned out but I had So much hair on them, I've always hated the hair on my legs, it's thick and dark and just ewww, I used to have long hair, almost down to my waist, but I cut it a few months ago when I was looking for a job. :frowning2: I think for clothes eventually I'd like a pretty gothic style, porcelain doll style dresses, white stockings, long black or white hair, that's what I've always liked best in girls clothes, that and ironically enough more tomboyish styles. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2013 at 07:08 PM ----------

I feel like I'm way too tall for that style though, I'm worried it wont suit me. I already have quite a feminine figure for a "man", especially my waist and legs, but I have big feet and I'm too tall and my nose is too big and crooked and gahhh *brain implodes due to self conscious horror, tearing space time and destroying the universe.*

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    DON'T EVER SAY THAT! NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!

If that's how you want it, you make it work! I want more than anything for someone to look me in the eyes and tell me honestly that I look really cute today! I'm 6'4 and built like a small whale! It's hard work but you can make it work, even if it seems like it might go wrong! (Sorry, I worry when people say things like 'it won't look right' and I panic that it might not happen for me!) :3

Also tomboyish styles are comfy and really great. However if you want to mix it up a bit, try adding a shorter skirt and leggings instead of trousers to your tomboy look!

EDIT: BTW, I assume your username means that you are thinking of using the name Katie if you ever need to...how do you feel when somebody calls you Katie (which is a really cute name btw!)

10. I like it when people call me Katie, it makes my chest feel weird, like nervous, and I get really happy. I feel comfortable with it and I just like the name, also the only Katie I've ever known was Insanely gorgeous, like jaw droppingly unbelievable, and she had the nicest hair in the world, it grew really fast and it was jet black and dead straight, unfortunately she was blind so she never saw any of this, but she was a really good friend of mine, I stopped some teenagers who were moving her stuff around, to which she cracked me in the balls with her cane and said she could look after herself, Katie was epic. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Wow that got off topic. Anyway, I'll try to be less self conscious, I still hate my nose though. Thanks, you're nice. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2013 at 07:30 PM ----------

I mean I never even broke it, it's just randomly broken.

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then I'm going to call you Katie now, K?

Self concious can be OK because it shows you things you need to work on. If I sat here and said 'Well I didn't shave this morning but I can probably wing it!' I'm not going to get out the front door before someone realises I'm not a 'real girl' (GRRRR).

The first time I went out, the illusion was completely blown by the fact that my socks and shoes didn't go with the rest of my outfit at all, afterwards I felt like a complete idiot and I hated it! But because I was self concious I got myself some shoes that DO work and now my clothes look OK...I mean I'm still not as cute as I want to be but I'll get there.

Point is Katie, use your self conciousness to your advantage but don't let it stop you! If you want to dress like a goth-loli maid then you go right ahead and do it! (Also post pic 'cause I want to see it :3 )

12. I actually feel a lot more comfortable about it thanks to that, this is a really nice place, with really nice, helpful people, who actually understand, and I will dress how I want, and I will post a pic as soon as I'm not poor, because girls clothes are mega expensive, especially something like a nice gothloli dress with a good wig or hair extensions. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    But I might try a more tomboy style soon, I feel like I could even wear it outside at the moment, this is the best I've ever felt about myself. :')

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2013 at 08:15 PM ----------

You can call me Katie if you like :slight_smile: . It's a little embarrassing though. :grin:

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell me about it!

I have always hated clothes shopping, mainly because mens clothes are basically crap. In the last 10 years, i think I've owned about 10 pairs of identical trousers and shorts, and worn them with an alternate t-shirt and shirt combo every day.

Now I LOVE shopping, because there are so many cute things I could wear, and I can actually see things I might look good in...it's a disaster! :grin:

Embarrassing, eh? I'm intrigued, why is it embarrassing?

14. I'm not sure, because it's new I guess, different, it's the first real outward sign of what I'm going through, it makes me happy and I get embarrassed when I get really happy. :slight_smile: I hate clothes shopping with people, but I quite like it on my own, I'm pretty decisive about what I want, apparently that isn't a common trait lol, everyone I know takes sooooooo long.

15. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, that's exactly how I felt when people started calling me Holly!

I don't take too long if I went in for something specific...there's only so long you can spend looking at socks y'know? But sometimes if I'm browsing I'm a disaster! Every time I turn around 'oooh that's cute' "woah I'd look good in that" 'Why don't I already own these!?' :grin: I'm so poor now!

16. I'm like that with food shopping, I'm a food lover, luckily I have the metabolism of a small village so I never put on weight, haha eat your hearts out "real" girls.

17. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You lucky thing! *jealous*

18. Muahahaha, oh no wait, one day my metabolism will slow and I will just explode, because I live off things filled with cheese and wrapped in bacon.

19. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least you can enjoy it for a little while...I have to try and force myself to stop eating nice things so I can get thinner! It suuuuuuucks! Stupid brain. I never wanted a boyfriend before (or a partner in general) and now all I can think about is how I want someone to tell me I'm cute and snuggle me on the bed!

20. Cuddling is awesome, it should be mandatory.