1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time going out as a cross dresser

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TuckerDIT, Oct 23, 2013.

1. TuckerDIT

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I have been battling an issue I have with myself and cross dressing. Recently, I have made strides on accepting it and no longer trying to fight it. I have been doing it in the privacy of my home for years now, but I have been thinking about going out. I have a GG friend (I believe I used that term correctly) that has been helping me out and listening to me vent. She agreed to go with me for support if I decided to actually go out. I have no clue as to where I would go or what to expect. I live in the DFW area of Texas and through some googling I found some gay/lesbian bars that have drag shows, but I don't think I would want to be involved in a show. My friend has a wig she said I could borrow, but I'm not sure if I am ready to do make up or not.

If anyone has experience/insight/advice/do's don'ts or anything like that, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you very much

2. SFSorrow

Are you going to any Halloween parties? You could make drag your costume and I very much doubt anyone would bat an eyelid because of all the other costumes everybody else would be wearing. That's what I did the first time I went out in public dressed up a few years ago.

3. TuckerDIT

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I thought about that, however I am busy both Halloween weekends. That really would be the opportune time though. Last year I went as Taylor Swift. I wore a cheap dress, boots and a wig. I did it just for laughs so I didn't really focus on making myself look feminine. What do you do now? Like do you go out normally?

4. SFSorrow

I don't go out during the day to the shops or anything like that, I only get dressed up to go out to a goth/fetish club that happens every two months near where I live. I really like most of the music, the style of clothes I wear fit in pretty well with the theme, and nobody bats an eyelid in a place like that, the goth look is already comparatively androgynous so I just push it a bit, well, a lot, further. If that's not your thing then that's probably of limited help though, as otherwise I only do it every now and then at home. I wasn't going to do it for Halloween this year but if my costume isn't ready in time I may have to do it again as an emergency backup.

Have you tried looking into whether there are any crossdressing social groups near you that arrange events or gatherings? The last time I went to the goth club I was told that there used to be one where I live but it stopped a couple of years ago, rather annoying.

5. TuckerDIT

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I found a trans group that goes out once a month that might be worth a shot. That still might be a little overwhelming if I am honest. I'm not sure how to ease myself in.

6. SFSorrow

I can understand that it might be a bit nerve-wracking, but for me personally going out into the 'real world' dressed up would be much more intimidating than meeting other like-minded people. The first time you might be able to go in ordinary clothes until you feel comfortable.

7. TuckerDIT

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Yeah, I was thinking about going out just by myself dressed like I normally would and kind of take it all in. Another idea I had was if I dressed up around my GG friend just around the house kind of thing. Maybe having someone see me would help with my confidence? I'm not sure though.

8. flatlander48

I can't say about DFW, but around the country there are many businesses that specialize in doing transformations (or makeovers depending on which terms you use) for crossdressers. These are folks with experience in makeup, hairdressing, etc. That could help to allow you to see how good you could look and that might help the confidence issue.