1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know how to do this

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by laernir, Oct 23, 2013.

1. laernir

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    How do you remind people to refer to you with your proper pronouns? I only came out as genderqueer around a month ago, and the people I have come out to still have some trouble calling me they. I know they don't mean it, but I don't know how to remind them gently without sounding stuck up or annoying.

Thanks!:grin:

2. Techno Kid

You have a right to be called by how you feel comfortable. Maybe mention how you feel and ask if they need some clarification. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

3. suninthesky

I'm having the same problem with people calling me by she instead of he. I just don't know how to correct people without making it awkward or sounding rude.

4. Ruthven

Well, this one time, my brother brought over GTA V for me to try out, and it was like one of the early missions, and I was driving real good I guess, and he said "(Wrong pronoun)'s doing it!" And I just corrected him with a simple "he", not too annoyed or anything cause he's awesome and stuff, and he caught himself and it was all good.

It's really that simple if the person's a decent individual, just correct them with your true pronoun and it should be good.

But if they're like my dear 'ol mum, they won't give a damn and continue to be an asshole.

5. confusednafraid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think as long as your polite when you correct them thats your bit done if they choose to get uptight then all you need do is return the favour call them the opposite to their own pronoun and let them see how it feels

6. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    With a great deal of patience.

Try to think of the psychology, mental training, memory, sight association and cognitive processes all linked with human formation of speech.

OK, let's start with walking. If you are able bodied, you walk with a tremendous amount of skill. You can avoid objects without really thinking, probably because most of the impulses for walking comes from your spine rather than your brain. It's instinctive. Muscle memory.

Some things with speech are the same. It's much deeper than words, it's concepts.

Did you know that some language errors, if made consistently during youth, can be incredibly difficult to counter when in adulthood? This is just the nature of how our brain works with language. At least some of what we currently understand.

I don't know your exact situation, but you're dealing with people who have known you as a certain gender, raised you, and called you by all things associated with that gender. It's remarkably difficult to glance at a person and immediately say what they do not know you to be. A great many people currently think that biology determines gender. I'm not advocating anything, I'm just sharing a fact.

Because so many people think that biology determines gender, they will instinctively associate you with the gender in question. Although this is something central to your life, to theirs, it is just a part of it. They have to deal with other people too so they've not thought about it as much as you - it's nothing personal.

I am not saying put up with it. I am just sharing their perspective and using some knowledge to back it up and hopefully reassure you that most of the mistakes will be innocent. This is why I think patience will help.

All the best.