1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identity and my family

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BookDragon, Oct 27, 2013.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So over the past few weeks I've been gradually working through my family and telling them that I am going to be living as Holly from now on. TO some extent they have accepted this however one thing is bothering me.

Names and pronouns specifically. Now obviously I don't expect anyone to be able to automatically go from calling me the name they've known me by for 23 years and instantly be able to call me Holly however. I have heard from almost all of them some variation on "You'll always be **** to me!" or "I don't think i'll ever be able to call you anything other than ****"

Now I know that it's only been a couple of days and they might change in time, but what worries me is that if I don't remind them they won't bother. But equally, if I remind them every time to call me Holly or refer to me with correct pronouns then they will turn round and tell me to 'be patient'. Being patient and giving people time have been the most over-used phrases from my mum in the last few months. Apparently bringing up the topic is considered adding 'unfair pressure' and 'emotional blackmail'.

Is there anything I can do to persuade them to start using MY name without having to keep reminding them?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really cannot offer much advise, because I'm in the same situation right now. What I have been doing is just reminding my parents nicely to call me by my chosen name (Brad) and by male pronouns. I've made progress, but I think that it's one of those things that takes time. They have called you by your birth name for so long that it will take some time for them to become used to your chosen name.

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Same boat. I gave up. Kept saying things like "But you're so beautiful" "You're a ten, [female name], stop this tom boy nonsense".

Oh family.