1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

intersex changing official gender from m to f in uk advice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Joanne, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Joanne

Does anyone have any advice as to how someone that is naturally intersexed and appears female could change their official gender from m to f in the uk without being put on hrt etc?

2. Joanne

So no one has any advice on this topic then?

3. Nick07

Perhaps because we don't understand the question? Do you call youself intersex or do you use it as a medical term? Were you born that way and someone officially decided to label you with the certain gender?

4. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi there,

I'm really sorry no one's helped you. I'd love to help you - but I am totally and utterly out of my depth.

If you haven't already looked, then I'd like to direct you to the stickies and resources:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gende...pful-informative-threads-gender-identity.html

There's also some information here, specifically for the UK:
    Legal aspects of transsexualism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But forgive me for being unable to help you. I'm here to learn myself, so it's like the blind leading the blind.

---

Totally ninjad by Nick07.
    You see? People do want to help you, but we just don't know how...

5. Joanne

I'm trying to avoid getting into specifics because it then becomes complicated and confusing. So I'm trying to present this thread from a more general perspective.

What I want to know, is there any path other than the trans one in the uk for those with anatomy that is outside of the binary model due to various natural means?

For example has hormone levels of a female and has the feminizing effects of them but has the lower male genetalia

Does the NHS put such people through the gender dysphoria therapy gender change route to alter their legal gender or is there a more direct route to updating the legal gender used by the NHS due to such people naturally having mixed anatomy?

6. Nick07

Joanne, I am sorry, I have only a cheap advice: try google or calling the authorities.
    I did some research for an EC member some time ago, and I found a website about similar issues. There was a whole page dedicated to helpful links. But I am not sure if it was an UK based website.

7. Joanne

That's fine, I am indeed exploring other sources of information, so either way I should find out what I need to find out.

8. oh my god I

I don't know how it is in the UK, but medically, intersex conditions are mostly established or suspected based on the genitals... if the biological sex is male I don't think it is likely they would have a specific provision for someone who looks feminine.

Maybe if you got your condition diagnosed, it would be different? But normally, intersex surgeries are there to make it easier to live as the gender of rearing, not to reassign, so they might not even offer what you want to intersex people normally. Not sure about the legal things though.

Is there a reason to not use the trans treatment path? In general, it is much more established and medically/legally supported. If you don't need hormone levels adjusted then there's no reason they'd need to prescribe them just because you are transitioning. If you know your specific condition and would like, I could help you find some info. :slight_smile:

9. Joanne

I have no problems with that path, I just find it a shame that they don't do the compassionate and sensible thing and recognize that somones gender has nothing to do with genitals or sex chromosomes and, especially in situations where thats physically reflected, provide a more direct path towards updating the gender on passports etc.

But I guess there's no hope of anything sensible happening like that any time soon since their only just recognizing the third gender in places like Australia.

I also don't like the idea of being treated like there's something wrong with me, because there's not.

#9 Joanne, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013